Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Software Section > OS & Apps

Old 30-01-09, 05:36 PM

???How to manually clean you vista registry???

I've been looking online to no avail for articles explaining how to manually clean your registry

I'm reluctant to use a payware/freeware program as I'd rather have manual control and understanding of the registry

Anyone got any good guides or who can help out?

Many thanks

Old 30-01-09, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

maybe go on start - execute - write regedit to enter registry?

Q6600 @ 3.0ghz / thermalright ultra 120 / MSI P35 Platinum / Gforce 8600 GT super 512 / 2gb Kingston HiperX / Soyo 460w / Maxtor 250gb
Old 30-01-09, 07:48 PM

hey thanks for the info i know how to get the registry up but i'd like to learn about what i do when i get the???
Old 30-01-09, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

depends of what you want to do, an example if you want to delet a software registry do this - Open the regedit thing - go to HKKEY_CURRENT_USER and open the + simbol - there will be a Software folder there open it and all your installed softwares registers will be there - click the one you like - and delet the files inside or just delet the entire folder (the software you want) entirely. after this there will be no registry of it anymore man. if the explanation isnt good i make a better one with more time, just ask if you still need

--- Small update ---

i forgot something the HKKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder also has the softwares folder (if its a software instaled for all users you must delet there aswell. also if it has more than one user and adm you have to do it with all other users and not only the current user folder.

Q6600 @ 3.0ghz / thermalright ultra 120 / MSI P35 Platinum / Gforce 8600 GT super 512 / 2gb Kingston HiperX / Soyo 460w / Maxtor 250gb
Old 30-01-09, 08:41 PM
OC3D Crew

Best bet with the registry is if you are not sure whats good and whats not, don't touch! If you delete an entry that's needed you can make a mess of your system. Try a registry cleaner, but even they can create problems, and ALWAYS do a back up of the registry before you mess around with it.
Old 30-01-09, 08:43 PM
OC3D Elite

ccleaner reg cleaner has never caused me issues just so ya know
Old 30-01-09, 08:44 PM
OC3D Crew

The best way I can think of having a play about with the registry is creating a partition (or using a spare HD) and installing your Operating System of choice on it. Have a play about with the registry and if you mess something up it doesn't matter. If something goes wrong and you can't get into windows or errors arise you can either reinstall or repair the install
Old 31-01-09, 12:05 AM
OC3D Elite

If ur asking about it, don't mess with it tbh.

The majority of the cleanup things are all by their dozens and a very elongated tedious things to do - even worse by hand.

U can ofc read up and learn about the whole thing, u can also export the thing b4 doing any editing incase u mess something up.

However bestest thing to do is to use a recommended util, ccleaner is a good one, and there are others - also some bad others, so perhaps stick with the ones that people personally recommend as above.

1 thing also, don't go nuts removing things, it doesn't help a massive amount vS things that can go wrong.

I hardly ever use one myself.

Old 20-02-09, 07:15 AM

a

potiskanje, tako lepo temo dobro delovno mesto