Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 24-01-09, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

New heatsink, now MB won't boot/POST.

Hi guys,

My dad just had his friend come around. He is fitting a Thermal Take Big Typhoon heatsink on the CPU (same heatsink as ours). Just a upgrade, last one was working fine again AFAIK.

I wasn't invited to help until they ****ed up something .

The problem is now the computer doesn't boot up at all, nothing. The CPU fan turns on for about a second when you push the power button, spins a bit then stops. The MB light is on. No beeps, even with the speaker connected. Press the power button again and the fan turns on once again for a second, but nothing else. No other fan seems to turn on.

The power cables into the MB I checked look fine. Has the 4pin one in too.

Tried with nothing connected/power/data and no RAM, still the same.

Well, they wrote down all the cable connections, orientation, colors, negatives and positives etc and it looks okay to me.

Before they started fitting this new heatsink it was working fine AFAIK. It was fitted correctly with thermal paste/insulators. They said one of the capacitor leads was quite long, perhaps it pierced through the insulator and touched the back of the heatsink support? I don't know if this is the case or not though. No loose metal things touching the MB from what I can see too.

Any advice guys?

Thank you!

Edit: Dad says he doesn't think it went through, he said it "squashed" a few of the wires (metal studs with solder)...

Edit#2:

Okay all the fans turn on and work at the same time, my mistake. Only for a second though(as above).

Cooler Master HAF X | Noctua NH-D14 | Intel Core i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz | EVGA Nvidia GTX 460 SC 1GB | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3P | Crucial Ballistix 4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL8 | Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 700W | Noctua NF-P14 Drivebay fan w/16x LED | Crucial M4 128GB SSD | WD Raptor 150GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Acer 22" | Nzxt Sentry 2 | Logitech Illuminated Keyboard | Logitech G500 | Audio-Technica ATH-A900

Old 24-01-09, 06:24 PM
OC3D Elite

Sounds a hell of a lot like a shorted motherboard to me. First I'd try putting the stock hsf back on just to see if it's the big typhoon being nasty.

If it is, I'd try a remount with a piece of rubber with holes in it just large enough to let the mounting mechanism pass through. That way you'll have good insulation on the motherboard side and you'll be 99% sure it's not shorting on the back of the motherboard.

Old 24-01-09, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply Monkey, we just took the HS back off, and couldn't see anything at all poking through. We also took the foam off and inspected all the solder joints, seems fine to me...

With the 4 pin MB power lead disconnected all the fans spin for about a second. With the 4 pin power lead connected (as well as the other larger one) they only spin for about a ms then come to a hault quickly, and it won't let me press the power switch again until I reset the PSU.

Cooler Master HAF X | Noctua NH-D14 | Intel Core i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz | EVGA Nvidia GTX 460 SC 1GB | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3P | Crucial Ballistix 4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL8 | Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 700W | Noctua NF-P14 Drivebay fan w/16x LED | Crucial M4 128GB SSD | WD Raptor 150GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Acer 22" | Nzxt Sentry 2 | Logitech Illuminated Keyboard | Logitech G500 | Audio-Technica ATH-A900

Old 24-01-09, 07:02 PM

Strange, you sure it's making good contact?

Possibly take it out of the case completely and see if it'll run on your table for example, if it does... you have a problem inside your case.
Old 24-01-09, 07:11 PM
OC3D Elite

I had the same problem, and it was a shortening.

Reset the CMOS and remove the battery for an hour.

Boot the comp up out of the case, also resitting the CPU before booting up. Remove all hardware such as RAM and graphics. Then boot up when installed everything fine.

Worked for me.
Old 24-01-09, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, all making good contacted. Forgot to mention I did clear the CMOS (reset), but I only removed the battery for the time it says in the manual to reset the CMOS as well as the jumper.

We haven't tried booting it out of the case yet, couldn't see anything touching the board in the case, but I will suggest that to him.

Resitting the CPU, if it was wrong would this stop all the fans going on? (even PS fan)

Thanks guys!

Old 24-01-09, 07:21 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Technex'
Yeah, all making good contacted. Forgot to mention I did clear the CMOS (reset), but I only removed the battery for the time it says in the manual to reset the CMOS as well as the jumper.

We haven't tried booting it out of the case yet, couldn't see anything touching the board in the case, but I will suggest that to him.

Resitting the CPU, if it was wrong would this stop all the fans going on? (even PS fan)

Thanks guys!
Having the CPU not seated correctly can certainly do some amazing things. The problem with me was I had the mobotray screw holes contacting the solder on the underside of the mobo and it was shortening it. Kept doing what you have described.

Just trial and error mate.
Old 24-01-09, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

i agree with all the other users said, but pay attention to the thermal paste, if theres too much, also see if the cpu is in the correctly set. try booting it outside case aswell, i know a dude who has his pc all spread in his desk

Q6600 @ 3.0ghz / thermalright ultra 120 / MSI P35 Platinum / Gforce 8600 GT super 512 / 2gb Kingston HiperX / Soyo 460w / Maxtor 250gb
Old 25-01-09, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Hi guys, boots up fine without CPU in, doesn't with CPU in. Cleaned all the contact pins and still the same... Intel quad core Q6600...

Old 25-01-09, 02:20 PM

If it won't boot up out of the case with the cpu in and everything is clean and in correctly then it sounds like maybe the cpu died when installing the new fan.

Maybe the new heatsink did not make good enough contact and it cooked it before you turned it off,usually they don't die if you turn them off quick enough but even 6+seconds can be bad especially if you had the voltage up for overclocking before you put the new fan in.

Only thing you could try to make sure it's the cpu is to put it in another board if at all possible and see if it boots up then.