Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Software Section > Games

Old 25-09-08, 11:46 AM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via AIM to WC Annihilus Send a message via MSN to WC Annihilus
Warhammer Online?

Friend of mine is trying to get me to join him. Can get it for $35 off ebay (retail $50). I've heard good things about PvP and general gameplay. I used to play DAoC (MMO also done by Mythic that pretty much died when WoW came out) and the PvP system on it was quite good. By the looks of screenies I've seen, seems Mythic has worked to improve it.

So, anyone have some experience with it? Think I remember some people mentioning they were in the beta

MSI P55-GD65

3x Kingston X25-V RAID0

2x Evga 9600GT SSC SLI

G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3-1600

Corsair VX550w, Ghettoed Antec Super Lanboy

Old 25-09-08, 12:15 PM
OC3D Elite

Hmm eBay... if it`s a used copy I wouldn`t bother as with all online games, u don`t know if the original buyer has registered the codes or anything - with the future possiblility of claiming the account back cos they know secret setup stuff.

If u like DAoC, u will like Warhammer Online.

Although it has some similarities with WoW, which after u play it for a while u struggle to really think of what they are.... but if u showed some1 the game they`d say "oh is this the new WoW".

The graphics are decent. They move away from the *cartoony* approach that WoW had, some pretty good effects, and scenary is nice also.

The RvR is the main emphasis of the game. The constant struggle between the good/bad of 3 realm pairings (all of which can meet and fight together).

There is a PvE eliment, it`s ~really~ designed to hurry u along to the endgame (lvl40) as soon as u can, with quests, storylines and ofc the unique PublicQuest areas where u get the opportunity to fight alongside random people (or ur group or guild ofc) against a bunch of mobs with a little tale and mechanic involved. Finishing the PQ and contributing in a top position awards u a bunch of special loot.

Leveling is very quick imo. A handful of people said it was slow - but I really don`t understand where they were coming from. Without busting ur arse, u can get to lvl20 within 5 days, then maybe lvl40 within another 10. It`s all about knowing what will get u the experience as u level and when not to stay in an area that gives crap exp. Doing all-the quests available to u per level (which is about an evening`s work) which counts for nominally 30-40% of the exp for a level.

There`s hidden quests, silly quests, fun quests. Bosses, dungeons, mounts, all nicely crafted together.

Scenarios are a good idea. U click on the icon whilst ur playing ur normal game, and the system adds u to the list of players that want to participate. Each scenario is different by design, but inherently they`re are setup like 20 players from each opposing realm, and when enough people have queued for it a window pops up asking if u want to take part now. Then ur off to a seperate battleground/map to fight 20v20 (or similar), nice maps, some are like capture the flag - only there`d be 4 flags or something, with a set playing time of 10/20 minutes or whatever.

All in all, it`s the sort of game I think DAoC fans would like. Possibly WoW people who`re bored with WoW. It won`t be as big as WoW as it`s not advertized as strongly. It`s very easy to play, pretty friendly, some nice mechanics, looks good/decent (not absolutely outstanding like Fury or something, but good) and a decent engine.

Not something I like playing fulltime, so after closed beta I just left it, I didn`t like DAoC either, but it was easy to identify who would like the game. There was no challenge in it for me, and the style of PvP (or RvR as it`s realm fighting) got boring very quickly - quite simply cos there is no real penalty to dying. (it even tells u not to worry when u do ??!!!? )

But looking at the game objectively, it is something I`d recommend.

Old 25-09-08, 12:29 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via AIM to WC Annihilus Send a message via MSN to WC Annihilus
Well, person says it's brand new retail box. The fact that leveling is fast sounds good. Main reason WoW got boring for me is I didn't have as much time to play and my friends passed me by, so ended up solo grinding. Killed it rather fast for me. Nice post, many thanks for the detailed thoughts

MSI P55-GD65

3x Kingston X25-V RAID0

2x Evga 9600GT SSC SLI

G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3-1600

Corsair VX550w, Ghettoed Antec Super Lanboy

Old 25-09-08, 04:56 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='WC Annihilus'
Well, person says it's brand new retail box. The fact that leveling is fast sounds good. Main reason WoW got boring for me is I didn't have as much time to play and my friends passed me by, so ended up solo grinding. Killed it rather fast for me. Nice post, many thanks for the detailed thoughts
I know a guy over Xfire who literally plays the Beta 12 hours a day. I personally am a lover of MMORPG's, but when I find a new one I get really addicted and it takes over my life...

Old 25-09-08, 10:56 PM
OC3D Elite

Tell the Beta dood the game's been live since the 18th