Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Air Cooling

Old 05-05-09, 09:24 PM

NEED HELP!!!!!! Temps are rising!!

Hello hello hello, first post here and i like the look already, my query is simply this.

I've just got into checking my pc for dust inside as it appeared to be quite filthy to be honest, so i cleaned it out and thought it looked ok, which also brought my attention to the fans within my case.

i wanted to check what temp my pc was inside the case and the cpu, things like that.

So i downloaded a prog called Speedfan (not sure how good it is) also riva tuner and i also checked the temps on the BIOS too.

Quite different readings, so i'll use speedfan for an example, the readings were as follows:

GPU:59C

Temp1:52C

Temp2:35C

Temp3:32C

HD0:34C

Temp1:40C

CORE:51C

CORE:59C

AMBIENT:44C

I know what some of these are like GPU and abient and Core but it doesnt tell me what the others are and i havent a clue how to make them lower, using Speedfan i know there are little flames next to GPU (1st) Temp 52C, Both the CORES 52 - 59C i assume this means theyre running at too high a temperature, all the others have either a tick or a blue arrow pointing down probably signifying cool.

But i could be wrong and this prog could just be crap.

I have a fan at the front of my pc which is blowing in and one at the back which is blowing in too my power supply is blowing out, whic is also at the back at the top, there is a fan with a heat sink over the cpu and a small fan over the motherboard (im not sure what its covering) oh and theres one built into my GPU.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how it could be set up to make it a little (or a lot ) cooler?? I really would appreciate it if anyone could take a look at my plight and offer me some advice.

Thanks very much to whomever took the time to read this.

Oh and these readings are all done with me just sat here with no programs running except my AV, Speedfan and the internet. Not a Heavy load i think you'll agree.

Thanks again.

Almost forgot

SPECS: WIN XP + SP3

ASUS A8N5X

AMD ATHLON64 3800+ San diego 2.2GHZ

2.5GB DDR1 RAM

NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800GS 384MB DDR3

500GB HITACHI (internal) + 500GB MAXTOR (external)

None of the above are overclocked at all they are all stock speeds.

Old 05-05-09, 09:42 PM
OC3D Elite

Mate SpeedFan is an epic program.

Your PC is running a bit (and by a bit I mean a bit) hot.

The icons in the program (the blue arrow, the tick, the fire sign) are set at default at what it thinks is good and bad.

Do not worry about the GPU, as mine is currently residing at 53 C on idle and the only reason your is probably hotter is because thee might not be enough ventilation.

Now for your CPU, I would recommend you get a better air cooler if you are using your stock cooler. If you are using a custom cooler then I would probably recommend better thermal paste.

But for now could you answer the following questions:

Is the air from the GPU being released outside of the case or is it still trapped inside the case?

Also, what kind of air cooler do you have? To find out, look at the top of the fan somewhere in the centre there should be a brand. Check your CPU fan.

Oh and that second fan on the motherboard is too cool your Northbridge.

Reply soon.

PS: Welcome to the forums.
Old 06-05-09, 07:50 AM

Hi Zak

Thanks for replying I checked those fans for you but I can tell you that theres no stickers on them at all?? I know what you mean cos ive got a bigger fan which isnt in the computer at this time and thats got a sticker on it but its too big to go in my pc, but yea the other two are literally bare.

The one on my CPU has got an AMD64 sticker on it but nothing else and the one on the motherboard has an asus sticker on it but thats it also.

Not much help i know, but something i noticed whilst i was checking for the stickers was that the catch to make the CPUs heatsink and fan click back down into place was loose so i jammed it back down the way it should be and well well, the First CORE temp has dropped. This is what they read now:

Temp1:59C

Temp2:42C

Temp3:31C

HD0:32C

Temp1:40C

CORE:42C

CORE:59C

AMBIENT:44C

So the CPU has obviously got a bit better now but one of the CORE readings is still high.

I'm not too sure how i can tell you what kind of fans that i have but i'm open to suggestions.

Thanks again.

(off to work now til about 5 so ill try to get back on sometime today if our work internet security lets me on this site)

Spk l8r.
Old 06-05-09, 08:10 AM

Just to let you know, I'm at work an this forum works here, which is nice.

I can answer your questions from here but obviously I can't check on anything though.

Spk l8r.
Old 06-05-09, 08:19 AM
OC3D Elite

Is it possible to have a image of what we are working with. The temps are not toooo bad but I would be happier (and I am sure you will agree) if the cpu temp was lower.
Old 06-05-09, 10:27 AM

Hi Tox,

I'll Take a pic of it for you when i get back home and upload it to here if i can, not sure if this site allows that, and i know ive never done it before but i'll give it a go.

spk soon and thanks again.
Old 06-05-09, 04:16 PM
OC3D Elite

Your temps do look high eaven for the stock heatsink

mine use to idle at 34c

Reseat your heatsink

this should help

Make sure that you dont put too mutch thermal paste on, small dot in center of the cpu and spread it with a flat surface or finger in a plastic bag works too

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jim'
Is it wrong that I'm enjoying this
-----------------------------------------------------------

Old 06-05-09, 06:01 PM
OC3D Elite

I approve of what Tox said. Pics!
Old 07-05-09, 07:47 AM

Took these this morning, if you ned them any clearer ill do some more after work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LGIM0348.jpg (255.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg LGIM0349.jpg (248.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg LGIM0352.jpg (236.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg LGIM0353.jpg (250.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-05-09, 08:22 AM

I forgot to say before, I can't remove the bracket which holds the heat sink and the fan to the cpu so i don't know if i'm going to be able to put any T.Paste on it.

I've never actually done that before and i wouldn't know where to start with it to be honest, the bracket itself will unclip but will not dislodge from its place, it only loosens, I don't want to force it off an risk damage.

Thanks to all for your replies aswell, i didn't think i would gather such response.