Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat > Rants

Old 24-01-09, 09:52 AM
OC3D Elite

That looks like a nice clean car. i read somewhere that diesels dont really run in till about 80,000 miles.

Old 24-01-09, 10:33 AM
OC3D Elite

L reg represents how old the car is, the system going from A to Y with the letter changing once per year at the right of the number plate, then after 1984(ish) swapping to the other side and repeating A to Y, hence L reg is mid nineties.

i7 5960X 4.5GHz -EK Supreme EVO - Asus - X99-WS-E - 32GB 2400MHz RAM - 680GTX SLI Koolance Blocks - Creative Titanium Pro - TJ07B-W - Plextor 240GB PCIe SSD - 3TB HD - Dual Loop
Old 24-01-09, 11:23 AM

nice little car there
Old 24-01-09, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Nice motor, hasn't suffered from plastic fade too much considering it's age, but re-spraying the bumpers made my mate's corsa look about 5 years younger!

What sorta watts you getting through the parcel shelf? (Obv no head unit atm tho LOL)

Old 24-01-09, 05:21 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='nepas'
errrr,thats not true,I would rather do a headgasket in a few hours compared to an engine swap which could take all day
well the guy i know, said he prefers swaping the engine out, because he its less hastle *shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Diablo'
The problem is you don;t know what state the rest of the engine is in if the head gasket is gone. The insurance isn't too bad TBH. On my policy (I'm 18) fully comp with a £250 excess with Quinn on a 1.6 53 reg corolla it costs about £1700. Even so all insurance is ridiculous for under 21s. I mean we aren't all bad drivers who actively crash into things...I'm waiting for my no claims to kick in properly.
we just chucked the old engine, my new one should be fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='HypoglossalXII'
Mate, what do you mean by L Reg? I assume it means your number plate carries the letter L but what does this mean and what are the other registration options?

Considering the prices, I think you've done pretty well for yourself

-HypoG
the reg, as is said above, L is 1994 aprox, R/S was like 1998, etc etc

we now have a system of 0x for the year

for example, the other car i drive is an 03 plate

YL03 V*P

(put the star in so no1 can use it :P)

which means YL means yorkshire, leeds, and 03 means the year, 2003

the last three letters are just random

before, it was Xxxx XXX

where X was a letter, that gave the rough year of the car

xxx was three random numbers

and XXX was three random letters

but for some reason i only have two numbers, but i dont mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='sammjj'
nice little car there
thanks

ooo, someone from neerby! makes a change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Kerotan'
Nice motor, hasn't suffered from plastic fade too much considering it's age, but re-spraying the bumpers made my mate's corsa look about 5 years younger!

What sorta watts you getting through the parcel shelf? (Obv no head unit atm tho LOL)
i back-to-black'ed it

and i have no idea, they're all stock speakers, i dunno if they even work tbqh
Old 24-01-09, 05:38 PM
OC3D Crew

very clean car for the year

p.s L reg is the year eg. S Reg 1998 1999 T Reg 2000 V reg 2001 Y Reg and so on.

Howver the system has now changed from 2001 Y reg it stated as 51 reg as from march its 02 sept 52 march 03 sept 53 and so on
Lian Li V1000 Plus - Core i7 920-Rampage II X58-Watercooled With 2x Feser TFC Xchanger 120mm Rad, EK Supreme Acrylic CPU Block, Laing DDC-1T Ultra Alphacool Top XSPC Res-XFX GTX295 (Overclocked 680/1380/1100mhz) - 3x2GB (6GB Total) Corsair Dominator Triple Channel DDR3 1600mhz - Tagan Piperock 1100w PSU - OCZ Summit 120GB SSD (O.S) - 2x WD Velociraptors Raid-0 (Storage) -Windows 7 RC1 64Bit
Old 24-01-09, 06:53 PM

Its quicker to change the headgasket then out the engine if you know what your doing
Old 25-01-09, 06:12 PM
OC3D Elite

maybe, but the guy i knows would rather just out with the old and in with the new...

so i let him do that, i'd rather not cause him more hastle than i had to, cos he is doing me a favor..
Old 25-01-09, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

To be hones it totally depends on how the gasket is blown. Mainly there are two ways it could go wrong.

1st one being worst. This is when the gasket is blown either between two cylinders or between cylinder and water channel or cylinder and oil channel. This requires a lot of work, head needs to be skimmed if not replaced with new all together, the whole cylinder block might need to be skimmed (depending on the material of the block), if it blows real bad between water channel and cylinder, not only skimming needs to be done but piston rings will need to be replaced, and that is for each cylinder since the compression has to be kept at the same level.

+ the usual gasket, oil, water or coolant

2nd one being the easiest to fix ie. quite literally just replace the gasket and maybe bolts. It usually happens when water pressure is too high or just due to not tightened enough head, or maybe oil pressure to high it just goes on and on and on.

so just replacing the usual is enough
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 800px-Head_gasket_on_block copy.jpg (97.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 25-01-09, 09:53 PM
OC3D Elite

when we took that bit off, the gasket was falling apart, and oil was spilling out everywhere, as was coolant...

other than that, the block looked fine though..