Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Storage Mediums

Old 27-07-06, 08:21 PM
OC3D Elite

Clicky HDD

just done some re-wireing of my case and moved the HDD. Turned it on and theres a constant fast clicking ( ~ 8 per sec). Is there anyone here whos boned up on the internals of HD's and could maybe point out which part of the mechanisms may be causing it (and if possible a solution)

Thanks in advance

Old 27-07-06, 08:42 PM
OC3D Elite

Maybe it's loose in the cage or somethings rattling? Did you give the HDD a nice jolt or something?

Sony VAIO CS110E 14.1" :: Core 2 Duo T5800

3GB DDR2-800 :: 250GB HDD :: Intel Media Accelerator

HTPC

Gateway GT4024 :: Intel Pentium D 805 :: 1GB DDR2-667

700GB of Storage :: ATi Xpess200 :: Sharp AQUOS 32" 720p

Old 27-07-06, 08:59 PM
OC3D Elite

dont think so :/ is deffinately secure in the bay

Edit: AHA! turns out it wasnt the HDD, it was the floppy drive located directly above it. it would apear that i forgot to put power to it and i assume the pc was trying to recognise it but failing

Old 27-07-06, 09:58 PM
OC3D Elite

just a pointer. i really wouldnt advise taking any hard drive to bits without a class 100 clean room. the gap between the platter and head is very very small. a single spec of dust could destroy the whole hard drive!!!

Old 27-07-06, 11:15 PM
OC3D Elite

Heh. I powned my old HDD 2 days ago. My long failing 80GB WD in my External Box started owning itself it sounded like, so I swapped it out for a nice Hitachi 80GB. Got all the data off the old one but what to do with it? There was some personal info on there but it wld be a pita to get it all off. Hmm *screwdriver on desk.*

Well after about 5 minutes of hell, the PCB had been scratched, there were a few holes on the top of the HDD (thin metal!), and the pins were all bent like crap.

I really don't know why people bother to format, write 0's, all that time consuming stuff when they throw out an HDD. Just destroy it, literally! HDD metal is very thin, with a few blows I was hitting platters with the screw driver lmao. They make a nice ding too like a doorbell, when struck.

Sony VAIO CS110E 14.1" :: Core 2 Duo T5800

3GB DDR2-800 :: 250GB HDD :: Intel Media Accelerator

HTPC

Gateway GT4024 :: Intel Pentium D 805 :: 1GB DDR2-667

700GB of Storage :: ATi Xpess200 :: Sharp AQUOS 32" 720p

Old 28-07-06, 07:58 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickS
Heh. I powned my old HDD 2 days ago. My long failing 80GB WD in my External Box started owning itself it sounded like, so I swapped it out for a nice Hitachi 80GB. Got all the data off the old one but what to do with it? There was some personal info on there but it wld be a pita to get it all off. Hmm *screwdriver on desk.*

Well after about 5 minutes of hell, the PCB had been scratched, there were a few holes on the top of the HDD (thin metal!), and the pins were all bent like crap.

I really don't know why people bother to format, write 0's, all that time consuming stuff when they throw out an HDD. Just destroy it, literally! HDD metal is very thin, with a few blows I was hitting platters with the screw driver lmao. They make a nice ding too like a doorbell, when struck.
believe it or not, you may still be able to recover data from this. That's why the militry have just developed a special machine that can destroy a hard drives data in 3 seconds. think it use's high powered magnets.

Old 28-07-06, 08:05 AM

If you get a hammer do it and crush the platters anyone but the very most highly skilled people won't even bnother trying