Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Memory

Old 28-12-08, 09:54 PM
OC3D Elite

Bit of help with Memtest

After putting up with random freezes for the last few months, I decided to do a proper memtest session. So each stick goes in, gets tested for a few passes etc. The problem is that one stick gets about 5 or 10 errors, which says its faulty. Another gets about 5 million, with every bit getting an error in one test or another (normally test 1 or 2). Normally I would call that a memtest error, but it happens every time.

I'm taking the precautionary step of RMAing two sticks and keeping the pair that seem to be working.

Anyone got any strong views or advice?

i7 3930K 4.5GHz -EK Supreme HF- Rampage IV Extreme EK Blocks - 32GB 1600MHz RAM - 680GTX SLI Koolance Blocks - Creative Titanium Pro - TJ07B-W - TCubed BigNG - 240GB SSD - 3TB HD - Dual Loop
Old 28-12-08, 10:23 PM
OC3D Elite

Have you tried tweaking every setting you can?

Memtest errors always mean either unstable settings or plain broken, the former being much more likely in my experiance.

Another suggestion might be, if its passing a few loops, then erroring check the NB temp (preferancing a digi thermometer or even your finger over any software), as overheating northbridges can have a similar effect.
Old 29-12-08, 04:40 AM
OC3D Elite

The tests start off with easier ones and get harder as they step up. If I'm after a quick test I'll skip straight to 8 and do 9.

Failing immediately at test 1 and 2 must be pretty bad. I'd put the memory/cpu to stock settings and test again just to be sure it is a settings issue and they aren't busted.

Even when busted, most memory will run without error at looser timings and less hertz.

Old 30-12-08, 05:49 PM
OC3D Elite

Turns out that that stick is fine now...must have been an error with the motherboard, it ran for 14 hours straight with its paired stick without problems. I'm just going to send back the other one, with the five errors and hopefully get a functioning pair back.

i7 3930K 4.5GHz -EK Supreme HF- Rampage IV Extreme EK Blocks - 32GB 1600MHz RAM - 680GTX SLI Koolance Blocks - Creative Titanium Pro - TJ07B-W - TCubed BigNG - 240GB SSD - 3TB HD - Dual Loop