Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Overclocking

Old 16-11-13, 10:26 AM
OC3D Crew

i7-4820k Overclock

Hi Guys,

I had a lazy day yesterday overclocking and testing. I got my 4820k up to 4.5ghz just pushing up the multiplier on all cores and upping the vcore and LLC as needed then testing with OCCT AVX capable linpack.

I got to x45 with a voltage of 1.200v with the LLC on extremely high so under stress it was getting about 1.220v (screenie below), that was with my memory running at it's rated spec of 2133mhz 9-11-10-30 @1.5v although I had it running 1333 for my initial tests.

Now I feel that I ran out of skill before I ran out of voltage/temperature headroom? But maybe i'm at the limit, i'm afraid I just don't have the experience to know so thought I would ask you lot.

When trying for x46 just bumping volts didn't have much impact, it booted with it several times and ran OCCT until the second idle period at 16 minutes in and then failed the test because of an error. So I think something else might need a tweek but as I said I don't have much experience with BIOS settings.

If a screenshot of any part of the BIOS or OCCT graphs would be useful to you to help i'll post them. And just to confirm my specs are....

i7-4820k
Rampage IV Formula
Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x4GB 2133mhz 9-11-10-30 @1.5v

Thanks, JR.

100+ views and not even a silicon lottery or noob comment?

Old 25-11-13, 02:15 PM
The Guvnor

What volts does it need to have 4.6 stable dude and what are the temps like?

Then just ask yourself the question is it worth it, you may need some chipset volts and a few other bits tweaking to get it stable from here on out though

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 25-11-13, 06:19 PM
OC3D Crew

Thanks for the reply Tom, it's been a good week since I was playing with it now but I think it took around 1.25v to get 4.6 booting but no matter what I added it would fail OCCT after 16 minutes so I can't tell you really what the true stable voltage was but it just didn't feel like the vcore was the adjustment making the difference, increasing or decreasing it didn't affect the stability.

The temps have all been acceptable so far basically peaking at 70c without the fans being too nuts.

Another thing i've noticed is that only OCCT is pushing the multiplier up to x45, when running 3Dmark vantage or valley it just stays at x37.
Old 25-11-13, 06:41 PM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR23 View Post
Thanks for the reply Tom, it's been a good week since I was playing with it now but I think it took around 1.25v to get 4.6 booting but no matter what I added it would fail OCCT after 16 minutes so I can't tell you really what the true stable voltage was but it just didn't feel like the vcore was the adjustment making the difference, increasing or decreasing it didn't affect the stability.

The temps have all been acceptable so far basically peaking at 70c without the fans being too nuts.

Another thing i've noticed is that only OCCT is pushing the multiplier up to x45, when running 3Dmark vantage or valley it just stays at x37.
take some photos of your bios matey - it sounds like youve not set it up for a static overclock and that may be the reason why its not going further.

Old 25-11-13, 08:12 PM
OC3D Crew

Thanks Tom, here's just about everything as its running now.

Old 28-11-13, 07:39 PM
The Guvnor

for starters speedstep needs to be disabled dude.

Old 29-11-13, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Turn off speedstep, under CPU power management turn off all "C States" and also put performance on high in windows to ensure you will always be running at full speed then try again with 4.6GHz, so far looks like you have a decent chip.
Old 02-12-13, 12:42 PM
OC3D Crew

Thanks guys i've just got back on the task this afternoon.

So i've disabled speedstep and all c states and changed the cpu performance settings in windows to 100% and I can see it's now idling happily at the overclock.

First off I tried for x46 just by kicking up the vcore to 1.22 which made it around 1.25 after LLC. It BSOD 2 minutes and I remembered I left my memory running 2133 so I popped that down to 1600 and ran another test. It got to the 16 minute mark and failed during the 'idle' period.

Do you think this is likely down to the LLC not kicking in fast enough to pull it out of the idle period? In other words should I increase the 'static' vcore and lower the LLC setting or could this be down to something else.

JR

EDIT:

I went ahead and lowered the LLC down to [medium [25%] and kept increasing the vcore until it was stable at x46 which took 1.265v in the BIOS and it basically ran at 1.272v with far less spikes than before, 1.260v was very close to being stable but it froze up. If I turned LLC off completely the drop in vcore under load was very noticeable.

JR

EDIT2:

It took too much vcore to get x47 to boot, with the motherboard set to 1.320v I did get into OCCT but it quickly got past 80c so I think my thermal limit lies at x46 assuming I needed that vcore.

I guess i'll have to run some longer tests to check everything is completely stable at these 4.6 settings and see if 2133mhz is stable. If I find increasing the memory clock makes it unstable is their another voltage I should increase?

Thanks, JR.