Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #11  
Old 05-11-08, 05:25 PM
y eye y eye is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6
abusive slander

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Pat123'
Y eye stop looking for arguments.. its a relaxed forum, with rules yes but rast said nothing wrong.
Mod: A ruling on the name calling and now tag team bashing... ?

There is no argument. It remains open for discussion. You have drifted off subject and your interpretation is not acceptable.

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-11-08, 08:05 PM
y eye y eye is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='k4p84'
It does state that this change was started from jan 2007 so it would seem likely that most boards that you have been bought in the near 18 months would have had the change implemented.

Though it does seem strange if both AMD and Nvidia are being chased for infringement by the same company that they would not just pay up to procure a licence!

ED
Patented intellectual properties have rules of enforcement that demand notification of infringement. The amount of time for notification is in place to assist both parties, to allow reasonable time for starting legal evaluation. OPTI Inc. received legal judgment against NVIDIA for infringement. It is believed that in addition to $750,000.00 per month disbursement there will be a removal of all of NVIDIA's Bios from the web and Motherboards. There are illegal Motherboards from companies like XFX and evga that have been sold and they may be in distribution... The customer has become responsible and one price he will pay is that any updated bios will not have the blessings of OPTI Inc. and will not have their PCI Prefetch intact... degrading the performance of the boards.

Who bears the burden of proof that a Motherboard is in fact illegal? Who is responsible for enforcement... ? Maybe it is time for class action and boycott. So as long as there are, as C.D. called it, "moronic NVIDIA fanbois" out there driven by their insidious thrill of virtual NVIDIA heroism, and until they can come to grips with their mental defects... well... as old Clint Eastwood said... "Hang em High"... til then...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-11-08, 09:28 PM
y eye y eye is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Ham'
Thread cleaned. No more antagonisation form any party.
Thank you for your assistance. The interruption and distraction has not gone unnoticed.

The following review, published here at OC3D

on the 19June 08, is the introduction to and the reason for this thread. The previous posts are secondary.

The review: "Review :: XFX 9800GX2 Quad SLI :: Introduction

AuthorRich Weatherstone Published19/06/2008 SourceXFX Publish PriceŁ650.00

Comments [14] | Digg | Print

Introduction

NVIDIA's SLI (Scalable Link Interface) has been around for sometime now but up until recently SLI meant linking just two graphics cards together. Not anymore. The white coats at NVidia have been hard at work creating a flagship gaming platform enabling not two but FOUR GPU's in the form of the mighty 9800GX2 x 2. These dual-GPU cards are advertised as the pinnacle of graphics processing technology. What's that you say? Quad SLI aint new! Well OK, Quad SLI started out in life in the form of the 7950GX2 released in mid 2006 but ultimately it fell flat on its face due to scalability problems and Nvidia fell short of delivering better support due to the diminished uptake in the new technology. While the 7950GX2 worked on its own (SLI in a dual PCB - single card solution), Quad SLI performance was ultimately dismal. While I don't agree with the way Nvidia abandoned those stuck with the cards I can understand why they did it as with a new operating system and DirectX10 on the horizon, Nvidia had bigger fish to fry.

Luckily, the green side of the GPU market have forgiven Nvidia for their past behaviour and have been rewarded with some stunning GPU releases, namely the 8800 GTX. It's been a long time since we had such a fantastic, long lasting, king of performance. Not since the ATI 9700 days has there been a single card dominating the performance sector and despite their best efforts, ATI just could not compete on the same level as Nvidia. You would be forgiven then for believing Nvidia were resting on their laurels as it had been over a year before we saw a 'new' king of the hill. So what pushed Nvidia out of hibernation? CrossFireX. ATI's answer to grabbing back the performance crown. ATI GPU's simply did not have the raw power to dethrone the mighty G80, so instead ATI took a different approach and simply stuck 2 GPU's on the same card in the form of the 3870x2. Now the 3870 is no slouch so linking two of them together on the SAME PCB, with the further possibility of using 4 of the cards in CrossFireX was sure to ruffle a few feathers over at the Nvdia house and kick them into action.

