Welcome to the quick and easy SMP installation guide!
1: First of all you'll need to download a few files...
Next click this link and generate your own private PASSKEY, save it in a .txt and keep it safe.
GET A PASSKEY HERE
2: Extract the Client to somewhere suitable (It must not be in the /Users/ or /Program Files/ DIR!) and navigate to that directory once extracted.
3: Right-click on the 'Install.bat' and hit enter if your user account is the one it has found. At this point you'll need to set a password for your user, but don't worry you can still login without needing to type it every time (We'll get to that bit in a minute).
4: Enter the password you've set in Control Panel > User Accounts and hit enter. The Screen should display the following message:
If you see this twice, MPI is working
If you see this twice, MPI is working
5: Close that window if you get the double message and then create a shortcut to 'FAH.exe' and place it in your Startup folder (in the Start Menu) with the following flags added to the shortcut address:
...\Folding@home-Win32-x86.exe -smp X -verbosity 9 -advmethods
...\Folding@home-Win32-x86.exe -smp X -verbosity 9 -bigadv
Please note that X should be replaced by the number of Cores your CPU has, including HyperThreaded Cores.
Now make another shortcut and add the following flag instead:
Now rename this shortcut to "CONFIG ONLY".
6: Run the "CONFIG ONLY" shortcut and it'll prompt you to enter your user details. Username, supposedly Case Sensitive but I'm not so sure anymore, next Team Number (98860).
(I've setup the config file for you, you just need to enter YOUR username and PASSKEY instead)
7: Don't install the SMP as a service as it can be quite fussy and cause more trouble than good.
8: These are the settings if you wish to configure your Client manually.
* Ask before fetching/sending = NO.
* IE Settings = NO.
* Proxy = NO.
* Acceptable size of work assignment = Big (I personally use Big but I know some people prefer Normal, I've not seen a great difference between choices).
* Change advanced options = YES.
* Core priority = IDLE.
* CPU usage = 100%.
* Disable highly optimised code = NO.
* Pause if battery in use = NO (For Desktops, possibly yes if on a laptop).
* Interval between checkpoints = 15mins.
* Memory allocated = However much you wish to allocate (allowing all of it again won't hog the resources, allowing other processes priority.
* Request work units without deadlines = NO.
* Set -advmethods flag always = YES.
* Ignore system clock = YES (Use this if you reset your BIOS or your overclocks change a lot).
* Machine ID = 1. (This must be different for each Client, I set SMP to 1, GPU '0' to 2, GPU '1' to 3 and so on...)
*Launch Automatically = No.
*Disable CPU Affinity Lock = No (You can try YES, I've read conflicting reports so I use NO with no ill effect).
*Additional Client Parameters = Leave blank.
*Bind IP Address to Core = Leave blank.
9: Now follow these final steps to logon without entering your password and you're done.
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type control userpasswords2, and then click OK.
3. Clear the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" check box, and then click Apply.
4. In the Automatically Log On window, type the password in the Password box, and then retype the password in the Confirm Password box.
5. Click OK to close the Automatically Log On window, and then click OK to close the User Accounts window.
To update your Client you may need to download a new .exe which can be found at the link below (at the time of writing, the .exe is the most recent).
High Performance clients.
Now open up your SMP shortcut (the one we copied to the Startup folder) and start your Folding for Team 98860, Redline @ OC3D!!!