Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Member Reviews

Old 21-12-08, 06:56 PM
OC3D Elite

Review: Scythe kaze master ace 5.25"

Scythe kaze master ace

Since I purchased my new rig and started folding on it at night I found her to be a little bit noisy. I asked my brother to order a Scythe kaze master ace fancontroller with his rig so I could silence the huge fans in my HAF.

Features

The features I found most important are the following:

- 4 temperature sensors

- 4 controllable fans, from off (0 volt) and from 3.7 to 12 volt.

- Shiny look (hey, the eye wants something too)

- Good buttons, no flimsy stuff as I found on some other controllers

- Clear FMV display which can be read from almost any angle and does not emit too much light.

- Alarm which goes off when a fan speed drops to zero when voltage is still > 0.

Packaging and bundle

The Ace is sent in a quite small package with the 'standard' Scythe layout: lots of rings, bells and strange japanese signs.

I'm not really a packaging man, so let's move on by opening the package.

This unveiles the components in a simple but effective foam protective layer. Pictured on the photo below is everything I found in the bundle:

- The 5.25" controller itself which was packaged in an antistatic bag which I removed for the sake of photo composition.

- 4 standard 3pin / 4pin PWM to Ace fan wire convertors, numbered 1-4.

- 6 temperature probes, numbered 1-4 and two spares.

- 1 Molex to Ace power connector.

- A manual, 5 languages on two pages.

- Four screws, a few pieces of double sided tape and the shipping materials.

Looks

Always an important thing when it's about external devices. Personally I like it a lot, but I'm not going to say much more about it and let the pictures to the talk. Saves you from having to read my english :+

And after installing:

Installation

The installation of the controller is best described as a disaster. This is what I did...

1: get the fancontroller near the drive bays but still have it hanging out. I did this by connecting the power cable and then let it use that to hang out of the drive bays.

The molex to power cable. When looking at this picture I certainly understand why Scythe chose for a custom connector. The custom connector is way smaller, probably making the board easier to design.

2: Connect the fans to the fan wires to the fan controller.

Well, as it describes... Not exactly a fun job, routing four cables through what was already a mess behind the motherboard tray, but in the you will succeed. Major pain here is the badly chosen position of the fan connections on the board:

The fan connectors being in the worst location possible.

Also here Scythe decided to use custom, smaller, connectors

3: locating the temperature probes

This was a difficult step, but I didn't expect it to be easy anyway. After placing the four probes at different locations (front intake, at CPU cooler fins, above CPU cooler, between CPU cooler and exhaust), the probes had to be fitted into an array of pins named RT1 - RT4:

From left to right: The beeper on/off jumper, the power connector, the temperature probe connectors and the *C/*F jumper

And the probes themselves of course

4: Final checks

Is everything correctly inserted? It wasn't in my case, two of the four temperature probes were connected to only one of their two pins. Also do not forget to see if your temperature settings are right (jumper on *C or *F) and if the BEEP for the 0RPM alarm is on. I left this on, but I seriously advise you to turn it off if you want to keep everyone in the house asleep...

Conclusion

The Scythe kaze master ace is one hell of a fan controller. The only thing I feel it's missing is maybe the control over more than 4 fans. Installation is a pain, but once you have done that it's a very nice controller

The pro's:

+ clear VFD display

+ Shiny looks

+ High build quality

+ Fan failure alarm

+ Two spare temperature probes

The cons:

- Layout of the board

- Probably will not fit into cases with a front door because of the knobs sticking out.

- Fan failure alarm doesn't just wake you but the whole house and maybe the neighbours too.

Old 21-12-08, 07:51 PM
OC3D Elite

wow, some top quality shots in there, Nicely laid out and nice review

I believe this is your 3rd now.. Very well done so far, keep it up!

-----------

Project: Flat Pack - Coming soon
Old 21-12-08, 09:24 PM
OC3D Elite

Thanks

Yeah, is my third so far I have to work quite a lot during the holidays, but my goal is to get at least another 3 or so up before school starts again.

And about the shots: a Sony a350 with tripod helps. A lot :+

Old 22-12-08, 07:55 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='monkey7'
Thanks

Yeah, is my third so far I have to work quite a lot during the holidays, but my goal is to get at least another 3 or so up before school starts again.

And about the shots: a Sony a350 with tripod helps. A lot :+
Nice one, Im trying to get as many done in the holidays as well

a350 :O Good choice, I use my dads a700, If you can afford a flash gun for it it makes a whole world of difference.

-----------

Project: Flat Pack - Coming soon
Old 22-12-08, 01:04 PM

I nearly bought one of these the other day, the deciding factor - as you mentioned - was that it could only control 4 fans. I have 6 fans currently, and one stalker..

Great review though
Old 22-12-08, 05:02 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='teknokid'
Nice one, Im trying to get as many done in the holidays as well

a350 :O Good choice, I use my dads a700, If you can afford a flash gun for it it makes a whole world of difference.
My dad's choice It's his camera ^^. He's also got a remote flash for it, but personally I do not like using that because the light will probably get uneven and maybe a bit too much reflections on shiny surfaces. Might just try some shots with it next time though.

And yeah, the lack of two more fans is quite annoying... My CPU fans are currently on the motherboard, one automatically controlled and the other with a Noctua LNA. Will have to buy or make a 2 -> 1 fan wire to have them both controlled by the mobo.

Old 22-12-08, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

lol @ alarm
Old 06-02-09, 11:48 PM

Hey monkey7 I don't know if you can help me or not, but I might as well ask. I've got 3 fans in my case, but they only have the 4 pin molex connectors. Would I be able to use this fan controller if I bought one? Or is there any way I can control my fan speeds even though they only have 4 pin molex connectors? I have a noisy fan in my new case and its driving me nuts lol.
Old 06-02-09, 11:56 PM
OC3D Elite

Hmm you'd need to do some cable cutting for that mate. You'd have to remove the head from the extension cable and connect it to the red molex wire, which normally is the 12v supply. RPM is still a problem though.

I think it'd be better to just buy a new fan for €5 or so.

Old 07-02-09, 12:00 AM

Well thats the problem lol. I have the Thermaltake Armor+ MX and the fan thats noisy is the 230mm one on the side window...so I can't really replace it lol. I heard it was supposed to be quiet too, which really dissapoints me. If I could somehow lower the voltage to it just so it runs at a lower RPM it would be fine. Any ideas?