Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 25-03-14, 10:30 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsyerproblem View Post
This is a simple "we did it because we can" card, it's simply too much money.

You can buy a whole system that has just as much gpu power, if not more, for less money. Just buy two 780Ti cards, a 4770k, an SSD and even some watercooling parts.

I was talking to Tom earlier saying that the heavily hinted upcoming AMD dual GPU would have a hard time competing, given how the 780Ti compares to the R9 290X and the fact Nvidia claims it is cool and quiet, then I realized that AMD's card will not be anywhere near as expensive (if they have any sense).

Even if the AMD R9 295X is hot or loud, you will likely be able to water cool it for far less than a GTX Titan Z.
well the AMD equivalent will be stomped to trash, but it's probably going to be less than half of the price.
it doesn't seem that unlikely that nvidia will release another dual GPU card with two 780s. like the titan 1 launch which was quickly followed up by the more affordable 780 back last year.

Leopold Tenkeyless MX Brown // Steelseries Rival // Steelseries QCK+
Beyerdynamics DT 990 // FiiO E10 // Asus VG248QE // Asus VE228
Old 25-03-14, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Sweet cream on an ice cream sammich (sorry too many videos of The Rock recently) this is like...underwear outside your tights levels of silliness from NVIDIA. Sure it might deliver performance by the truck load but that price is eye watering and the only ones who are likely to get them will be proper benchmarkers who will get them for nothing already or those with FAR too much spare cash and not enough brains.

If there was a GTX 790 to go alongside it though made from either 2x780 or 2x780Ti then that might get a bit more interesting but would probably tread on the toes of the Titan and Titan Black as far as price goes
Old 25-03-14, 10:32 PM
OC3D Elite

If AMD release the 295x with water cooling as rumoured it will be much cooler and quieter than the Titan Z and should have some OC headroom. Reference 780Tis run at 85*c on full load and aren't exactly quiet, two cores on one cooler is a lot of heat to get rid of. I doubt the Titan Z will have much overclocking head room if any at all unless Nvidia have some sort of a major heatsink under that shroud.

If AMD use their heads and release the 295x with a waterblock as rumoured and price it reasonably say £1500, which is very realistic, they will have a winner. There isn't that much of a performance difference between a 290x and a 780Ti, the 780Ti is faster but it's not leaps and bounds and in a lot of cases the 290x is just as fast, sometimes faster if only by 1 or 2 FPS.
Old 25-03-14, 10:36 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsyerproblem View Post
It's a shame that there was no Maxwell info on the livestream, makes me think a high end Maxwell release isn't coming soon.

You'll get the same performance as this with dual 780Ti cards, apart from the whole identical clocks at all times thing, given that two card will run at differing boost clocks depending on temp etc.

I'm very interested in seeing how the cooler performs and what Nvidia consider to be low temps and noise here.
Two 780ti's in sli will smack it out the park lol.

That cooler will not be able to deal with the heat output of two full fat GK110 chips. A single GTX 690 with a similar cooler and two underclocked GK104 chips hits more than 80c and two GTX 690s in sli hit more than 90c on the primary GPU.

All AMD have to do to get the performance crown is to release their dual Hawaii card with a pre fitted waterblock and beefy power circuitry to take advantage - Game over.
Old 25-03-14, 10:51 PM
OC3D Elite

Is there any way a dual gpu card can make sense? isn't it always going to be inherently half the power delivery, half the heat dissipation and more than the price of two separate cards. Seeing as a 780Ti is probably enough for any application where only one PCIe slot is available could there possibly be any point in a dual GPU card. I mean at £2k+ you aren't exactly going to pop one into an ITX rig unless your bonkers, I can see how at around Titan prices you might if you were a bit mad, say a 790 for £800.

Even if I had the infinite money cheat surely I would get 4x Titan Blacks over 2x Titan Z's how can it not be better. I genuinely can't see a rational reason for these unless you still think that 12GB of vram shared between two GPU's is more than 6GB and you are dumb enough to think 12GB of vram will bring any advantages.

JR
Old 25-03-14, 10:56 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR23 View Post
Is there any way a dual gpu card can make sense? isn't it always going to be inherently half the power delivery, half the heat dissipation and more than the price of two separate cards. Seeing as a 780Ti is probably enough for any application where only one PCIe slot is available could there possibly be any point in a dual GPU card. I mean at £2k+ you aren't exactly going to pop one into an ITX rig unless your bonkers, I can see how at around Titan prices you might if you were a bit mad, say a 790 for £800.

Even if I had the infinite money cheat surely I would get 4x Titan Blacks over 2x Titan Z's how can it not be better. I genuinely can't see a rational reason for these unless you still think that 12GB of vram shared between two GPU's is more than 6GB and you are dumb enough to think 12GB of vram will bring any advantages.

JR
matx/itx builds. that's the only reason.
Leopold Tenkeyless MX Brown // Steelseries Rival // Steelseries QCK+
Beyerdynamics DT 990 // FiiO E10 // Asus VG248QE // Asus VE228
Old 25-03-14, 11:05 PM
News Guru

There aren't going to be many people who will have these in their rigs, that's for sure.

I do look forward to seeing how these perform in an overkill3d video though, hopefully Tom will get a sample soon.

I do like the idea of a GTX 790 coming in the future, perhaps that's Nvidia's plan. Release a super expensive card to then release a cut down version at a greatly reduced price, perhaps a dual 780?
Old 25-03-14, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

I think this card is a waste of time, the mainstream market is nowhere near ready for 4k yet, there is no point in buying a 3k card for the sole purpose of gaming on 4k which other cards in a few years can do a lot better.
Old 26-03-14, 02:16 AM

It's like the titan release all over again. haha.
<sarcasm> Watch NVidia release a dual 780 in a couple of months from that and come close to the performance of a titan z with half the cost. haha. </sarcasm>
Old 26-03-14, 02:47 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoiCorp View Post
It's like the titan release all over again. haha.
<sarcasm> Watch NVidia release a dual 780 in a couple of months from that and come close to the performance of a titan z with half the cost. haha. </sarcasm>
Actually it is nothing like the Titan launch.

When NVidia launched the Titan, it was by quite a distance faster than any other single GPU. This new card will be struggling to get close existing dual GPU options like a 290P CF setup.