Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Storage Mediums

Old 23-09-08, 06:56 PM

Raid problem

I'm having a rather big problem with my RAID 0 setup and hopefully someone can help me. See, I had these two SATA drives in RAID 0 on my old computer, using software nvraid on an MSI K8N Neo 3 Platinum board (I think that was the name... old nForce 3 mobo in any case). Now, I wanted to move these drives to my new computer (with MSI P45 Platinum, i.e. ICH10 southbridge controlling the RAID) in a new RAID 0 array. Since I don't care about losing the data on the drives, I thought it would just be a matter of setting up the RAID in the BIOS or RAID utility and it would just ignore what was on the drives and create a new array and everything would work, but... um, no.

At first I had some issues with Windows XP (which was installed on another disk before I put these drives in the machine) crashing when I enabled RAID because it didn't have the drivers installed. I then found a useful post on some other board explaining how to install the drivers after Windows is installed (I can't post the link because I don't have 15 posts, but it involved copying a driver to system32/drivers and messing with the registry) and that mostly worked. Now Windows boots, Intel Matrix Storage Manager (RAID manager) sees the RAID volume, Windows' device manager sees the RAID volume... BUT the drive doesn't appear in "My Computer". Not very practical.

I'm not sure what to do now. If I delete the RAID array, Intel Matrix Storage Manager sees my two SATA drives, the device manager sees my two SATA drives... but "My Computer" only shows one drive letter, and when I double-click it I get an error about it being unreadable. Could it be that the drives somehow remember they were in RAID in the old computer and now it's causing these problems for the new setup? I tried the put the drives back in the old machine and delete the RAID there but now that other box won't even detect the drives at all for some reason, gah!

It seems like it might be a simple thing to fix, i.e. somehow tell Windows "hey, bind a drive letter to this volume you already know exists", but I have no idea how to do that... Help?

Old 24-09-08, 11:05 PM

OK, never mind, I fixed it. It was indeed very simple, I just needed to initialize and partition the array with the disk management panel. If anyone ever has the same problem: you right-click "My Computer", select manage, then it's under storage.