Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 09-03-09, 06:57 PM

Is my PSU blowing my mobo? :banghead:

Hi there

i have a system with an Asus P5QL Pro which went back to asus to be repaired after my system wouldnt boot. Now having got it back (after 40 days) i go out and buy a nice shiny 9800gt with farcry 2, get home and then spend the whole day faffing around with 2 wifi cards which wont work After that i track it down to a broken PCI bus (thanks SIW) and then go out and buy a USB one. Now i have a Fn problem with drivers and then my mouse stops working, i go and take it out the back and BOOM :damn: (well no not really it just stopped, that was for dramatic effect). Same problem as the first time, it wont boot. Now after wrangling a deal with novatech to get a replacement asap, i would like to know if any of you think i either

a) have a dodgy mobo which will break again and again (dont worry im getting a different one!)

b) have a dodgy PSU which blows all mobos - its a crappy winpower (sorry im on a budget here)

c) have any other problem other than gross incompetence/bad luck

Thanks for reading!

Old 09-03-09, 07:25 PM
OC3D Elite

The PSU is a likly murderer of your mobos, I'd suggest putting a new one on the top of you 'things to buy' list if your using a winpower one.

Good quality PSU's don't have to have 10kw ratings, but you'll pay more for one at say 400w that a crap one that claims 800w. It's worth it though.
Old 09-03-09, 07:31 PM
OC3D Crew

i'm clearing out, i have a huntkey 650w psu going for £25. i've had sli gtx 280's running on this fine so it will handle your kit.

let me know if your interested so we can end your bad luck saga

ED
Old 09-03-09, 09:00 PM

Thanks for your opinion and i will try and get a new one asap!
Old 11-03-09, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

People seem to underestimate how important a decent PSU is when building a PC, hopefully this will have made you see the light :P

And be sure to tell all your friends that it isn't worth skimping on a cheap PSU, as look what it did to you!

Dan
Old 11-03-09, 11:00 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='DeMoB'
People seem to underestimate how important a decent PSU is when building a PC, hopefully this will have made you see the light :P

And be sure to tell all your friends that it isn't worth skimping on a cheap PSU, as look what it did to you!

Dan
Yeah, when getting the parts for my PC the PSU was one of the most important, you can't have all this nice hardware with a cacky PSU that will fail and destroy all your lovely PC parts
Old 11-03-09, 11:11 PM
OC3D Elite

Where is that piccar which Kemp uses on all unbranded PSU related threads? The one with the burning PSU.