Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 19-07-06, 02:27 PM

1200+ duron

I recently got an old rig while my powerbook (17") charger gets replaced and my gaming rig gets fixed .

it has an AMD duron 1200+ pro processor (running at arround 900mhz actual). assuming i put a decent video card in (thinking 9600XT or 9800pro) would it be possiable to play CS;S online well at all? if not what other games would it run? like eve online?

(it has 512 meg ram)

btw

first post

i am a mac whore

greetings all

Old 19-07-06, 02:35 PM
OC3D Elite

i think the cpu would be a serious bottleneck to whatever graphics card you put in. what socket is the motehrboard, if its socket A you can pick up a real cheap sempron or athlonXP and then it will be a very capable little gaming rig.
Old 19-07-06, 02:44 PM
OC3D Elite

Regardless, with a 9800 Pro or 6600GT, you will be able to play CS:S quite well.

Sony VAIO CS110E 14.1" :: Core 2 Duo T5800

3GB DDR2-800 :: 250GB HDD :: Intel Media Accelerator

HTPC

Gateway GT4024 :: Intel Pentium D 805 :: 1GB DDR2-667

700GB of Storage :: ATi Xpess200 :: Sharp AQUOS 32" 720p

Old 19-07-06, 02:52 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via AIM to FragTek Send a message via MSN to FragTek Send a message via Yahoo to FragTek
CS:S is like the least graphically demanding game you can play right now. It can scale very very well according to your setup.
Old 19-07-06, 03:52 PM

i am not sure what socket type it is. i cannot find the type of motherboard with the bios or anything so ill take it apart again tomorrow and find out what type/model of board it is and hopefully therefore what socket type it is.
Old 19-07-06, 03:59 PM

Anyway you go tho you should be ok playing CSS with a half decent GPU as CSS scaled with the GPU, rather than the CPU

If you can afford it maybe another 512mb RAM would make a good difference
Old 20-07-06, 07:48 AM

ok so i got a 5500FX

i am a mac user but i really wanted to play eve online and some CS 1.6 (mabey even CS:S). so i went out and got myself a second hand PC...nothing special. i soon found out that everything about the PC was (almost?) decent eccept the video card and i did not want to spend a fortune on a high end video card. so i got a 5500FX. i installed it...and there was no video going out to the monitor when i turned on the comp. so i opened it up and found that the back end of the card was not in the AGP slot fully(my bad )...i put it in firmly and restarted the comp. perfect! everything seemed to be going fine untill i tried playing a game. of course cs 1.6 ran perfectly as i expected but i noticed that there were various artifacts...just some discolouration and flickering but i assumed that it was just cs. so i went on to open up eve online i knew somthing was wrong because the title screen was also discoloured and flickering. i installed the latest drivers first but when i noticed the artifacts i tried the drivers that came on the CD...both had the same results.

however it is only the rendered3d parts that are affected the OS is completley fine.

any suggestions?
Old 20-07-06, 10:09 AM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via AIM to FragTek Send a message via MSN to FragTek Send a message via Yahoo to FragTek
We'll keep this to the new thread you created here. We've posted up a few suggestions for ya already Kinda sounds like the card is foobarred though :/