Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat > Serious Discussion

Old 20-02-09, 06:09 PM

British justice, yeah right..

Not long after posting another thread, about a father who raped his own children getting a pathetic sentence, I wonder across another case, of low life scum getting a slap on the wrists. Source from BBCs website.

An illiterate teenager who was convicted of stabbing a boy to death at a house party in Manchester has been given a life sentence. Shane Boyd, 16, will serve at least 11 years for murdering Conor Black in an argument over a Xbox games console. Conor, also aged 16, collapsed and died minutes after being stabbed outside the house in Moston last August.

Boyd, who boasted that he was "the man" after the attack, was found guilty at Manchester Crown Court last month. Judge Clement Goldstone QC sentenced him to life, to serve a minimum of 11 years before he can be considered for parole. Boyd had admitted manslaughter but his plea was rejected by the court.

The court heard Boyd confronted Conor outside a house party in the early hours of 16 August over the alleged theft of an Xbox console. Boyd came out of the house and smashed his victim over the head with a can of lager, before stabbing him in the back as he turned to escape, the jury heard. Conor ran a short distance to a grassy area where he collapsed and died. The court heard Boyd then stood in the road shouting that he "was the best", he "was the man" - before threatening to kill anyone who mentioned his name to police.

Judge Goldstone said: "You had already armed yourself with a knife. "Having seen him you asked someone for a beer can with which you hit him over the head and after he was walking away from you in something of a daze, posing no threat to you, you stabbed him once in the back. "Your initial response was to gloat and to boast to anyone who would be impressed by what you had done."

Shane Boyd will serve at least 11 years of his sentence.

After the sentencing Conor's family released a statement through Greater Manchester Police saying they were devastated by his death. "All the hopes and dreams of a family were crushed when Conor's life was stolen in that terrible, violent way," it said. "His mum lost her friend, her child, her life and that makes us so very sad and helpless."

Det Ch Insp Serena Kennedy, of Greater Manchester Police, said Conor's death had shown the devastating impact knives could have. "One boy's family is grieving the loss of his life, and today the defendant, himself a boy, will start spending his life in prison," she said.

Boyd's cousin, John Boyd, 20, of the same address, was sentenced to three years in a young offenders' institution for assault and perverting the course of justice. The court heard that he threatened a 16-year-old witness he mistakenly believed had told police that Shane Boyd was a murderer.

How the hell can anyone get a life sentence and then have the chance to be on parole in 11 years? A defender of the 'justice system' may point out the chances of him getting out in 11 yeras would be slim, my retort would be why the hell is he getting the chance to be released at all!!

I find these cases incredible, the family of Conor will spend the rest of their lives in anguish over this, a life taken for nothing, and he may be out in 11 years? How the hell is that justice?

This filth / scum / piece of crap murderer, will goto jail, and just be hardened into criminal activity, if he were to come out in 11 years, or 50 years, he wont be contributing on any meaningful level. Yet we'll release this sociopath at some stage to integrate back into society? A piece of crap human who thinks its ok to smash someone over the head, then stab them in the back as they try to flee.

Way to go British Justice.

Fruityness` way to deal with these types? Lock them up forever. Period. And that's just the minimum. I'm an eye for an eye kind of person, let's take the buggers life, see how he likes the feeling of knowing he'll be dead soon like he forced another to go through. And before some bible-type-basher says "So you'd leave the whole world blind". No, just the filth who make what should be Utopia, hell for some.

</end rant>

Old 20-02-09, 06:13 PM
OC3D Elite

i agree with you, this is totally wrong! life should mean life. Cant help but think that if the prisons wasnt so crowded, people would be getting longer (and correct) sentances.

didnt we used to ship all these people to new zealand, cant we start that up again

Old 20-02-09, 06:32 PM
OC3D Crew

I agree, and we should also have the 3 strikes system used in some states in the US. If someone commits 3 serious charges then they should be given life. That would put an end to the career criminals. Regards prisons running out of space, there's not an easy answer to that. The more prisoners we have, the more prison guards, space and money we need. Adding to the population that is already at bursting point would cause more problems and could cause more dangers to the public and prison staff. It's a catch 22 situation.
Old 20-02-09, 06:45 PM
OC3D Elite

I can solve the prison problem,THere are plenty of islands around Scotland,just ship them up there and let them fend for themselves
Old 20-02-09, 06:48 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='nepas'
I can solve the prison problem,THere are plenty of islands around Scotland,just ship them up there and let them fend for themselves
hehe, like the rock.

