Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Screens and Displays

Old 10-03-05, 07:15 AM
OC3D Elite

LCD Screen Pro's / Con's

Liquid Crystal Display

LCDs have been around for many years in the portable computing market but they are fairly new to desktops. A liquid crystal display functions based upon the characteristics of crystals when electricity is applied to them. A matrix of these crystals forms up the film of the display which can have the colors turned on or off by the application of a current. A backlight behind the film them illuminates the film so that it is visible in any lighting condition.

The biggest advantage to LCD monitors is their size and weight. Most LCDs sold on the market range from about 1 to 3 inches in thickness compare to CRT monitors that can be as much as 24 inches.

LCD screens also tend to produce less eye fatigue to the user. The constant light barrage and scan lines of a CRT Tube tend to cause strain on heavy computer users. The lower intensity of the LCD monitors coupled with their constant screen display of pixels either being on or off produces less fatigue for the user.

Finally, LCD monitors are much more energy efficient compared to a CRT monitor. Most of the energy used by LCD displays is for the backlighting of the LCD screen. The amount of voltage required to maintain the state of the various pixels as on or off is negligible when compared to that of the backlighting. CRT displays on the other hand use vast amounts of power to keep the electron beam constantly streaming across the screen.

Since LCD technology is much newer compared to CRT technology, it is much more expensive to produce LCD monitors. This is a big drawback when a 19" CRT monitor can be purchased for roughly half the cost of a 17" LCD monitor even though they have the same rough visible screen area. Over time as the manufacturers improve their techniques of manufacturing LCDs and the demand for them grows, the costs will begin to come down.

The second disadvantage to LCD screens is their fixed or native resolution. An LCD screen can only display the number of pixels in its matrix and no more. It can display a lower resolution in one of two ways. Using only a fraction of the total pixels on the display or through interpolation. Interpolation is a method whereby the monitor blends multiple pixels together to simulate a single smaller pixel. This can often lead to a blurry or fuzzy image particularly with text when running the screen below is native resolution.

Finally, the technology behind the LCD screens can cause a ghosting of moving images on a screen against a dark background. This is caused from the fact that while changing the state of the crystals from off to on is fast, the speed at which it can be turned off is about four times slower or more. This tends to leave slight after images on the display while the pixel is being turned from on to off. This can be noticed most in video playback or games where bright objects are moving against a dark background.

Pros:

* Takes up Little Space on Desktop

* Light Weight

* Energy Efficient

* Causing Less Eye Fatigue

Cons:

* Expensive

* Blurry Images Outside Native Resolution

* Motion Blur on Fast Moving Images

* Washed Out Colors

Old 12-03-05, 02:28 PM

I've got a 17" TFT from Iliyama. This is a class Monitor with excellent response time (10ms). I love the fact that it takes up around 1/20 the space of my old 17" CRT and how it look - wkd.

I can now fit a proper mousepad on my desk for the first time in ages and playing CS:S and HL2 and Farcry at res of 1280 x 1024 is immense!
Old 12-03-05, 04:26 PM

Im not convinced. When I go to the shops looking at the screens there just seems something wrong with them. Havent quite figured it out.

But, I guess in a few that is all there is going to be available and our old tube monitors will be out in the land fill.

Just wish they were a bit sharper and a bit brighter.... oh well
Old 12-03-05, 04:34 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordVampyre
Im not convinced. When I go to the shops looking at the screens there just seems something wrong with them. Havent quite figured it out.

But, I guess in a few that is all there is going to be available and our old tube monitors will be out in the land fill.

Just wish they were a bit sharper and a bit brighter.... oh well
They both most certainly have their advantages and disadvantages. I would definatly say that it takes a while to get used to a TFT after using a CRT for a long while...they just dont seem as crisp imo.
Old 13-03-05, 03:57 AM

Arent lcds blurrier??
Old 13-03-05, 08:29 AM
OC3D Elite

Yeah thats what i think too. But i've never used a really good quality LCD display, only cheap Compaq ones at work
Old 13-03-05, 10:17 AM
OC3D Elite

i'm using an LG Flatron, seems crystal clear to me
Old 13-03-05, 12:04 PM
OC3D Elite

i hate to say this but the dell lcd's are good. please dont shoot me!
Old 13-03-05, 12:07 PM
OC3D Elite

DELL!? :0wned:
Old 13-03-05, 09:07 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Dave'
i hate to say this but the dell lcd's are good. please dont shoot me!
Dell get Sony to make their screens, so yes, a lot of them are ver good.

Infact the screen i'm looking at now is a Dell, but if i whip off the top, its all Sony inside