Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Sound Cards & Speakers

Old 20-02-13, 06:03 AM

Razer Megalodon vs Roccat Kave

or any other suggestions?

So, my first post here!
Hello everyone!

I've been using my stereo Siberia V2 for about 2 years now. I'm surprised it still works. Probably because I'm really careful with my gear. About 7h of daily use. Although it still works pretty fine, it's kinda falling apart: The 'leather' of the ear cups is coming off and I feel that the sound just isn't that clean anymore.

Straight to the point, time to buy a new one! I've been interested on both from the thread's title and although I've found a lot of information about these headphones, I couldn't decide which one is better. I just found out that both are great individually.

What do you guys think?

I do listen to music a lot, so it should perform average on it. Also, I would use the microphone to record videos, so the mic quality is important too.

I was almost sure I wanted a Roccat Kave and then I read about Megalodon's microphone.

I think I need a second opinion.

Thanks in advance,
KireD

PSSSSS: If something sounds weird on the lines above, just ask. English isn't my main language as you probably already noticed.

Old 20-02-13, 10:35 AM
The Guvnor

We have reviewed both, Id start there mate

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 20-02-13, 11:59 AM
The Webmaster

My personal opinion would be avoid the megladon, I've tested these and they sound very much like 'bucket on head' mode. I wasn't that impressed with the Mic but it's better than some of their other 'true 7.1' headsets.

Music really wasn't great on them either, in surround or 2.0 mode.

Do you have a soundcard? if so, the megladon can be seen as either a waste of money (it has usb sound processing) or a waste of a soundcard. Either way if you do have onboard sound/sound card I found the drivers really don't play nice with anything else.

Even after removal I had a lot of sound glitches, especially during game loading, but the only thing that sorted it was completely re-installing windows.

As for the Kave, I hear they are okay but I haven't used them personally, just giving a personal review on the Meg's

I recently switched up to some high end AKG reference headphones and an Essence STX and for gaming it's superb and music is just stunning. If you're getting this for mainly gaming, making videos perhaps a headset is more for you?

(wow I realise that was a long post, sorry!)
Asus x79 Deluxe | Intel 3930k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3 | 2 x 3GB Gigabyte Windforce 780GTX - SLi | Xonar Essence STX | 2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros | 2TB Samsung F4 | NZXT Hale 90 v2 1000w | Caselabs SM8 - White | 2 x Alphacool 360x60 | Bitspower 400mm Res Top | Dual Laing D5 Pumps | Bitspower C47 Fittings | XSPC Raystorm | Roccat Kone Pure - White | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702 Reference Headphones | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
Notice: Don't feed the trolls!

SPS : Apparently they bend if you sit on them in your back pocket - which fucking spasticated mother fucker puts a phone in their back pocket
Old 20-02-13, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
We have reviewed both, Id start there mate
Thanks for your answer!
I've read the review of the Kave already, and actually this same review was the one that made me want them! But I don't seem to find the review of the Megalodon! Could you link it to me?
Thanks!

KireD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
My personal opinion would be avoid the megladon, I've tested these and they sound very much like 'bucket on head' mode. I wasn't that impressed with the Mic but it's better than some of their other 'true 7.1' headsets.

Music really wasn't great on them either, in surround or 2.0 mode.

Do you have a soundcard? if so, the megladon can be seen as either a waste of money (it has usb sound processing) or a waste of a soundcard. Either way if you do have onboard sound/sound card I found the drivers really don't play nice with anything else.

Even after removal I had a lot of sound glitches, especially during game loading, but the only thing that sorted it was completely re-installing windows.

As for the Kave, I hear they are okay but I haven't used them personally, just giving a personal review on the Meg's

I recently switched up to some high end AKG reference headphones and an Essence STX and for gaming it's superb and music is just stunning. If you're getting this for mainly gaming, making videos perhaps a headset is more for you?

(wow I realise that was a long post, sorry!)
It wasn't long at all, thanks for sharing your experience! I've a friend who owns a Megalodon and he just LOVES it and hasn't had any problems with it. It is really hard to make a decision when opinions don't match haha

I've the on board sound card of the Crosshair IV Formula, I think it is the supremeFX x-fi or something like that.

I am actually getting this for gaming and making videos, but I'll also watch a lot of movies with it, so definitely a headset would be better? Because I know a lot of people prefer to buy good headphones and a good microphone. But I guess these people are more like audiophiles and not gamers? So they don't worry about pinpointing spatial location? I've no idea.

KireD
Old 20-02-13, 06:35 PM
The Webmaster

Unfortunately the bit about spatial location isn't necessarily very true, gaming headsets are just marked up lower quality drivers and styled to be nice. It's rare they could beat a decent pair of headphones in my recent experience.

