Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Screens and Displays

Old 16-11-09, 04:53 PM

LCD TV Customer support Nightmare

Hi guys,

Probably not the correct forum for the thread, but I will post here and can be moved if required..

A few months ago I purchased a Philips 1080p 42" LCD Tv from a company called 3pins.com The TV was advertised as New but un-boxed, and was only £460.

I travelled to birmingham to pickup the TV and was excellent for the first 2 weeks. The TV then began to make an intermittent shorting sound from the back and took a persuasive tap to stop...

I then called the company and they said bring it in for repair, which I did... A week or so later they said it was ready and I returned and picked it up only to find a few days later the fault was still there.

I took it back again and they were very apologetic and said they would sort it. They called me a few days later and again said it was fixed. I went to birmingham again to pick it up and we tested it in the shop to make sure it was fixed and the problem appeared again (luckily if anything as it saved me another wasted journey.)

They then told me a few days later it was fixed.... and then a week or so down the line... Same problem.

I returned the TV AGAIN to 3pins who then switched the TV for an LG 42" model (42LG5010) and were V. V. apologetic and said all my problems should be resolved.

After a week or so, guess what. Same fault, different TV.

After a week of complaining and phone calls, it transpired they had a faulty batch of tubes that were the same in both the philips and the LG TV's.

They have said bring it in and they will fix it, stick me a new 12month warranty and pay me £15 for my fuel for the journey...

However, I think this is still not really adequate compensation as I have made over 6 trips to Birmingham (130 mile round trip) and I have to wait for 2 hours for them to fix the TV.

What do you guys think is a fair arrangement for this, or should I just ask for a refund and run??

Comet are selling this Toshiba: http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/pro.../specification

for the same price and has more HDMI ports...

Cheers for the advice guys!

Old 16-11-09, 07:03 PM

Personally I would tell them it was not fit for purpose and with all the hassle you have had you want your money back! Or else ask them for a FREE 3 year extended guarantee.

There's lots of good deals around at the moment. Have a look at Richer Sounds, they are online and have shops. Pretty sure there will be one round your way, Birmingham , Nottingham, Leicester and some more I can't remember. They are part of the Empire Catalogue group, so quite a big firm.

I got an LG 47" full high def set from them brand new for £599. I love it, got both freeview and Sat HD built in. Awesome set. 5 year guarantee only costs £59, cheapest you will get anywhere, and they deliver cheap and give great service. Can't praise them enough. No I dont work there, just very impressed how cheap and helpful they were. The same set I got I saw earlier that day for £999 in Comet, and they said it was on offer, reduced from £1399, liars!

Incidentally, how can you have a TUBE in an LCD tv? You had tubes in the old crt tv's!

Or do they mean a backlight tube? I'm no telly engineer but it sounds like BS saying they had a faulty batch of tubes?

Old 16-11-09, 07:28 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Diablo13'
Personally I would tell them it was not fit for purpose and with all the hassle you have had you want your money back! Or else ask them for a FREE 3 year extended guarantee.

There's lots of good deals around at the moment. Have a look at Richer Sounds, they are online and have shops. Pretty sure there will be one round your way, Birmingham , Nottingham, Leicester and some more I can't remember. They are part of the Empire Catalogue group, so quite a big firm.

I got an LG 47" full high def set from them brand new for £599. I love it, got both freeview and Sat HD built in. Awesome set. 5 year guarantee only costs £59, cheapest you will get anywhere, and they deliver cheap and give great service. Can't praise them enough. No I dont work there, just very impressed how cheap and helpful they were. The same set I got I saw earlier that day for £999 in Comet, and they said it was on offer, reduced from £1399, liars!

Incidentally, how can you have a TUBE in an LCD tv? You had tubes in the old crt tv's!

Or do they mean a backlight tube? I'm no telly engineer but it sounds like BS saying they had a faulty batch of tubes?

once in richer sounds the other day, just cant remember any of the deals, sorry! I'd recommend them though.

...on a side note diablo, could you tone your text down a little, it's giving me a headache!!

Old 16-11-09, 08:37 PM
OC3D Elite

In my opinion I would say refund it and run.

The fact that you have had such a bad experience with them already can only mean that you will have bad experiences with them in the future.

Now it may not be their fault but you already left yourself quite a reputation there.

Oh and Comet ftw. Comet are epic with their deals and services.
Old 16-11-09, 08:45 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='zak4994'

Oh and Comet ftw. Comet are epic with their deals and services.
Pfffft. Comet my ringpiece! Give the Co-op electrical a try,i deliver a load of their gear and people are always saying how cheap they are
Old 16-11-09, 08:46 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='nepas'
Pfffft. Comet my ringpiece! Give the Co-op electrical a try,i deliver a load of their gear and people are always saying how cheap they are
Ah lol.

I never meant they were the best.

I was only pushing biscuitboy towards that comet offer.

But you should always listen to Nepas (!)
Old 16-11-09, 09:23 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='zak4994'

But you should always listen to Nepas (!)
Suck up!
Old 16-11-09, 09:25 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='nepas'
Suck up!
Notice the sarcasm.

(!) = sarcastic sentence.
Old 17-11-09, 05:18 PM

Cheers guys. Have to say, think Diablo is right on that richer sounds website tho, No ideas why companys like that dont do more to get onto the google shopping search!

The Toshiba in comet is a good deal and tbh, the warranty will be alot better. Couldnt find anything cheap on the co-op site, thanks tho Nepas!

I'll give them a call tomorrow and chase a refund, still wont be compensated for all my p1ssing around though... What model was that LG by the way Diabolo? Might chase one myself!

Will let you know how it goes tomorrow!
Old 17-11-09, 07:19 PM

You will get a better deal at Richer Sounds M8. Please check out the full spec on that Toshiba carefully. Apart from it only being 40" it will only be a normal 50hz refresh rate, the newer sets are 100hz or above so that you get no motion blur. It's obviously up to you but there were a few things on it that show it as an older model telly.

If you can afford a bit more you will get a much better deal. My LG is an LG 47 7000. Cable and satellite hd tuners built in, 47" and 100hz refresh rate. Three HDMI sockets, 2 scarts, optical audio out. It also has a swivel stand which is useful if you get a few people watching it. It's got a usb socket on the back for pictures and music playback, and a PCMCIA slot for pay tv cards as well. Energy saving auto brightness features and all sorts of settings.

I got a 5 year warrenty on mine for just under 60 quid. You really can't lose. Let us know how you get on