Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 25-07-09, 04:43 PM
OC3D Elite

asrock are the oxfam of motherboards defo go with the abit!

Laptop
[i7-4710MQ | 16GB | 500GB SEVO | GTX 860M]
Old 25-07-09, 04:50 PM
OC3D Elite

... decided to make... picture frames with usb connections....

Engineers jumped ship and can be found in a few other manufacturers, evidence is very visible just by looking at them with an ABit eye. MSI seem to have benefitted to that extent.

This is kinda pre-recession, almost as if they saw it coming and decided it better to consolidate the company's interests b4 the went bust. Slowly they started closing down foreign branches, moved buildings, then closed further areas. (They even showed off X58 mobos at computer shows) Their support for mobos does still exist, and has probably a handful of months to go. (emailed them not too long ago and others have obtained bios information from them via email)

Pretty damn shame, cos they did make some classic mobos. Last few they squeezed out were good, but lacked 2/3 bios updates to really be taken seriously.

IP35-PRO being one of those classics (worth a google), the IP35-e was the budget version, stripped down somewhat, that I know took some oc hammering on some sites as it only retailed around £65 so u didn't really mind bolting cooling solutions too it. Almost certain it was smaller size now.

(see any posts about by BUFF, he's the virtual encyclopedia on most things ABit )

I've always been under the assumption, that I believe is correct, that ASRock are a sub-group of ASUS that they use when they're completely finished with a particular socket and they use them to create a sold mobo with all the lessons learnt. Cos there is always a market for older mobos that crap out from time to time. Believe u can still buy socket 939 ASRock mobos for example. They work, they have the audio/lan/firewire - absolutely nothing special about them, and they work at that step above ur regular OEM mobo. OEM mobos also being a job that ASUS has.

Old 25-07-09, 05:09 PM

Rasta, thanks for a history lesson! It was very interesting to read! And I do mean it!
Old 25-07-09, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Rastalovich'

Cheap as cheap can be £35.

30 day warranty on it should be enough to hammer it to see it works good.

Some1 with more experience with 775 P4's should say if it's good enough for it.
A quick question mate, this mobo supports:

CPU

• LGA775 socket for Intel Pentium 4.

• Supports FSB 1333MHz

does this mean it will support MAX of 1333MHz and naything below? Because my CPU is 800MHz.
Old 25-07-09, 06:13 PM
OC3D Elite

It means the motherboard can support a max of 1333Mhz from stock all frequencies below are supported.

You can overclock to get a high FSB if you want.
Old 28-07-09, 02:43 PM

Toxcity thanks for explanation!

1) Guys what about one of these Asus boards? Asus P5K P35 or ASUS P5Q PRO

If I can get 2nd hand for under £70 are they any good?

2) And can someone explain "PCI-E/GPU Support 16x / 4x" Does this mean this board is not capable of running two cards at the full(16x) speed, so one of them will be slower?

3) And is there any difference between SLI and crossfire? Because some boards only state SLI or CF campatability but not both? If mobo supports on will it also support the other?
Old 28-07-09, 03:06 PM

a x16/ x4 means that one slot will run at x16 and one will run at x4 speed, dont even bother with x4 speed slots they have limited bandwith and are only there to try and make you buy the mb, a mb which supports crossfire or sli will not support the other, only x58 chipset mb do support both.

Also if you plan on getting the asus boards you would be better off in keeping the differience and putting it towards a core 2 duo.

Asus Rampage Formula X48

OCZ Reaper X HPC 1066MHZ

ATI 3870X2

1TB SAMSUNG F1

500GB SEAGATE BARACUDA

SILVERSTONE OLYMPIA 1000WATT PSU

Samsung SyncMaster 2233

Gigabyte 3D Aurora soon to be Lian Li V2100 with full wc setup
Old 28-07-09, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='theelusiveyoda'
a x16/ x4 means that one slot will run at x16 and one will run at x4 speed, dont even bother with x4 speed slots they have limited bandwith and are only there to try and make you buy the mb, a mb which supports crossfire or sli will not support the other, only x58 chipset mb do support both.

Also if you plan on getting the asus boards you would be better off in keeping the differience and putting it towards a core 2 duo.
Thanks Theelusiveyoda! I'm glad I can get quick and good advise here!
Old 28-07-09, 03:39 PM

go to www.newegg.com and look for most reviewed mobo INTEL