So here we are today with the 9800GX2, Nvidia's flagship card(s). I say cards as although the GX2 is a single slot PCIe solution it is still two PCB's linked together rather than adapting to the ATI approach of putting both GPU's on a single PCB. This time however, Nvidia have wrapped them up in a sleek looking metal frame and rather than looking like the Star destroyer that was the 7950GX2, the 9800GX2 looks strikingly like the Monolith from "A Space Odyssey".

To evaluate the performance of Quad SLI we will be pitching the offerings from XFX against its arch rival the 3870X2 in Quad Fire (CrossfireX) which again is 4 GPU's linked together in a 2+2 format hence comparisons will be made throughout this review in an attempt to discover which solution is best for you."

Full review: The full review is titled "XFX 9800 GX2 Quad SLI : : Introduction" and may be found by searching this site.

There is no Quad SLI. There is no scaling for QUAD SLI and there will in all probability not ever be QUAD SLI Drivers.

During the summer of 2008 the 9800 GX2 became available at retail. My decision to purchase two was a slow process and when the prices bottomed I did a final review. The review listed above was the final determining factor and I purchased. My monitor was purchased early summer and I began the wait for FOXCONN's release of the Dreadnaught Motherboard. But when the Motherboard was pulled and deleted from release doubt began to set in... Articles began to appear by owners of the 9800 GX2 pointing out the limitations of TRI SLI and Quad SLI... They never were enabled.

This thread is intended to point out that the review listed above is in error and has been a determining factor for my decision making which has now become a glaring error on my part. The content is not accurate and in some places is a blatant fabrication. It is a false statement and is a NVIDIA moronic fanboi's fantasy. It is a representation of OC3D.

Mod: May I ask for a ruling on the false information recorded above?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-11-08, 10:23 PM
JN JN is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='y eye'
...

This thread is intended to point out that the review listed above is in error and has been a determining factor for my decision making which has now become a glaring error on my part. The content is not accurate and in some places is a blatant fabrication. It is a false statement and is a NVIDIA moronic fanboi's fantasy. It is a representation of OC3D.

Mod: May I ask for a ruling on the false information recorded above?
Its actually called an introduction...the beginning of a review at which point the reviewer can only go on the information given to him or speculate on what he expects to find as the product undergoes testing.

Basing a product purchase on the introduction to a review is like buying a car based on what someone who had a ride in the back seat happened to say about it.

2x 9800GX2's were tested, they got the results shown and a conclusion was drawn upon those figures.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-11-08, 10:34 PM
Ham Ham is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='y eye'
There is no Quad SLI.
I can honestly say you've lost me there. SLI is the linking of two Nvidia GPUs to perform the necessary tasks. Combining two dual GPU cards gives four GPUs, making Quad SLI. The argument could be made that because they use single PCI-E lanes, that it's not 4 cards in use, but it is not the cards that count, its the cores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='y eye'
Articles began to appear by owners of the 9800 GX2 pointing out the limitations of TRI SLI and Quad SLI... They never were enabled.
Once again this statement is beyond me. They quad and tri SLI clearly were enabled as results on not only his website but thousands of others have shown. Along with the likes of HWBot which shows the tri and quad SLIs do blatantly give a performance boost at very least with benchmarks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='y eye'
This thread is intended to point out that the review listed above is in error and has been a determining factor for my decision making which has now become a glaring error on my part. The content is not accurate and in some places is a blatant fabrication. It is a false statement and is a NVIDIA moronic fanboi's fantasy. It is a representation of OC3D.
And now you are walking on wafer thin ice. Reviewers here install the hardware, run the benchmarks/timedemos/fraps runs or what ever is needed and then report on the results they are presented with from such tests. I know, I am one. Attacking our work with nothing to back it up in any way will earn you nothing but a one way ticket out of here.

Now, please, explain yourself in clear, concise words. With evidence supplied where necessary.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-11-08, 10:34 PM
w3bbo w3bbo is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: High Peak
Posts: 1,124
Send a message via MSN to w3bbo
Your point would be a valid one were it not for the fact that the 9800GX2's were provided by XFX. I didn;t buy them nor do I own them. The 2x ATI 3870x2's the GX2's were pitched against in the review were my own, in my own rig at the time of writing the review, paid for by myself and at the time of writing were the highest performing GPU's, hence why I bought them. The two 3870x2's replaced the 3870 I had before that and the x1900 before that so exactly how does that make me a moronic NVidia fanboi? If I was a fanboi surely I would be classed as an ATI fanboi as that is what I owned at the time.

