Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 14-09-09, 05:39 PM
OC3D Elite

Troubleshooting help pleaaaase

MrsVB just brought a CM Storm with her long-saved birthday money. Carefully took the hardware out the old case and installed in the new one. Turned on. Everything was ok but the boot order was out because we'd forgotten which SATA was which.

Turned it off. Corrected that. Plugged the fans in. Turned on. CMOS Checksum error.

Turned off. Cleared CMOS. Turned on. Fans start, otherwise sweet FA.

Took all fans out so back to the smallest amount of powered items. Fans come on, FA else.

PSU stopped working (twas only cheap anyway) so swapped PSU for a similar model that works fine (mine). Turned on. Same.

Swapped graphics card for an identical one (mine). Turned on. Same.

Tried a Nvidia that doesn't need so much juice. Same.

Took everything out the case and rebuilt it. Same.

Tried individual sticks of RAM in different slots. Turned on. Same.

Every time the Mobo doesn't do the POST beep and my 4850 does a single red LED pulse, followed by three LED pulses, repeated.

Thought perhaps the CPU had been killed, took it out, but the 4850 only does single pulses on the LEDs. Put it back in, single, three, repeat.

So I'm totally out of ideas. Her graphics card works in mine so it's not that. Tried both her and my monitor so it's not that. Tried the RAM (but couldn't swap it for totally new set) not that.

The only things I can't swap to check are the mobo and the CPU (AM2+). But after loads of years I was uber-careful in handling all the components, checking I didn't have a short, treble checking everything before hitting the power. Most of it never even left the mobo.

HELP!! Really help. She's devastated. I'm befuddled.

Old 14-09-09, 08:23 PM
OC3D Elite

Bueller?

Bueller?

Anyone?
Old 14-09-09, 08:31 PM
OC3D Elite

You pretty much ruled everything out :/ It would indeed be cpu or motherboard, my guess is motherboard.

Old 14-09-09, 08:32 PM
OC3D Elite

If there's no post beep (and the speaker is deffo plugged in correctly) + fans spinning I'd be inclined to say faulty CPU from what I've seen in the past.

When i killed a 965BE the other day it had exactly the same symptoms on several motherboards (fans but no beep).

Have you pulled CMOS battery out at all and left it a while? You shouldnt need to do that, but anything is worth a shot i guess.
Old 14-09-09, 09:41 PM
OC3D Elite

I've done a CMOS jumper clear, I've done a CMOS battery, I've done the CMOS battery with shorting.

The only thing that makes me wonder it isn't the CPU is that the error LEDs on the 4850 ran in a different pattern without the CPU installed than they did with it.

Plus, and I'm not sure, but no CMOS beep would imply a mobo long before I thought a CPU. Of course I don't know which is exactly why I'm asking.

I'd just hate to have to RMA two things (would look careless), I'd equally despise having to take it to the one place in the area who have the ability to swap parts out and see what's wrong (in fact I'd buy new bits before I did that), and finally we're just way too poor to afford to replace both a £100 mobo and a £50 processor.

Gah.

You killed a 965?? Seriously?? Next time you have one spare, give me a holler and I'll treat it gently :P
Old 14-09-09, 09:47 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='VonBlade'

You killed a 965?? Seriously?? Next time you have one spare, give me a holler and I'll treat it gently :P
Yeah I'm not proud of it. The poor little blight just melted right in front of my eyes. It'll teach me never to use the AMD Overdrive software again.

I've got a low-end AM3 chip here if you wanna borrow for testing?
Old 14-09-09, 09:50 PM
OC3D Elite

Ok so here's the crack. I can either RMA a £100 mobo and if it isn't that get stitched for P&P and buy a £60 processor. Or I can RMA the processor and get stitched on a mobo. Given that somehow it's failed whilst changing a freaking case. Words cannot express how unlucky I am. If it was made by the YTS kid at 4.30 on a friday, I've brought it.

Unless someones got a spare AM2 processor going I can test with?

Meanwhile, jeez Jim I'd never trust a guesstimate based OC thing. Yowzers. That must have hurt.
Old 14-09-09, 09:52 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='VonBlade'

Unless someones got a spare AM2 processor going I can test with?

Also got an am2 if you wanna borrow
Old 14-09-09, 09:56 PM
OC3D Elite

Either or dude. I just can't afford to RMA the wrong thing and get stung with the "testing needlessly" charge and P&P both ways.

Seriously, if you can that would be a huge help. As long as it's DDR2 AM2 I'm good.
Old 14-09-09, 09:58 PM
OC3D Elite

HD8750WCJ3BGH - any good to ya?