Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Software Section > OS & Apps

Old 12-11-06, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Vista Home Premium cheap

If anybody doesn't want to shell out £200+ for Vista when it's released in January next year, then all you have to do is purchase a copy of MCE and you get an upgrade to Vista for free.

Details are here

Old 12-11-06, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

I've been keeping my eye on that. If everything is as it appears then I'll do the MCE -> Home Premium upgrade. But first I'd like a few more details on the OEM license... as I understand at this point, it you can upgrade pretty much everything except the mobo and have it still considered the same system. Once I see that in writing, I'll put the order in that day

One part I found interesting was:

Quote:
Only systems running Microsoft Windows XP that meet Windows Vista system requirements qualify for the Express Upgrade.
So you're only eligible for the upgrade if your computer meets the specs? How are they going to check, make you send in a System Information printout with your upgrade coupon? Must be because they don't want people returning it because it wouldn't install
Old 12-11-06, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrunner
If anybody doesn't want to shell out £200+ for Vista when it's released in January next year, then all you have to do is purchase a copy of MCE and you get an upgrade to Vista for free.

Details are here
If it ain't Windows Vista Ultimate, it ain't squat.
Old 12-11-06, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Looking around MS's site I came across this:

Quote:

A copy of Windows Vista can go into RFM under two scenarios. First, if any of the following events occurs for the given license type:

• Retail user (or corporate user with MAK):

– Failure to activate within the grace period (i.e., 30 days after installation)

– Failure to renew activation within three days of a major hardware replacement

• OEM user (or corporate user with OEM-sourced activated image, i.e. non-volume license bits):

– Failure to activate within three days of switch to non-OEM motherboard
RFM = reduced functionality mode, i.e. not activated. So it looks like retail versions will need to reactivate for any major hardware upgrades, while OEM users will need to reactivate for motherboard replacement only, which IIRC is only allowed in case of original motherboard failure, and limited to one reactivation.
Old 12-11-06, 06:44 PM
OC3D Elite

AFAIK, You can upgrade MCE to either Vista Ultimate or Home Premium, and can upgrade XP Pro to Vista Business or Ultimate.

maybe not :\.
Old 12-11-06, 06:51 PM
OC3D Elite

IMO, all these multiple versions and upgrade maps are a waste. IMO, it's all about Vista Ultimate WHich I need to wait 5 days for :[
Old 12-11-06, 07:08 PM
OC3D Elite

Will volume licensing be something to consider for oc3d? I would deffo do that if it works out cheaper
Old 12-11-06, 07:10 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='mrapoc'
Will volume licensing be something to consider for oc3d? I would deffo do that if it works out cheaper
I think there was some talk about it between XMS, Kemp, and Frag.
Old 12-11-06, 07:21 PM
OC3D Elite

a volume license is a stupidly large amount of money, it only really becomes genuinely money saving if you have 2000 machines
Old 12-11-06, 07:42 PM
OC3D Elite

MSDN tbh .