Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 11-09-07, 10:37 AM
OC3D Elite

New HD Format

Blu-Ray and HD DVD got you all confused? Perhaps HD VMD can add some clarity...

Link

Old 11-09-07, 10:43 AM
OC3D Elite

This is good news!

Cheaper HD for the masses

As for the confusion, as long as some big manufacturers jump on this then it wil be a no brainer
Old 11-09-07, 11:29 AM
OC3D Elite

There are already BluRay/HDDVD combo drives out there (circa £250 about a month ago). Are they likely to embrace this too ?

Seems to me that if it only involves a firmware thang, then existing drives can be very embracing (up to a point).

On the other side of this, if the VMD comes out at a spankingly lower price than either of these, then the market will be forced to use them, in a fashion.

If pc users `naturally` spawn onto VMD, and no doubt the illegal-people will grab hold of them, due to their price - the movie sellers could be forced by means of their concern to get their product in the houses.

Old 11-09-07, 04:57 PM

I thought HD DVD used red lasers? Only BlueRay uses blue lasers hence "Blu"Ray??

tbh this format can bugger off, studio's wont take it up as it doesn't have big sign up behind it and the market's crowded enough already
Old 11-09-07, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

I completely agree, HD VMD can bugger off and die. There's already one too many HD formats.
Old 12-09-07, 07:44 AM
OC3D Elite

If the price is true i believe HD and Blu Ray can bugger off. Id rather spend less sorry. 700 bucks or w/e for an HD player is retarted.
Old 12-09-07, 08:48 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Kempez'
I thought HD DVD used red lasers? Only BlueRay uses blue lasers hence "Blu"Ray??

tbh this format can bugger off, studio's wont take it up as it doesn't have big sign up behind it and the market's crowded enough already
Both use blue lasers, one difference I believe is that the HD DVDs can be pressed on presses designed for DVDs. BluRay requires more precise equipment.

If the prices are accurate I would consider buying a player.

Old 12-09-07, 09:32 AM
OC3D Elite

My thoughts exactly
Old 12-09-07, 10:13 AM
OC3D Elite

for now i think VM is worth it, but i think the price of HD will drop loads in the next 6 months followed by blu-ray in the next year.

I suppose we're going to see lots more different versions of things co-exist with each other making it rubbish! for us consumers. It's like how we've come to live with dvd - and +, now we have 3 versions of the next gen dvds. what about the gen after that, is there going to be 4?

Old 12-09-07, 01:00 PM
OC3D Elite

It all usually comes down to the blank media costs at the end of the day. Whichever can quickly get to a lower level than the others and sustain it will become the front-runner, and if the other 2 fail to come close cost-wize, they`ll be overlooked.