Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Storage Mediums

Old 23-09-09, 09:14 PM
OC3D Elite

from a fresh 32bit install mine was 10gb

Old 23-09-09, 09:21 PM
OC3D Elite

Funny u should mention that, the majority of the folders in the Winsxs thing have AMD64 in their title, and duplicate versions of themselves looking like different sp variants.

If that Win7 is 10.5g on a 64bit ultimate, then there's a huge difference.

Old 24-09-09, 05:28 AM
OC3D Elite

25GB for vista x64 ultimate here, the 'windows' folder that is. If you find a way to strip it down please do tell, my 60GB C: is full xD

Old 24-09-09, 07:48 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='zak4994'
Have you noticed how this thread is about Vista? lol.
Yeah but 8-odd GB is a lot extra for what's basically Vista SP4. So I didn't know if it'll be helpful.
Old 24-09-09, 09:21 AM
OC3D Elite

mines sat at 15.2gb, 64.1k files 13.3k folders
Xspc Rasa | Phobya G-Changer 240 + 360 | Phobya dc12-400 | 7x Orange Xigmatek XLF 120mm
| 2x EK 580 blocks | Alphacool Copper fittings

Old 24-09-09, 10:04 AM
OC3D Elite

Some interesting stuff. Almost definitely upd8 rel8d. It seems that old relationships with shortcuts that the system uses are being replaced but not removed after each visit to the upd8 site.

Actually got some work to do today, but I'll try and look into how to clean this up this afternoon.

Old 24-09-09, 10:14 AM
OC3D Elite

Mine Windows folder is just under 30GB but this install is nearly 3 years old now. Vista Premium 64.
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4700mhz - 47 x 100MHz Mobo: MSI P67A GD65 GPU: EVGA GTX 570 RAM: 2 x 4GB Mushkin LV 1.35v 1600MHz DDR3 HDD: 3 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3's Case: CoolerMaster ATCS 840 - Custom House of Kolor paint job. PSU: Corsair HX750 Cooling: Custom WC - XSPC Delta V3, PA120.3, DDC Ultra with XSPC Res Top, 3/8" XSPC UV Green Tubing over 1/2" Barbs OS: Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64-Bit
Old 24-09-09, 11:46 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='VonBlade'
Yeah but 8-odd GB is a lot extra for what's basically Vista SP4. So I didn't know if it'll be helpful.
whatever happened to vista sp3?

Old 24-09-09, 12:10 PM
OC3D Elite

Immediately I find a forum post that details non-critical parts of Vista that can be looked into for deletion:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=202934

It's a decent post, but I don't think this is dealing with the biggest issue that is Winsxs.

Every bit is good tho.

EDIT: Here are some more people b1tching and complaining about it : http://www.abdevelopment.ca/blog/red...-winsxs-folder

It all seems to revolve around service pack upd8s and cleaning up after they're done. Aparently, each upd8 keeps the old versions of stuff incase u chose to uninstall the certain service pack.

Not doing the sp1->sp2->etc route would probably be the best way to get around it to begin with. This ofc is through the automated inbuilt util. Downloading merely the service pack ur after would be better - although I can remember issues with doing this in the past myself cos they assumed u had things that u never.

Old 24-09-09, 12:53 PM
OC3D Elite

Ok, the definitive answer is in here: http://www.winvistaclub.com/f16.html

.. which leans towards "don't touch it !".

What is going on is that when u run an upd8 for Vista, not just a service pack, any of the files within the original Vista install, mainly the likes of dlls, are linked to and put in Winsxs.

eg. If u run an up8 that includes idontgiveanf.dll (version 2.0), version 1.0 gets copied to Winsxs with an XML reference to it's existance.

oooo xml again.

Now unfortunately there can be well in excess of 25,000 files in this folder, within subfolders, including reference files and the xmls. All ofc adding up to anything around 15g of data. Nice. This is ofc dependant on how much upd8ing u've done. Or I guess what level of sp ur original Vista is - AND if u have Ultimate or a lesser requirment version.

Why do it ?

They've done it so that if they upd8d idontgiveanf.dll to version 2.0, and u have a util that relies on idontgiveanf.dll version 1.0 - the util won't panic.

This is crazy talk imo, but that's the size of it.

"We'll upd8 the files, and keep the older ones incase something needs them."

This is data duplication of a gigantic scale for the sake of it. What is almost the case here is that they're saying idontgiveanf.dll (version 2.0) won't contain ALL the libraries of version 1.0 (which in some cases, like c programming, u find is the case), and just stick with the new stuff. Now this is all well and good IF u don't keep hold of the old version. U purposely don't include the older versions libraries to... save space.. otherwize u would just add the new library stuff to the old one and bump the revision (which I believe has been practice over the years).

So why make a point of removing the older versions from the new versions - but keep the older versions anyway ?

Don't know tbh. It's both illogical, bordering on stupid. U may aswell have just tacked the new on the old.

Now - there are differing reports on what u can do about this. Pushing 30g for an OS install, over half of it being in a location like this is madness.

Some people have deleted all it's contents with success. The only downside I've read about to this point is utils/progs not working cos they look for the older file versions and they aint where they're reported to be. Therein u have instability, crashing, etc etc. But if u have nothing that might do this ? hmm I dunno. I may well experiment at some point by just renaming the folder. If I get issues ofc I can stick it back - or if the same file keeps coming up (if there's a way to find out) just put it back on it's own. Dunno how easy it would be to do that dependant on how many complaints u get.

(and ofc uninstalling upd8s..... well how often do we do that ? u'd have to decide)

It should be the case that if u buy SP2 of Vista, u won't have this problem - YET. And if u use SP1, u'll have less of a problem. Which kinda makes me feel the deletion of the contents should be semi ok. I'll see.

What a big cluster-F if I'm honest. Surprized ? No.

(be warned, u delete stuff at ur own risk, I aint saying to do anything)