Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 09-11-06, 12:09 PM
OC3D Elite

Layout changes to OC3D News...

Hi Guys,

Over the past week we've been thinking of ways to make the news section of the site more friendly.

In the end we decided that it might be a good idea to make the site news, the same style as reviews & articles. Take a look at these test pages to tell me what you think:

http://www.overclock3d.net/indexnew.php

The new homepage layout changes the existing news into clickable links. This should make accessing the homepage faster as none of the news images are displayed until you click on a news item you are interested in.

The images of the newspaper currently displayed will *in future* be replaced with more suitable icons.

http://www.overclock3d.net/newsnew.php

At present, old news is just bundled into one area. The new news layout will seperate the news into years (and then possibly months) for easier viewing.

http://www.overclock3d.net/newsnew.p...&id=412&page=1

News items will now have the ability to contain more than 1 page, and each page can have its own header (just like reviews).

All of this is very well, but will require a fair bit of time on our part to get everything looking smooth - so we want your vote on whether the new layout roxx or blowz!

Old 09-11-06, 12:17 PM
OC3D Elite

i think it all rocks, but im not sure ont he last one, i dont think news needs to be split into pages tbh.
Old 09-11-06, 12:57 PM
OC3D Elite

I love the look of the new one Plus I think the breaking of the news into two parts will be good if the posting is done properly. First news part - short concise description of the news (so peeps can choose whether it sounds interesting enough to warrant a read) and 2nd the full blown article. Love the changes
Old 09-11-06, 12:58 PM

I think each news item needs it's own news, but not multiple pages for each article if that's what ya meant Dave

I prefer the short description on the front page tho
Old 09-11-06, 01:03 PM
OC3D Elite

yeah thats what i mean matt, most news is generally 200 words tops, hardly ever enough to warrant a second page.

and yeah a short description is good, and most of all i think the consitency of having all 80x80 images will be great.

one more small point, how about somehow building a database of all the images uploaded, so that when we post we can look through past images to see if something had already been created and uploaded?
Old 09-11-06, 01:06 PM

Agreed on the image upload - one much like the reviews one would be great, duinno how hard it would be to code?
Old 09-11-06, 01:11 PM
OC3D Elite

ill help and code what i can, if i can

it will be a pain in the ass for the first few months, but after maybe a year, we should have an image for msot corporations etc, and news posting will be sooo much easier.
Old 09-11-06, 01:12 PM
OC3D Elite

Image upload would be good, it'd save me time trawling for manufacturer logos for every news post LOL
Old 09-11-06, 02:45 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via AIM to WC Annihilus Send a message via MSN to WC Annihilus
Aye, constantly updating the same manufacturer's logo is annoying. Anyways, looks good

MSI P55-GD65

3x Kingston X25-V RAID0

2x Evga 9600GT SSC SLI

G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3-1600

Corsair VX550w, Ghettoed Antec Super Lanboy

Old 09-11-06, 02:53 PM
OC3D Elite

New layout is now under development. Should see it before the weekend