Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Graphics Cards
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #11  
Old 05-01-09, 06:10 PM
Cooler777 Cooler777 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='SwaleSmith'
9800GT...as said above cooler777

p.s you can always overclock!!!
why? 3850 has twice the memory AND directx 10.1?

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-01-09, 11:02 PM
Cooler777 Cooler777 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14
I`m going with the 9800GT, youve convinved me, thanks everybody who took time to help me decide.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-01-09, 11:37 PM
Hatman Hatman is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 771
9800gt is definitely the better choice : )
__________________
CM Stacker 830 | Asus P45 P5Q-E | Q6600 - 9x378 - 3400 | 2x 2GB CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 760mhz | 2 x Palit 4830 625/1880 CrossfireX | WD740 Raptor - OS | WD3200AAKS - Games | 2nd WD3200AAKS - Storage| Custom WC'ing for CPU

3dmark06 = 18k + oh yeh



Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-01-09, 01:09 PM
Rastalovich's Avatar
Rastalovich Rastalovich is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Testing hardware somewhere
Posts: 11,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Cooler777'
why? 3850 has twice the memory AND directx 10.1?
Dx 10.1 means more to people that quote the possibilities of it, than it does to any1 that attempted to use it in a gaming environment. i.e. an epeen value of zero, nada, nothing, waste of time talking about.

The memory will be of little significance unless u run resolutions in excess of a 24" monitor. Even then, there's little point in being able to load textures and screens, but being slower to process them.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-01-09, 01:42 PM
SwaleSmith SwaleSmith is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 967
Have heard that dx10.1 gfx cards will fully support dx11 is it true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Rastalovich'
Dx 10.1 means more to people that quote the possibilities of it, than it does to any1 that attempted to use it in a gaming environment. i.e. an epeen value of zero, nada, nothing, waste of time talking about.

The memory will be of little significance unless u run resolutions in excess of a 24" monitor. Even then, there's little point in being able to load textures and screens, but being slower to process them.
__________________
Lian Li V1000 Plus - Core i7 920-Rampage II X58-Watercooled With 2x Feser TFC Xchanger 120mm Rad, EK Supreme Acrylic CPU Block, Laing DDC-1T Ultra Alphacool Top XSPC Res-XFX GTX295 (Overclocked 680/1380/1100mhz) - 3x2GB (6GB Total) Corsair Dominator Triple Channel DDR3 1600mhz - Tagan Piperock 1100w PSU - OCZ Summit 120GB SSD (O.S) - 2x WD Velociraptors Raid-0 (Storage) -Windows 7 RC1 64Bit
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-01-09, 08:53 PM
Rastalovich's Avatar
Rastalovich Rastalovich is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Testing hardware somewhere
Posts: 11,419
I would very much doubt it, unless there was some bios upgrade that would cover it, or dx11 is about as much use as dx10.1.

Other than that, it would be equiv of using dx10 on a dx9 card.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-01-09, 09:24 PM
SwaleSmith SwaleSmith is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 967
[QUOTE=name='Rastalovich']I would very much doubt it, unless there was some bios upgrade that would cover it, or dx11 is about as much use as dx10.1.

Take a look....http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...announces-dx11
__________________
Lian Li V1000 Plus - Core i7 920-Rampage II X58-Watercooled With 2x Feser TFC Xchanger 120mm Rad, EK Supreme Acrylic CPU Block, Laing DDC-1T Ultra Alphacool Top XSPC Res-XFX GTX295 (Overclocked 680/1380/1100mhz) - 3x2GB (6GB Total) Corsair Dominator Triple Channel DDR3 1600mhz - Tagan Piperock 1100w PSU - OCZ Summit 120GB SSD (O.S) - 2x WD Velociraptors Raid-0 (Storage) -Windows 7 RC1 64Bit
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-01-09, 10:15 PM
Rastalovich's Avatar
Rastalovich Rastalovich is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Testing hardware somewhere
Posts: 11,419
U'll notice that ATI magazine, I mean TheInquirer, are also headlining the Apple without a keyboard in the ads lol.

We seen the m$ announcement of the Dx11 earlier in 2008. Chances are the next incarnation of windows will sport it (although it'll probably end up in dxdiag as 10.0.1.1 similarly to how 10.1 was massaged out of the limelight after devs found it a pita).

Who knows really. Chances are there will be a full Dx11 release, u'd like to think Vista would get it, but who really can guarantee that. Newsy earlier last year said the newer nvidia cards would be based on it, but the 280/260 came and went and the 285/295/whatever are almost upon us. I'd think the 3xx series myself.

Anything to force the purchase of new gear only to turn out to be a lame duck.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-01-09, 10:28 PM
SwaleSmith SwaleSmith is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 967
yes fair point...and sensible words

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Rastalovich'
U'll notice that ATI magazine, I mean TheInquirer, are also headlining the Apple without a keyboard in the ads lol.

We seen the m$ announcement of the Dx11 earlier in 2008. Chances are the next incarnation of windows will sport it (although it'll probably end up in dxdiag as 10.0.1.1 similarly to how 10.1 was massaged out of the limelight after devs found it a pita).

Who knows really. Chances are there will be a full Dx11 release, u'd like to think Vista would get it, but who really can guarantee that. Newsy earlier last year said the newer nvidia cards would be based on it, but the 280/260 came and went and the 285/295/whatever are almost upon us. I'd think the 3xx series myself.

Anything to force the purchase of new gear only to turn out to be a lame duck.
__________________
Lian Li V1000 Plus - Core i7 920-Rampage II X58-Watercooled With 2x Feser TFC Xchanger 120mm Rad, EK Supreme Acrylic CPU Block, Laing DDC-1T Ultra Alphacool Top XSPC Res-XFX GTX295 (Overclocked 680/1380/1100mhz) - 3x2GB (6GB Total) Corsair Dominator Triple Channel DDR3 1600mhz - Tagan Piperock 1100w PSU - OCZ Summit 120GB SSD (O.S) - 2x WD Velociraptors Raid-0 (Storage) -Windows 7 RC1 64Bit
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT. The time now is 11:53 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.