Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 26-04-06, 11:09 AM

Opteron : Final check

Please forgive the noobness of the question.

This is a final check - I might be about to invest in a 170. I want a nice dual core Athlon 64 which will overclock on water. Can someone please double confirm for me that I could put this into any 939 motherboard and get good results ?!

Ta !

Dan

Old 26-04-06, 11:33 AM

Two things:

Quote:
939 motherboard
As long as the board manufactorer has released the correct BIOS update

Quote:
confirm for me that I could put this into any 939 motherboard and get good results ?!
No: you put it into a crap motherboard and it'll get crap results

But yes - Opterons are very good
Old 26-04-06, 01:03 PM

And do you think it's a reasonable purchase over a 3800+ X2 if I can get the 170 for about £20 more ? I'm not sure I've seen any benchmarks to show that double the cache gives that much benefit, but it should help a little ?
Old 26-04-06, 01:25 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via AIM to FragTek Send a message via MSN to FragTek Send a message via Yahoo to FragTek
I would say yes. Usually Opteron's are going to be your higher overclocking choice but from what I've heard AMD is binning the Opty's pretty hard these days.

There's definately quite a few X2's out there that smoke in the overclocking department. It's all going to be luck of the draw mate.

My 180 does 3.1ghz windows stable on water but only dual prime stable up to 2.95ghz. Once I get my cascade I suspect I'll be able to run 3.1+ dual prime stable.
Old 26-04-06, 06:45 PM
OC3D Crew

ive got an opteron 170 atm, running at 2.6ghz on stock.

i can run it at 2.8/2.9ghz stable, but with high temps, so im not going to go there until i get water or a phase change, lets see what the money says.

its a schweet processor.

im also running a DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR expert with 2gb of G.skill ram
Old 28-04-06, 03:40 PM
OC3D Crew

get a 3800+ and save urself some money. Tests have already shown that the extra 512 k cache on each proc doesnt do much difference in live gaming performance when compared clock per clock. Not to mention the latest batch of 3800+ are ocing wicked. Check the thread over at XS for more details.

MSI P35 Platinum { Hate it }

Crucial Ballistix Tracers @ 1100 mhz 5-5-5-15

Powercolor HD3870 + Thermalright Cooler { Hate it }

Razer Barracuda AC1

Ocz Powerstream 520 Watts { I cannot believe its still alive }

Thermalright Ultima 90 { Lapped }

LOTS OF FANS !!!!!!!!
Old 01-05-06, 10:25 AM

Any chance of links, either to the test showing the lack of performance on the cache, or to the appropriate XS thread ?

Also, I will be doing quite a bit of video editing and encoding too, not too much gaming - would that change your opinion on the cache ?
Old 01-05-06, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbates
Any chance of links, either to the test showing the lack of performance on the cache, or to the appropriate XS thread ?

Also, I will be doing quite a bit of video editing and encoding too, not too much gaming - would that change your opinion on the cache ?
I would persoanlly go with the Optie hands down. OCable, with the DC wich will help you while doing multi tasking
Old 01-05-06, 12:07 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='|3ourne'
get a 3800+ and save urself some money. Tests have already shown that the extra 512 k cache on each proc doesnt do much difference in live gaming performance when compared clock per clock. Not to mention the latest batch of 3800+ are ocing wicked. Check the thread over at XS for more details.
Hit the nail on the head full pelt IMHO.
Old 01-05-06, 07:37 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbates

I dont have any links right now but It was a thread started by a user named Onepagebook over at XS. People have the wrong idea that the xtra 512k cache per core is equivalent to 200 mhz speed difference. That is not the case. The only thing u will see the difference most apparent in , is SuperPi 1M test. Why ? Becoz instead of refreshing the on-die cache once , the opteron wont need to refresh it at all. But other than that , there isnt that much of a difference which would justify the additional price difference.

1M might make things smooth if u are HEAVILY ( ie. ten firefox windows , autocad , adobe photoshop , Acrobat Professional , winamp , divx open all together ) . But at that level , even 1M cache wont be able to do much and the computer will still be a little slow.

Opterons have a higher heat output than the 3800+ X2s as well. Not to mention they draw more power thus putting a little bit more stress on your mosfets. Factor that in with the 50+ USD price difference ,and you know you wont go wrong with the 3800+ . Most of the 3800+ X2s in the market , made after 0601 are doing great and can easily clock upto 2.7 ghz ( which is 100 mhz faster on each core than the FX60 , albeit at a lesser amount of cache ) . Save that extra money and get more ram for ur encoding. You will be just fine.

MSI P35 Platinum { Hate it }

Crucial Ballistix Tracers @ 1100 mhz 5-5-5-15

Powercolor HD3870 + Thermalright Cooler { Hate it }

Razer Barracuda AC1

Ocz Powerstream 520 Watts { I cannot believe its still alive }

Thermalright Ultima 90 { Lapped }

LOTS OF FANS !!!!!!!!