Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Software Section > OS & Apps

Old 11-12-06, 09:48 PM
OC3D Elite

Page file.

Hello dudeys!

I am here to ask a simple question. Is it good to have the page file on the same Drive as games?

I hvae oblivion and the page file all on the same drive I was wondering if the stuttering I get it because of that?

DMA5 is what my drive is running..

Thanks guys!

Old 12-12-06, 09:37 AM
OC3D Elite

Bump ...
Old 12-12-06, 11:32 AM
OC3D Elite

The best thing is to have the paging file on a dedicated hard drive, but who can do that. If you run out of memory, and it starts paging, while playing a game you are going to get stuttering no matter what drive it is on. How much RAM do you have?

Old 12-12-06, 11:42 AM

If you have a RAID array then putting the paging file on there increases performance.

However if not and you have a decent HDD then it's not going to make a huge amount of real-life difference
Old 12-12-06, 11:44 AM
OC3D Elite

Ideal situation is to have 2 drives, one for/with the OS (with pagefile), and one for u`r gaming. That`s 2 drives, not just 2 partitions.

The logic behind it is that whilst u`r playing u`r game, or doing u`r media/utility thing if u like, u`r OS is working away in the background, with such matters including the pagefile. Physically, if the pc happens to have to access the pagefile whilst u`r game is loading gfx and the like, u`r OS will do both at the same time. i.e. read something for the game/util, then read something for the OS - in between each action, the drive heads have to seek back and fore between the two. If they`re on seperate drives, there is less head movement, and hence quicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Nagaru'
The best thing is to have the paging file on a dedicated hard drive, but who can do that. If you run out of memory, and it starts paging, while playing a game you are going to get stuttering no matter what drive it is on. How much RAM do you have?
Arguably, if u`r pc is SATA based and u have one drive. The inclusion of an IDE drive just for the OS would help you out (although if u spend alot of time doing desktop stuff, u may`nt like it). It`s very debateable. Of course adding a 2nd SATA would be ideal. If u got more than 2 SATA connections on the pc, u can OS install and setup raid if u chose. But raid performance will be impaired, even though it`s blisteringly fast anyway, by having the OS (pagefile) and game section on the same raid. If u think of u`r raid as 1 drive, effectively, that`s where the logic lies. Even tho it`ll be fast, it could be faster - if u like.

Old 12-12-06, 02:59 PM
OC3D Elite

I have 3 harddrives. And 1Gb of ram..

I have the dirst drive as windows the second (fastest) as games and page file... and the third just for storage.

Does it matter which one I have it on then?

First Drive = DMA 4 66Mhz

Games drive = DMA 5 100Mhz

last drive = DMA 3 (Doesn't want to run at full speed) Maybe the cable.
Old 12-12-06, 03:19 PM
OC3D Elite

Id get another GB of ram for oblivion tbh...
Old 12-12-06, 03:43 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Ham'
Id get another GB of ram for oblivion tbh...
Definately !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxcity
I have 3 harddrives. And 1Gb of ram..

I have the dirst drive as windows the second (fastest) as games and page file... and the third just for storage.

Does it matter which one I have it on then?

First Drive = DMA 4 66Mhz

Games drive = DMA 5 100Mhz

last drive = DMA 3 (Doesn't want to run at full speed) Maybe the cable.
How are these drives connected m8y ?