Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 29-01-09, 07:12 AM
OC3D Crew

Well I have been a two finger typer for over 20 years now, so why change the habits of a lifetime. I am pretty quick to say I only use two fingers though

Old 29-01-09, 08:48 AM

What's with the character's per minute measurements? Don't people measure in words, anymore? Is the standard conversion still 5 characters per word? At any rate, I'm still typing between 80 and 85 WPM, correcting as I type.
Old 29-01-09, 09:17 AM
OC3D Elite

Chars is european, words is for the Americans who have to be different for some reason :P And I don't think the standard conversion is 5 per word, as all Americans would be typing lightning fast then. At my top of 400cpm most people start glancing at me like I'm on fire *whistles*

The QWERTY is designed to have the keys most spread around all your fingers. In mechanical typewriters this would indeed mean you spread the hits around the different levers, in digital writing this means you spread the hits around your different fingers. This has the advantage you can type faster, try typing a word which only has letters in the left side of your keyboard. You can't do that fast, especially if you have a string of letters on the same finger.

Other countries have other layouts because different letters are used. Like the QWERTZ of germany and the AZERTY of belgium.

Old 29-01-09, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='stuartpb'
Well I have been a two finger typer for over 20 years now, so why change the habits of a lifetime. I am pretty quick to say I only use two fingers though
You probly don't hunt and peck, you'll know the layout of the keyboard and just peck at the keys.

I have a friend like this, he knows exactally where every key is on the keyboard but still has to peck because he has stubby little fingers.

Although on a slightly different note, there is a SMS keyboard which will atleast mean that every kid in the UK would be able to touch type. Would post a link but I can't currently roll on the posts.

-={Q}=-
Old 29-01-09, 10:58 AM
OC3D Crew

I never learned to touch type when I was a kid because it wasn't an option for lads back in the day (well not a safe one anyways). We done woodwork, metalwork and all the usual man-stuff. The girls done typing, cooking and all that mallarky. How times change, eh?
Old 29-01-09, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

I do touch type- but I just realised I'm only using one or two fingers from each hand at most! I kind of put my fingers near where the letters are that I know I'm going to be hitting next in the word- but only ever one or two letters ahead, so my little fingers never touch the keyboard at all! Might try learning to use all my fingers but when I try putting index on F and J and going from there I always go back to two fingers from each hand again lol.

This keyboard is more logical, but like imperial and metric- just because something is better, doesn't mean it will prevail. [In America at least- surely they should be using SI units in the 21st century LOL!].

Old 29-01-09, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

all we need now is for them to develop a NIA for typing, now that would be awesome, think of characters and it types it out. Fantastic.
Old 29-01-09, 12:02 PM
OC3D Crew

I have to look whe I stat to type but then I am able to just type away, tis wierd. I use thumb and the next two fingers with the thumb for space with sometimes using my left, erm, ring finger.

At a job interview I was tested on touch typing. 24 words per min dropping slightly to 23 words without mistakes. This is in the uk so i dont know what the difference between chars and words is ;D
Old 29-01-09, 12:10 PM
OC3D Elite

I thought the QWERTY was invented so not all the keys you need for everyday words are stuck together (I have no idea on how they came up with such an excuse...).
Old 29-01-09, 12:29 PM
OC3D Crew

Read up, I have been told about the typewritter typists getting too fast.

So it was spread around so that the hammers woud not hit each other and cause a jam.