Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Storage Mediums

Old 31-01-09, 12:42 AM

Hmm that actually seems like a good idea. I what HDD's are you using in your RAID 0? And I guess my programs and such on my comp arent all that important since I could always just reinstall them, and I already put all my important stuff on my external. Have you actually had any problems with HDD's dying in your RAID 0? Also, if a RAID 0 disk does die, do you just reformat the disk thats still there and buy a new one/get warranty on it? And afterwards just reinstall windows and everything? I've never had an HD fail on me before so im not sure what the whole process would be but this seems like a logical way to go about it I would think.

Old 31-01-09, 01:16 AM
OC3D Crew

If the HDD fails, then you're pretty much always going to have to RMA it. Which is why a 5 year warranty is good. If you're in RAID 0 then you're also going to have to format all the other drives as they are now useless.

I'd wait for the replacement 4th drive before reinstalling raid 0 though. Just do a basic install of your core programs.
Old 31-01-09, 01:39 PM

Are you saying you'd have to re format even the drives that weren't in the RAID 0 array?
Old 31-01-09, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Niavlys77'
Are you saying you'd have to re format even the drives that weren't in the RAID 0 array?
No, if you had 3 drives, 2 of which were in the raid0 array, one of which broke, all info on this raid0 array would be lost, the other 3rd drive (not in the array to start with) would be fine. These days, you dont really reformat as such with raid0, you just build it in the bios, and off you go

yes - this is a raid 0 drive mr computer

yes - this is the other raid 0 drive mr computer

yes - connect them together please mr computer

job done.
Old 31-01-09, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Niavlys77'
Hmm that actually seems like a good idea. I what HDD's are you using in your RAID 0? And I guess my programs and such on my comp arent all that important since I could always just reinstall them, and I already put all my important stuff on my external. Have you actually had any problems with HDD's dying in your RAID 0? Also, if a RAID 0 disk does die, do you just reformat the disk thats still there and buy a new one/get warranty on it? And afterwards just reinstall windows and everything? I've never had an HD fail on me before so im not sure what the whole process would be but this seems like a logical way to go about it I would think.
Currently I have 3 seagate barracuda in my raid0 array. Speedy.

In my experience with drives, they either break soon out of the box or are DOA than break many years down the line.

So if one of your drives were to die, you'd just RMA the bugger get a replacement, and rebuild the array in the bios. And install windoze etc as you say.

Clearly though, the more drives you add into a radi0 array the more chance there is for one of them to go wrong. Really though, for me and this gaming computer I'd rather have speed, than redundancy and long ass file integrity checks following a BSOD. But if you're going to NAS then raid 5 or raid1 would be much better.

Come to think of it, I dont believe I've had a more modern drive die on me. And I've used a lot of them in the last 15 odd years, what with computers for me, the family and even a server I had running when I was more into the unreal tournament `99 and `04 games. Had that puppy up and running well over ONE year, without any downtime or issue.
Old 31-01-09, 06:24 PM

RAID 0 is sounding better and better lol. A couple more questions, does the speed of the array increase with the number of drives you put in it? And the total capacity of the array is the same as the total capacity of all the HDD's in it right? I think I already know the answers but I'd just like a knowledgeable person such as yourself to confirm it lol