Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 06-01-10, 04:12 AM
The Guvnor

OC3D Review: Crucial M225 128GB

We take a look at the Crucial M225 128GB Solid State drive. Marketed as a notebook upgrade does this mean it cant cut it with the big boys? Vonblade takes a look to find out.

Continue Reading

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 07-01-10, 12:38 PM

Looks good nice consistent speeds compared to some i have seen
Old 07-01-10, 01:47 PM
OC3D Elite

Great review.

£283 >.<

We're about to be on the crest of drives with controllers capable of bursting over 300mbs as an average, one would hope that they take over the £2/G mantle, whilst the ""slower"" <280mbs existing drives head towards £1.5/G (atleast! ) To that extent, it still doesn't look good.

Think with all the reviews of ssds OC3D has under it's belt, we could throw some comparisons charts together.

Can't mock the performance tho.

Old 07-01-10, 02:38 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Rastalovich'
Great review.

£283 >.<

We're about to be on the crest of drives with controllers capable of bursting over 300mbs as an average, one would hope that they take over the £2/G mantle, whilst the ""slower"" <280mbs existing drives head towards £1.5/G (atleast! ) To that extent, it still doesn't look good.

Think with all the reviews of ssds OC3D has under it's belt, we could throw some comparisons charts together.

Can't mock the performance tho.
Lets hope the prices fall- but the main cost is all the NAND, which is the problem

As for the graphs- The crucial was tested in a notebook, so it can't really be compared with all the other SSD's which were tested on a desktop IIRC.

-----------

Project: Flat Pack - Coming soon
Old 07-01-10, 03:42 PM
OC3D Elite

For me, the costing is merely "what can we get away with". I understand sourcing and practical supply/demand studies, but in practice it rarely seems to be the case.

Gonna copyright that phrase one of these days. wcwgaw ?

Old 07-01-10, 07:17 PM
OC3D Elite

Huh? Considering it's basically memory chips and a controller, try and get 128GB of RAM for £300 and let me know how you get on.

Really, they're quite cheap.
Old 07-01-10, 08:54 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via MSN to w3bbo
They are going to have to drop quite a lot more to become appealing to the masses though. For the price of one of these you could have 5TB's of HD space, perhaps more which when run in raid will match/better this speed. However, this is not the case with notebooks.

Great review Bry. What were the write speeds like btw?
Old 08-01-10, 12:34 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='VonBlade'
Huh? Considering it's basically memory chips and a controller, try and get 128GB of RAM for £300 and let me know how you get on.

Really, they're quite cheap.
Can I have the pre-requisit of an existing contract to the supplier and a proposed order of millions/billions of them ?

U ofc can't buy a 128g strip for £300, but where that argument breaks down is that the actual price of the 128g strips is grossly disproportionate to buying the memory chips seperately, or 2x 64g etc. The price of a 128g strip, again, is wcwgaw - 1000s I have no doubt, and there is no way in hell that it would cost half the price to make it. Think Samsung and some1 else are selling them atm.

Old 08-01-10, 12:41 PM
The Guvnor

At the end of the day Rasta its business, without profit there would be no advances in the industry. We all moan about new tech prices, mainly because we want them but cant afford them. Your argument about the price they pay is irrelevent, thats like saying Dell pay next to nothing for their screens from Samsung so we shouldnt pay the price they want for them.

What we must remember though is you could spend £300 extra on a cpu or any other speed upgrade and it would not create an impact like an SSD would. You could yes of couse raid up loads of mechanical drives, but that also requires space and power. I was gobsmacked what a difference an SSD had on my rig, when all the TRIM and Firmware issues are ironed out so the drives perform at top speed for months and months I would recomend these to every user. For now though its an enthusiast item, and a very good one at that.

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 08-01-10, 12:59 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='tinytomlogan'
At the end of the day Rasta its business, without profit there would be no advances in the industry. We all moan about new tech prices, mainly because we want them but cant afford them. Your argument about the price they pay is irrelevent, thats like saying Dell pay next to nothing for their screens from Samsung so we shouldnt pay the price they want for them.
With respect, that's absolute nonsense. Ofc it's business, the advance in technology has very little to do with the wcwgaw prices for products. That whole argument leads to what the economic studying people would call part of the equilibrium price, rnd/supply/costs plus percentages - in the real world it doesn't work like that. What u will get is that equilibrium price that used to be the shrine of good's pricing prior to probably 1990 or so, plus the ""wedge we can add onto it"". Economics also dismiss the reasoning behind why the products cost one price in one currency, equally exchanged values in another currency - and exactly the same figure but a different currency somewhere else. i.e. $99 = £99. It's not for the cost of shipping, importing or anything else, it's because people in the UK will pay for it.

The advance in technology is moving at a snail's pace and has been for maybe 2 decades. It is a very poor representation of cash, and profits made, versus advances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='tinytomlogan'
What we must remember though is you could spend £300 extra on a cpu or any other speed upgrade and it would not create an impact like an SSD would. You could yes of couse raid up loads of mechanical drives, but that also requires space and power. I was gobsmacked what a difference an SSD had on my rig, when all the TRIM and Firmware issues are ironed out so the drives perform at top speed for months and months I would recomend these to every user. For now though its an enthusiast item, and a very good one at that.
Agreed, it is a nice item to have. I haven't noticed to such a great extent the improvement in the mbp other than boot times, of which I don't do much of so that's maybe unfair, and there's different tech going on. The game pc liked them, but ofc they're too small to be any use.

But I do disagree that these are aimed at enthusiasts. These are, and have been for a few years (as it's not new tech), at businesses and the like of people who would buy a top end mbp just to read email.

U could argue for the likes of enthusiasts that buy Alienware products. But to think for the period of time these have been out, that enthusiasts in the main, such as OC3D members, are the target of these devices is crazy. If u took a poll of allthe members, I would be impressed if over 10% had one.

EDIT: I'd even give some leaway on that and say that the SSDs could be of any size from the "cheapest" to the most expensive.