With regards to Quad SLI. The results don't lie. Scaling is quite evidently there, SLI (QUAD) obviously works as the screenshots and results from the review show. I have two friends who have bought a Quad SLI GX2 setup on the back of my review who have not encountered the problems you have. Bizarrely, it worked for them too!

If you feel the review has been misleading in some way then I offer no apologies. I cannot be blamed for enthusiasts incapability to setup a PC and cannot be held responsible for the poor performance thereafter.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-11-08, 11:17 PM
llwyd llwyd is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,726
It is in no way in the reviewers interest to fabricate results, we do not purchase items such as that for review, they are supplied. There are control methods in place to ensure results gained are consistent, accurate and reliable.

Having read the review carefully I can see nothing misleading, simply facts that do not match your personal results. I'm going to be the first and call user error on this one. Get some hard evidence and prove yourself not to be at fault and maybe then can you call the results into question.
__________________
Just ate 5 Cadbury's Double Deckers in 30 minutes

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-11-08, 11:44 PM
ScooobZ ScooobZ is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6
i have read the review through many times and i remeber the reviewer talking to me about the tests he was going to conduct on them. I am however a nvidia fan boy and owned many cards from them. I started with a 7900 GT xxx edition on a 939 sli board. At this time sli was very much a new technology and when nvidia launched the 8 series card i thought it wise to invest in another 7900GT .

Funny enough as soon as i plugged the second card in i was shocked at how much raw gfx power i had to play with . Since then i have owned a 8800gtx, a 3870x2 and now im on a 9800gx2. For my latest upgrade i have recently purchased a 790i board so i can get another 9800gx2 as they are now cheap for some more sli. When i have enough funds for the second card i cant wait to see the results. I am expecting great results and will post them when i have the card.

I also believe that the review was conducted fairly and the results certainly grabbed my attention and i am looking forward to having this setup 24/7
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-11-08, 12:29 AM
y eye y eye is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jim'
Its actually called an introduction...the beginning of a review at which point the reviewer can only go on the information given to him or speculate on what he expects to find as the product undergoes testing.

Basing a product purchase on the introduction to a review is like buying a car based on what someone who had a ride in the back seat happened to say about it.

2x 9800GX2's were tested, they got the results shown and a conclusion was drawn upon those figures.
Then go back and read the full article...

My friend is the service manager of GM CHEV in our home town. When he shows me a car I pay attention...lol

Your post is Grim. The statements in the review are false. You make this site look ...xxxx xxxxxx xxxxx. I can see no justification for keeping the review unless you enjoy perpetrating falsehood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='llwyd'
It is in no way in the reviewers interest to fabricate results, we do not purchase items such as that for review, they are supplied. There are control methods in place to ensure results gained are consistent, accurate and reliable.

Having read the review carefully I can see nothing misleading, simply facts that do not match your personal results. I'm going to be the first and call user error on this one. Get some hard evidence and prove yourself not to be at fault and maybe then can you call the results into question.
Read the statements on Quad SLI. They are false and therefore misleading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Ham'
I can honestly say you've lost me there. SLI is the linking of two Nvidia GPUs to perform the necessary tasks. Combining two dual GPU cards gives four GPUs, making Quad SLI. The argument could be made that because they use single PCI-E lanes, that it's not 4 cards in use, but it is not the cards that count, its the cores.

Once again this statement is beyond me. They quad and tri SLI clearly were enabled as results on not only his website but thousands of others have shown. Along with the likes of HWBot which shows the tri and quad SLIs do blatantly give a performance boost at very least with benchmarks.

And now you are walking on wafer thin ice. Reviewers here install the hardware, run the benchmarks/timedemos/fraps runs or what ever is needed and then report on the results they are presented with from such tests. I know, I am one. Attacking our work with nothing to back it up in any way will earn you nothing but a one way ticket out of here.

Now, please, explain yourself in clear, concise words. With evidence supplied where necessary.
I lost you on Quad SLI. +1
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-11-08, 12:42 AM
Ham Ham is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,981
Ok first off, multi quote or edit button. It's not hard.

We are inviting you to back up your claim of 'False statements'. So far all you have done is repeat yourself.

So, present your evidence. We're sat with open ears.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT. The time now is 02:27 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.