Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 06-12-08, 12:09 PM
OC3D Elite

OCZ Throttle eSATA flash Drive

OCZ have launched a new flash drive, with a whole host of features.

Check out the press release here.

-----------

Project: Flat Pack - Coming soon
Old 06-12-08, 12:17 PM
OC3D Elite

I really want to have a look at one of these. Congrats on your first news post too Tom...Good work
Old 06-12-08, 12:31 PM
OC3D Elite

I really can't believe the device has turned out like this.

To get the great stuff out the way, eSATA drives are going to be the hot gadgets for the next so many months. Quite what a 32g version will allow vS a crazilly priced SSD drive - if not for speed, compactness only.

Now for the silly. Some devs are making these with a full USB connector on the opposite side - for obvious reasons. So let me ask u this.. Why put a min usb on the device ? It doesnt make the thing incredibly smaller than a full USB plug cos u have to shroud the mini usb thing with plastic anyway. (u can get usb bt things that are smaller than most peoples thunbnails)

I'm not fully sure that when people are on the move, the eSATA is going to be the connection of choice. At home for the enthusiast it will be more prominent as all quality mobos have had these connections since intel 3 series. (pci esata cards can be bought, and simple pci adaptors also)

Great device, poor secondary connection choice imo.

Old 06-12-08, 01:10 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='PV5150'
I really want to have a look at one of these. Congrats on your first news post too Tom...Good work
Thanks dude, Mainly down to your help and patience..

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Rastalovich'
I really can't believe the device has turned out like this.

To get the great stuff out the way, eSATA drives are going to be the hot gadgets for the next so many months. Quite what a 32g version will allow vS a crazilly priced SSD drive - if not for speed, compactness only.

Now for the silly. Some devs are making these with a full USB connector on the opposite side - for obvious reasons. So let me ask u this.. Why put a min usb on the device ? It doesnt make the thing incredibly smaller than a full USB plug cos u have to shroud the mini usb thing with plastic anyway. (u can get usb bt things that are smaller than most peoples thunbnails)

I'm not fully sure that when people are on the move, the eSATA is going to be the connection of choice. At home for the enthusiast it will be more prominent as all quality mobos have had these connections since intel 3 series. (pci esata cards can be bought, and simple pci adaptors also)

Great device, poor secondary connection choice imo.
I disagree. I have Mini-usb leads on my desk for camera, phone, disk caddy etc... Its easy just to plut in the drive for a small transfer rather than shifting around to get to my tower...

-----------

Project: Flat Pack - Coming soon
Old 06-12-08, 01:15 PM
OC3D Elite

My way of thinking. If ur home u would use eSATA - yeah ? It's the initial attraction of the device, and if u didn't have one or want one, u'd buy something else.

On ur travels is where the usb comes-in-handy, as u can't guarantee an eSATA connection -at-all- atm. Now in the same breathe, u can't guarantee a mini-usb connection on ur travels either, not as blanketly as the eSATA, but u have to rely on where-ever ur going having a camera or phone lead handy.

Or u carry the lead around with u.

Do u want to carry the lead around with u ?

EDIT: Can I just ask in addition to this. Do u need the usb cable to power it ? I'm not aware of eSATA having power....

Old 07-12-08, 11:17 PM
OC3D Elite

All my things use mini-usb. Phone, Camera, PSP, caddy...

That connection is pretty popular now...

That said I do see Rasts point too...
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4700mhz - 47 x 100MHz Mobo: MSI P67A GD65 GPU: EVGA GTX 570 RAM: 2 x 4GB Mushkin LV 1.35v 1600MHz DDR3 HDD: 3 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3's Case: CoolerMaster ATCS 840 - Custom House of Kolor paint job. PSU: Corsair HX750 Cooling: Custom WC - XSPC Delta V3, PA120.3, DDC Ultra with XSPC Res Top, 3/8" XSPC UV Green Tubing over 1/2" Barbs OS: Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64-Bit