Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat

Old 19-12-08, 11:35 AM
OC3D Elite

Haha, i took it because i enjoy it and im going to study architecture/engineering at university so it fits quite well

Old 19-12-08, 12:02 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='SwaleSmith'
if i'm honest I fell GCSE means jack $hit really
I disagree.

GCSE's are the gateway of your education. Without proper GCSE grades, you can't continue on to any reputable college or university, hence ruining whatever plans you had for the future.
Old 19-12-08, 01:00 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='gotmaxpower'
I disagree.

GCSE's are the gateway of your education. Without proper GCSE grades, you can't continue on to any reputable college or university, hence ruining whatever plans you had for the future.
Yes I know that but in real world terms it means nothing people with loads of grades don't necessarily mean that ther going to be good at there job
Lian Li V1000 Plus - Core i7 920-Rampage II X58-Watercooled With 2x Feser TFC Xchanger 120mm Rad, EK Supreme Acrylic CPU Block, Laing DDC-1T Ultra Alphacool Top XSPC Res-XFX GTX295 (Overclocked 680/1380/1100mhz) - 3x2GB (6GB Total) Corsair Dominator Triple Channel DDR3 1600mhz - Tagan Piperock 1100w PSU - OCZ Summit 120GB SSD (O.S) - 2x WD Velociraptors Raid-0 (Storage) -Windows 7 RC1 64Bit
Old 19-12-08, 01:52 PM
OC3D Elite

Great result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='gotmaxpower'
I disagree.

Without deliberately goofing off, I see little issue with pupils leaving school without atleast 5 GCSEs grade C/D and above.

These days, if u don`t have A/B/C in Math/English, I`d not employ u in anything significant.

And for the love of god do-not complain when u get minimum wage. Minimum wage is there for jobs u don`t necessarily spend a carear in. If u choose to stay in those positions, that`s ur choice not to better urself.

Life starts from those early years, and everything from parenting to educations causes a parallax effect on the years ahead of u. Failing to achieve atleast a C/D in Math and not bothering to do anything about it, well u have made ur life choice, just don`t b1tch about it when ur older.

EDIT: Basic Math is more important imo as todays society`s chief religion is cash and the use of it. I`d personally have a GCSE in Cash, and base the result on in AND Math as to how much credit u can achieve in the future.

Old 19-12-08, 05:23 PM
OC3D Elite

It wasnt GSCE.. haha.. It was AS which is the one after GCSE. I got full marks in GCSE n all haha. And im not meaning to sound up my own arse, but most people out there couldnt pass an art A-level, people dismiss it as easy which really p***** me off..

Tbf ide disagree with what was said. GCSE are required to get into college, subsequently into university and without them.. where would we be? Granted people choose to leave education, and uni isnt for all, but for many people GCSE's are their first 'Real' exam.
Old 19-12-08, 06:00 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Pat123'
It wasnt GSCE.. haha.. It was AS which is the one after GCSE. I got full marks in GCSE n all haha. And im not meaning to sound up my own arse, but most people out there couldnt pass an art A-level, people dismiss it as easy which really p***** me off..

Tbf ide disagree with what was said. GCSE are required to get into college, subsequently into university and without them.. where would we be? Granted people choose to leave education, and uni isnt for all, but for many people GCSE's are their first 'Real' exam.
Somehow, someone started a discussion about GCSE's and it followed on from that.
Old 19-12-08, 08:52 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Pat123'

Indeed the thread did evolve to GCSEs.

The whole problem is, and no1 really gives an eff about it, but universities were meant to be a place where the smartest of the smartest (including the richest of the richest in some cases, but hey they got the grades too - so who cares) went to further their education.

The majority of places required 3x A grade A-levels to get in. This is when an A was more infrequent. 3x B grades, and ur in "college", Cs and below amd ur off to polytechnic or resitting. D and below - no chance, just resits.

Those days a Physics A level meant more than a French A level. My A levels were easier to achieve than the previous years. Indeed, if WE got any grade in A level - it was a pass. To not be graded was a fail, like N or U as it was.

Eventually they made all the polytechnics universities, and swallowed the colleges. U now goto college. There are no longer vast casms considered between Oxford and lets say Liverpool or Cardiff, even, as a degree. Sure there are bigger universities still, I think 4 or 5 are considered top ones now, rather than the 2 classic ones.

Now u have a degree, no1 really gives an eff if u got it from what used to be called a shed that was part of a college belonging to a polytechnic. This is an extreme ofc and a big generalizations.

U do tho have a situation where instead of the highest achievers in a school are looked at to goto university. Every1 is considered it as their pursuit after school. A massive % of those coming out of school now go on to study degrees compared to those considered high achievers.

The govt had to remove grant funding b4 they could massage this into the system. To make grades easier to obtain would have meant the education bill would have gone through the roof and continued. Making them burden the debt and allowing the majority to goto university to get into debt, it a good money spinner for the future.

Easier to obtain ? U need to speak to an old-school lecturer to appreciate how much they used to have to teach and have the student retain compared to what they don't need to know now as either an equation sheet, dates, formula, course work (which is a fudge in itself), or sometimes open-books are provided for a final.

We spent the 1st day of physics A-level ripping dozens of pages out of text books of things we didnt need to know that the previous year did. A demonstration I feel of how the lecturer felt.

I took an O-Level early, merely cos they were being phased out and the teachers thought them that much better than GCSEs. In Math I got a B. The following year I got a A++++++++ GCSE - a complete waste of an exam. Not a waste in terms of what it is, but in comparison if u understand.

Old 19-12-08, 10:04 PM
OC3D Elite

Hell that's a lot of writing Rasta.

All this talk about GCSEs and the future is daunting me.
Old 20-12-08, 10:24 AM
OC3D Elite

In the main, what u do now in school will dictate what u can do in the future. Those small years have an impact over many future years, what I termed parallax.

Unless u r the lucky.

Unfortunately we're getting to the point in society where this fact is being countered with too much "ah nevermind u can still do this, we'll massage the rules preventing u".

It will be to our detriment in the future.

Old 20-12-08, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

/me squints and translates posts into English.

Congratulations! Being one of the top ten in your year in the country is a very cool thing

I'm just slightly panicking as I'm trying to revise AS Maths and nothing is sticking. My exam for C1 is 9th January. I got a load of Bs in GCSE (with 2 Cs and a D in music) which was good considering I was looking after my family, depressed and left home in the middle of the exams. I also lost marks in most subjects due to not having coursework. That was 6 years ago, and this year I'm attempting to get AS Maths done. I just wish my brain worked as well now as it did when I was 15/16.