Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 10-03-05, 09:40 AM
OC3D Elite

Can i overclock my computer?

This question is asked very often, the simple answer is that it depends what kind of motherboard you are using.

Proprietary Computer manufacturers such as Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway, IBM and most manufacturers use Intel motherboards that have the necessary BIOS options locked. For those users there is always hope, you can try using software overclocking programs, they do not work as good but can give you a boost.

One of the best software overclocking programs is Clockgen

If you are using a custom built computer and do not know if your motherboard has the required options, please download CPU-Z and post its output on this forum to enable us to help you.

Old 11-03-05, 09:55 PM

Also there are other ways, like one simple software called Speedfan, is free and is easy to use, will give you options to overclock very easy.

here is the link

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Any question so far? go and ASK!!!! show your post!
Old 11-03-05, 09:58 PM
OC3D Elite

im not sure that speedfan can overclock. are you sure??
Old 11-03-05, 10:16 PM

Yes, but only with certain motherboards...
Old 11-03-05, 11:47 PM
OC3D Elite

Excelent. Good tip
Old 12-03-05, 01:13 AM

Hi guys, first let me comment, this is one nice and clean looking forum and i know its new, but hopefully it can stay this way as long as we dont get a lot of losers registering, anyhow...i have a question about overclocking. I am an intermediate user who built my first computer recently, yeah! lol. well when i registered for this forum i had to put my pc specs in but i dont know how u guys can see that so i will list them in this post.

-cpu: p4 540 3.2ghz ht with 800fsb and 1mb l2 cache lga 775

-gpu: geforce 6800 (not the gt or ultra : ( i was too poor for those but i can overclock this card from 325 gpu 600mhz memory to 440mhz gpu and 840mhz memory and have it run completely stable, i lucked out u could say although 12 instead of 16 pipes is a major limit, and it would be nice to have gddr3 memory but oh well)

-memory: dual channel Corsair XMS 3200 (2x512mb) i think the timings are 2-3-3-6

-mobo: Asus P5GDC-Deluxe

Those are my basic system components, i also have a MSI tv@nywhere master tv tuner card and a seagate sata hard drive along with 2 western digital pata drives for a total of 400gigs.

Well the asus mobo comes with some nice built in overclocking features but I cannot seem to overclock over 5% without random crashes what gives! i spent tons on that Corsair XMS memory for this purpose, and can the Asus mobo handle much over 800FSB? i thought it could but maybe not my model, im sure my memory can get as high as 450mhz from 400 which is a 25 mhz increase on the FSB but pc crashes, temps are all fine as i have kickass after market cooling on everything. Ive read up on my cpu and it can get to the 4ghz range easily so Im really scratchin my head here about whats goin wrong. Sometimes after the PC crashes I get a msg that it was a system driver error and the system has recovered from a serious error (is this overclocking related?)

The asus mobo keeps my pci devices and my pci express graphics card seperate when i increase the fsb so its not a problem with those devices, im really stuck guys and would love to hear your input, i APOLOGIZE for this long ass message but I figured I would be as detailed as I could, thanks agian guys!
Old 12-03-05, 08:12 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman
Hi guys, first let me comment, this is one nice and clean looking forum and i know its new, but hopefully it can stay this way as long as we dont get a lot of losers registering, anyhow...i have a question about overclocking. I am an intermediate user who built my first computer recently, yeah! lol. well when i registered for this forum i had to put my pc specs in but i dont know how u guys can see that so i will list them in this post.

-cpu: p4 540 3.2ghz ht with 800fsb and 1mb l2 cache lga 775

-gpu: geforce 6800 (not the gt or ultra : ( i was too poor for those but i can overclock this card from 325 gpu 600mhz memory to 440mhz gpu and 840mhz memory and have it run completely stable, i lucked out u could say although 12 instead of 16 pipes is a major limit, and it would be nice to have gddr3 memory but oh well)

-memory: dual channel Corsair XMS 3200 (2x512mb) i think the timings are 2-3-3-6

-mobo: Asus P5GDC-Deluxe
Nice system you got there. if you need to view others specs, just click on their name on one of their posts and choose 'view profile'. We are working on a way to make it easier tho.

Quote:

Those are my basic system components, i also have a MSI tv@nywhere master tv tuner card and a seagate sata hard drive along with 2 western digital pata drives for a total of 400gigs.

Well the asus mobo comes with some nice built in overclocking features but I cannot seem to overclock over 5% without random crashes what gives! i spent tons on that Corsair XMS memory for this purpose, and can the Asus mobo handle much over 800FSB? i thought it could but maybe not my model, im sure my memory can get as high as 450mhz from 400 which is a 25 mhz increase on the FSB but pc crashes, temps are all fine as i have kickass after market cooling on everything. Ive read up on my cpu and it can get to the 4ghz range easily so Im really scratchin my head here about whats goin wrong. Sometimes after the PC crashes I get a msg that it was a system driver error and the system has recovered from a serious error (is this overclocking related?)

The asus mobo keeps my pci devices and my pci express graphics card seperate when i increase the fsb so its not a problem with those devices, im really stuck guys and would love to hear your input, i APOLOGIZE for this long ass message but I figured I would be as detailed as I could, thanks agian guys!
I'm willing to guess that your CPU is power hungry. Some processors are more hungry than others when overclocking.

Have a look in your BIOS for an option that allows you to increase the voltage of the CPU, then increase it by around 0.025 - 0.050 to see if that makes things more stable..

With your chip you should be able to go up to a maximum of 1.5750 volts.
Old 12-03-05, 08:29 AM
OC3D Elite

asking 450MHz from 400 is a bit much. the ram will probably give up before then so try increasing the fsb slowly until you are not stable. also try slightly looser timings like just take the 2 to 2.5 for now.

also i am assuming that you are using software for your overclock? try using the BIOS toget a better idea of when you are stable etc.
Old 12-03-05, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
asking 450MHz from 400 is a bit much. the ram will probably give up before then so try increasing the fsb slowly until you are not stable. also try slightly looser timings like just take the 2 to 2.5 for now.

also i am assuming that you are using software for your overclock? try using the BIOS toget a better idea of when you are stable etc.
I've been fooling around with the bios leavin the memory at auto settings to get the timings from the spd and the pc has crashed not right away but eventually at 215mhz fsb (x4=860 and 430mhz memory) , 214, 213, 212, 211, 210 and now i am currently testing it at 209 fsb (x4=836fsb and 418mhz memory).

Personally I think this is bullsh** because this is expensive overclocking ram with an expenisve processor and an expensive asus overclocking motherboard. What is my limitation? The memory or the mobo or the cpu and how can i tell which of these it is? thanks! btw, timings on auto are at 3-4-4-8 instead of 2-3-3-6
Old 12-03-05, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I've been fooling around with the bios leavin the memory at auto settings to get the timings from the spd and the pc has crashed not right away but eventually at 215mhz fsb (x4=860 and 430mhz memory) , 214, 213, 212, 211, 210 and now i am currently testing it at 209 fsb (x4=836fsb and 418mhz memory).

Personally I think this is bullsh** because this is expensive overclocking ram with an expenisve processor and an expensive asus overclocking motherboard. What is my limitation? The memory or the mobo or the cpu and how can i tell which of these it is? thanks! btw, timings on auto are at 3-4-4-8 instead of 2-3-3-6
Def. give the voltage a go...you won't get anywhere without a small voltage increase.

I only managed to get to 4.5ghz by increasing my vcore all the way up to 1.6v