Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Cases & Power

Old 01-03-09, 08:36 AM

Help I am stuck and I dont know what I am doing!

Hi all,

I am in the process of building a pc to use to play both on and off line games, the only issue is cost, really am on a very tight budget. Also I have never done this before so could use a little advice.

You guys have helped so far in giving me some ideas and tips, now I need your help again.

To start with I bought a Coolermaster Elite 335 case, I know its not as good as the likes of Antec or Lian Li but I thought that this would be perfect for the first time messing around with this sort of thing. Do any of you have one of these or has any of you seen them in action? Just want to know if I have done ok?

Now I need to think about power, motherboard and processor.

I was looking at the Gigabyte GA-EP31-DS3L iP31 Socket 775 MB with a Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 2.5GHz Socket 775 800FSB 2MB, which I believe would be ample (I think) for what I would need. What are your thoughts?

I am a little confused about Power as well, I really do not understand what kind of power supply would be best, again it needs to be cheap but at the same time needs to have enough guts to power the machine and not sound like a 747 taking off! I have been looking on line and have gotten myself in a right two and eight, just cant get my head around what does what!

For most of you guys you will read this thread and laugh as I am sure that you have all been there with your first builds and remember the pain I am feeling lol

Old 01-03-09, 08:51 AM
OC3D Elite

Hi there,

All you have listed so far looks very nice. What graphics card do you plan on using, and also what ram?

As for power supply, that depends greatly on what GPU you are using, so once we know a little more your problems should all get sorted

-----------

Project: Flat Pack - Coming soon
Old 01-03-09, 09:08 AM

Hi there,

I would really like to pop a graphic card with an HDMI output in there as I would very much like to pop it onto my TV too in order to watch films.

I have not even really looked into graphics cards just as yet but will give me something to do after I have helped the other half out with some chores! lol

At the end I would like to pop a Bluray drive in as well so I know that I need to take that into account when choosing the graphics card, do you ahve any ideas?

Sorry to be a pain!
Old 01-03-09, 09:45 AM
OC3D Elite

No problem..

If you are planning on gaming, you will want something like this.

It depends a lot on your budget, obviously you are trying to keep costs down.

Unfortunately Im not to great with budget GPU's, so maybe someone else can help you a little there.

-----------

Project: Flat Pack - Coming soon
Old 01-03-09, 10:30 AM
OC3D Elite

ATi 4670 or 4830 might be a good idea, the 4830 is a remarkably good gamer for its money. Also, the 4750 is supposed to be released in a few months, but that's a bit of a long wait. HDMI will in most cases have to be done using a DVI->HDMI convertor, but I know the 4650 (4670 too probably) has an HDMI connector:

For power I'd say something along the lines of a cooler master extreme power (iirc). Should be one available with 480w, which is sufficient. If you can't find that or you want a bit more oomph you could go for the ocz stealthxstream 500 or 600w.

Old 01-03-09, 03:44 PM
The Guvnor

Most ati cards now come with a dvi to hdmi converter, if it doesnt double check the card will support it and Ill send you one of the ones I have here .

I also have a mobo ram and cpu for sale (check for sale section)

Ill happily bump it up to the fx-62 cpu and ac-64 cooler for you for £110 posted

(mobo 2.8ghz dual core, AC-64pro cooler, and 2gb 8400 ram for £110 posted)

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 01-03-09, 04:00 PM
OC3D Elite

A good gaming card, that is still cheap is the 4670, depends on your budget though. gimme a budget and I'll spec you something
Old 02-03-09, 08:12 AM

Many thanks for the offer for the mobo but my girlfriend ordered the Gigabyte and the Intel Pentium Dual Core that I was thinking of buying as a surprise yesterday

So sorry about that, otherwise I would have been more than a little interested in that!

Will look into the graphic cards a little more now, I really like the look of the ATi 4670 and have heard good things about this so will probably be purchasing one of those before long too!
Old 02-03-09, 08:16 AM

My Coolermaster case just turned up, but it was broken.

Box all bent up and smashed!

Sent it straight back with the delivery guy but now I have to wait even longer!

Oh well, anyways I gotta go to work on late shift all this week so thats not going to be much fun either.
Old 04-03-09, 09:17 PM

Still aint heard anything about my broken case!

It sucks all I wanted to do was to start building stuff at the weekend!

Well could be worse I suppose!

My MB is delayed as well and that has come from another source so I just dont think I am using the right shops lol!