I specifically bought a particular pair of headphone, with a particular headphone orientated soundcard because they have some of the best spacial awareness and location queues available :-) Yeah don't get me wrong, they're totally audiophile, but I'm 100% a gamer and I bought stereo over the existing 5.1 set I had and I don't regret it at all :-)

There are a few guides if you google them, but the best rated in a big review were the AKG K701/2's using 7.1 virtual headphone surround. I purchased a pair with a Xonar Essence STX totally around £400 ish and it was worth every penny :-)

Music is, just, wow. I can thank Jamesriley for that :-)

To be fully honest, your best bet is to buy and try a pair and see how you feel with them. I really don't like the soundfield and whatnot with the megladons, really makes you feel over-enclosed and it really clashes with the open'ness of the soundstage created by battlefield 3 so it just didn't work for me. These new AKG's however are stunning. :-) you can hear every step, even down to the glass crackling under a sneaky bugger's feet behind you (yeah i had NO idea that was even in the game until i got these).

Buy a pair, try them, see what you think if you really like them keep them. If not, or if you're a little unsure, send them back within the alotted returns time. Then try the other pair.

The thing I've found with audio is everyone's tastes are different, these AKG's are supposed to be really light on the bass, but very punchy and 'now' with their sound, commanding a lot of attention and I really like that. I know jamesriley recommends the Beyerdynamic range as he loves them :-) It's all a matter of what you like. You may really enjoy the soundstage of the Megladons or the Roccats mate, you won't know until you try them :-) Thats probably the best advice I can give you :-) without costing you a fortune lol.
Asus x79 Deluxe | Intel 3930k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3 | 2 x 3GB Gigabyte Windforce 780GTX - SLi | Xonar Essence STX | 2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros | 2TB Samsung F4 | NZXT Hale 90 v2 1000w | Caselabs SM8 - White | 2 x Alphacool 360x60 | Bitspower 400mm Res Top | Dual Laing D5 Pumps | Bitspower C47 Fittings | XSPC Raystorm | Roccat Kone Pure - White | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702 Reference Headphones | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

SPS : Apparently they bend if you sit on them in your back pocket - which fucking spasticated mother fucker puts a phone in their back pocket
Old 20-02-13, 06:44 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to iBeInspire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
To be fully honest, your best bet is to buy and try a pair and see how you feel with them. I really don't like the soundfield and whatnot with the megladons, really makes you feel over-enclosed and it really clashes with the open'ness of the soundstage created by battlefield 3 so it just didn't work for me. These new AKG's however are stunning. :-) you can hear every step, even down to the glass crackling under a sneaky bugger's feet behind you (yeah i had NO idea that was even in the game until i got these).
I second this, but with a pair of Beyer DT770's
Beautiful cans for music, gaming and everything in between, but they're cheaper and abit warmer sounding than the AKG's which should make them favorable to someone coming from ''gaming'' headsets...

Also don't forget these wont come with a mic, so a desktop/clip on mic will also be needed

EDIT : 350th post
[OFFICIAL] OC3D Overclockers Club Member [#025]
Old 20-02-13, 09:35 PM

So are you guys saying that getting a pair of headphones - good headphones - and a lets say a good usb mic is better for me on GAMING than a gaming headset?

Even with my current sound card?

I like the DT770's price range.

Thanks!

KireD

--

EDIT:
Unfortunately I can't "Buy a pair, try them, see what I think..." because my only option is buying them through the internet. Also, there aren't stores with these audiophiles headphones here.. If I'm lucky there are some Razer headsets which are extremely overpriced. I live in Brazil you see. So unfortunately I have to decide it without testing I guess..
Old 20-02-13, 09:42 PM
The Webmaster

yup that's what im saying, and if you can stretch to it, try and pickup a modmic from antlion, finally got mine today and it's amazing

Old 20-02-13, 10:06 PM

Sorry if this is hard for me to 'believe' or accept that haha

But aren't like the gaming headsets made to, for example, increase the sound of the footsteps, decrease the sound of gunfire and such? Would a totally faithful headset be better for gaming, actually?

Thanks for your time ^^

KireD
Old 21-02-13, 03:39 AM

Hi,

I owned Roccat Kave and Razer Tiamat 7.1.
when comparing both in term of price, Kave is half of the Tiamat. to me, both perform more and less the same.
in term of comfortness, Tiamat is slightly comfortable compared to Kave, as Kave is heavier and rigid and the headband is stiffer.
like most of the ppl in OC3D, gaming headset is overpriced can, usually.
now i also would like to have one beyer DT770Pro or ATH-AD700.
just want to know that whether sound card, let say Xonar D2X can power the 250ohm DT770Pro.

Tags
kave, megalodon, razer, roccat