Old 20-02-09, 07:29 PM
OC3D Elite

Always makes me think of Bill Hicks "Well we didn't lose a cure for cancer".

I've always been of the "up against the wall" brigade. Punishment should be exactly that. I appreciate that, in these modern enlightened times, nobody would want a repeat of the "give it to him" incident, but then with DNA testing we can almost wholly eliminate that problem. At the very least we should give the convicted a choice of x years in prison or execution.

But then most of us become less understanding the older we become. It's not "larks", it's not "awww the poor deprived urchin", it's words I'm not allowed to use on this forum.
Old 20-02-09, 08:33 PM
OC3D Crew

In my opinion if it's proven someone has murder'd someone delibratley in cold blood, then the offender should be given a death penalty, rather than the governmant (more like us) paying for them to be looked after in prison and taking up prison space, which we have little off, what on earth are we keeping murderers and psychos for!!!????

I feel the most likely would reduce the likelyhood of such things happening.

Bring back the death penalty
Lian Li V1000 Plus - Core i7 920-Rampage II X58-Watercooled With 2x Feser TFC Xchanger 120mm Rad, EK Supreme Acrylic CPU Block, Laing DDC-1T Ultra Alphacool Top XSPC Res-XFX GTX295 (Overclocked 680/1380/1100mhz) - 3x2GB (6GB Total) Corsair Dominator Triple Channel DDR3 1600mhz - Tagan Piperock 1100w PSU - OCZ Summit 120GB SSD (O.S) - 2x WD Velociraptors Raid-0 (Storage) -Windows 7 RC1 64Bit
Old 20-02-09, 08:35 PM
OC3D Crew

p.s and for the prison over population problem... for people convicted of worser crimes throw em all in a cell together why should they have special treatment?
Lian Li V1000 Plus - Core i7 920-Rampage II X58-Watercooled With 2x Feser TFC Xchanger 120mm Rad, EK Supreme Acrylic CPU Block, Laing DDC-1T Ultra Alphacool Top XSPC Res-XFX GTX295 (Overclocked 680/1380/1100mhz) - 3x2GB (6GB Total) Corsair Dominator Triple Channel DDR3 1600mhz - Tagan Piperock 1100w PSU - OCZ Summit 120GB SSD (O.S) - 2x WD Velociraptors Raid-0 (Storage) -Windows 7 RC1 64Bit
Old 20-02-09, 09:22 PM

My opinion, you may not necessarily agree with me;

I think giving the boy a life sentence would not be the most appropriate thing. Always remember, the prison system is not just for punishment, but it is also for rehabilitation. Lets look at the facts. He killed his "friend" over a video game issue. This does not mean that he is a cold blooded killer or something along those lines. What happens when you have 200/10 in a game of counter strike? Personally I go out yelling I AM the MAN.

I am not saying that it is justified what this boy did, and I am also not blaming video games for his actions. However, considering the fact that this boy is a minor, and the fact that he has his whole life ahead of him, giving him a second chance to feel remorse for what he has done, and rehabilitation shouldn't be completely out of the question, can it?

-HypoG
Old 20-02-09, 10:43 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='HypoglossalXII'
My opinion, you may not necessarily agree with me;

I think giving the boy a life sentence would not be the most appropriate thing. Always remember, the prison system is not just for punishment, but it is also for rehabilitation. Lets look at the facts. He killed his "friend" over a video game issue. This does not mean that he is a cold blooded killer or something along those lines. What happens when you have 200/10 in a game of counter strike? Personally I go out yelling I AM the MAN.

I am not saying that it is justified what this boy did, and I am also not blaming video games for his actions. However, considering the fact that this boy is a minor, and the fact that he has his whole life ahead of him, giving him a second chance to feel remorse for what he has done, and rehabilitation shouldn't be completely out of the question, can it?

-HypoG
But then that could go either way. He might regret what he done, or he might think it was "fun" and then join a gang and express his "feelings". But I see what you mean HypoG.