Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 05-07-09, 05:40 AM

Constant BSoD's :(

Hi everyone,

Here are the details of my RIG:

CPU => Intel Pentium 4 EE ES 3.73

CPU Cooling => Noctua NH-U12P

GPU => Gigabyte GV-N98TOC-512H

RAM => CORSAIR XMS2 TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX (4-4-4-12)

Motherboard => Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (rev3.3)

PSU => Zalman ZM600-HP

CASE => Antec 900

I had to change the timing on the RAM from the 'AUTO' setting of 5-5-5-18 due to what GA suggested.

My problem is that no matter if I install Vista Ultimate or Windows 7, I get a fairly constant stream of BSoD's all with various messages. Never the same one in a row.

And that is after a clean install !

I have run MEMTEST x86 v2.11 letting it complete 4 passes, which it passed 100%. I have tried Prime95 and it passed.

I have also tried using single sticks of RAM and no difference (but I can only use 2,3 & 4 slots due to the CPU cooler obstructing slot 1.

According to Speedfan, the system doesn't go over 29 degrees and the CPU over 25 degrees.

Its really doing my head in.

If you could post some possible problems, I'd appreciate it.

Regards,

Sam

Old 05-07-09, 10:13 AM
OC3D Elite

It would be help us identify the problem if you could tell us what it says in the BSODs.

This way we can figure out the problem.
Old 05-07-09, 11:01 AM

Have you check errors through Event Viewer?? Usually it helps to track the problem as it says where the minidump is placed.
Old 05-07-09, 11:05 AM
OC3D Elite

Be sure ur installing Intel's chipset drivers also.

Passing memtest & prime would suggest the cpu/memory are ok.

I wouldn't mind betting the SATA setting in the bios is not on ide, but perhaps AHCI.

Old 05-07-09, 11:37 AM

I'll need to plug it back in and hope it stays up long enough to read the event viewer, but as mentioned, when it crashes, its never the same cause in a row.

Sometimes 'quota_underflow', sometimes 'irq_not_equal_or_less' (I think thats correct .

When I last looked at the viewer I saw some event 10 errors, which I googled but the suggested changes didn't make it any more stable.

I have updated all drivers, intel, graphics, you name it and still no joy.

I would need to check the BIOS for the SATA settings, but I am fairly ceratin it is set to IDE as I remember it not starting if I took it off it. Speaking of SATA, I have 2 x Pioneer 213ls (dvd with lightscribe) drives, as well as a Seagate SATA hdd.

I have tried different sata ports, but still same problem.

I'll plug it in and check the event viewer and sata settings and get back to you soon (need to shut this one down to do it).

Could it be my CPU, being as though its a Intel Engineering Sample of the P4 EE 3.73 ?
Old 05-07-09, 12:04 PM

I have just connected the other system up, checked the BIOS:

SATA AHCI - Disabled

SATA Port 0-1 Native Mode - Disabled

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode - IDE (Options are IDE | AHCI | RAID/IDE)

System voltage is set to AUTO (no OC'ing till I make it stable @ stock)

Normal CPU Vcore - 2.20000

With regard to logs... the app log had a couple of user profile errors due to the fact that I use the admin logon and not the user created one. I'll have to keep checking tomorrow, as long as it doesn't get thrown out the window

Weird thing is, its a fresh install of Windows 7, with only most current drivers installed and nothing else, not even AV.....

When I went to view the others, it crashed on me stating that it was preventing damage. no error, only stop 0x00000007e.
Old 05-07-09, 12:26 PM
OC3D Elite

Be sure ur using the yellow sata ports for simplicity.

*ideally* a pc is better set to AHCI atleast b4 installing an OS, then setting to IDE after it's been installed - this is to allow the switching between the 2 at some future point, as the ahci drivers get installed. Going from IDE to AHCI becomes a task in itself.

However, many people never even thinking of using AHCI in the future are ok to stay on IDE from the start.

The bsod reports are coming from drivers, it would be interesting to know what drivers ur using for:

Intel chipset

GPU

Audio

Network (both ports)

after that there are the purple sata ports which will be

jmicron drivers

According to the bsod description u have, it does appear to be driver or drive related.

If u have Vista installed, going to control panel->"classic view"->Problem reports, might detail what driver is actually crashing the system.

Old 06-07-09, 08:04 AM

Sorry for the delay in responding... work and all ... ;p

I re-installed Vista Ultimate with SP1 builtin.

Prior to starting the rebuild I changed the BIOS to:

SATA AHCI - Enabled

SATA Port 0-1 Native Mode - Enabled

Onboard SATA/IDE - Disabled

I have to turn off HyperThreading & Virtualization prior to installing the OS (as advised by the person I bought the CPU from).

Installed Vista, loaded latest nvidia drivers (186.18), loaded intel drivers v9.0.0.18. Side note, Intel's chipset detection software see's my cipset as G965 yet my board is a 965P ?

Once installed, system didn't BSod once in 1 hour. Rebooted and enabled both HT and Virtualization and then nothing but BSoD's....

memory_management (0x0000001A)

page_fault_in_non_paged_area (0x00000050)

irql_not_equal_or_less (0x0000000A)

memory_management (0x0000001A) - again

irql_gt_zero_at_system_service

ecache.sys -> page_fault_in_non_paged_area

I gave up after that ... System would not boot into Windows... just more BSoD's ....

Could the RAM be causing this, even though it passes MEMTEST x86 ?

I really appreciate your time and help with this.
Old 06-07-09, 10:55 AM
OC3D Elite

They all look like memory related errors. I suspect the memory controller instead of the memory, which would require you to replace the motherboard.

Old 06-07-09, 12:52 PM

hmmm.... I was hoping not, but I suspected it or the CPU.

My problem is that when I bought my CPU (an engineering sample P4 Extreme Edition 3.73) the seller strongly advised against using other boards, due to no promise the cpu would function.

Say I replace the board, in your opinion, would the cpu function in say a GA E45-DS4P and would the RAM function too ?

I'll have a look around myself, but some guidance would be appreciated.

Thank's once again.