Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 17-09-08, 10:59 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='webbo'
But somewhere along the line NVidia should have been commended for incorporating PhysX into their cards no?[/SIZE]
Is the addition of Physx not just a driver/software update? They did not own Ageia when the 8 series was been made yet it is now Physx capable.

ED

Old 17-09-08, 11:00 AM
OC3D Elite

My mentality: Can something else be put on? If not, why not, if so...new parts here we come. This is mainly why the case is a rats nest of wire, has a 220mm fan on the outside and has one drive bay left...

i7 5960X 4.5GHz -EK Supreme EVO - Asus - X99-WS-E - 32GB 2400MHz RAM - 680GTX SLI Koolance Blocks - Creative Titanium Pro - TJ07B-W - Plextor 240GB PCIe SSD - 3TB HD - Dual Loop
Old 17-09-08, 01:14 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='k4p84'
Is the addition of Physx not just a driver/software update? They did not own Ageia when the 8 series was been made yet it is now Physx capable.

ED
Afaic, the initial release of the nVidia variant of the Aegia drivers was merely a recompile of the existing source.

They happened to use the gpu, they could equally have used the cpu, and what it looks like they`re point towards was a selector for the user to use whatever they chose.

The code must be either that good, or that well structured, that they were capable of adapting it in whichever fashion they wanted. This could be cos it was perhaps dev`d as a cross platform or simply x86 for giggles and final compile for the pci physx cards.

Either way, it was obviously easy for nVidia to cope with and manipulate to an extent. I feel they automatically discounted the cpu calculator in preference to gpu/physx-pci-card as the gains are that much greater.

Get some gaming companies rolled in tbh !!

Old 17-09-08, 03:20 PM
OC3D Elite

I reckon that as Physx was coded in C, the PCI card could handle that, and as the 8 series onwards have got CUDA (C with a bit of adaptation) it wouldn't be too difficult to use the graphics chips in the way described above

i7 5960X 4.5GHz -EK Supreme EVO - Asus - X99-WS-E - 32GB 2400MHz RAM - 680GTX SLI Koolance Blocks - Creative Titanium Pro - TJ07B-W - Plextor 240GB PCIe SSD - 3TB HD - Dual Loop
Old 19-09-08, 07:20 PM
OC3D Elite

Sorry for the double post, but:

What were the temperatures for the 280GTX XXX? I have an Asus card (air cooled) that is OCed to about 645MHz and one (the primary) sits at 72 on load, the second sits at 80 (after a quick 2 hour stint on crysis at max settings and 8xQ aa)

Old 22-09-08, 09:19 PM
OC3D Elite

The 4870x2 had such a hit in FPS with enabled PhysX becasue the calculations had to be done on the cpu which means obviously youll take a hit in FPS where with the Nvidia card the calculations are done on the GPU meaning greater FPS.

People need to realize what exactly PhysX is and does before judging it and performance vs eye candy.

PhysX is nothing but added on eye candy which is going to actualy stress whatever its run on more. The GTX had the upper and becasue it can calculate PhysX faster than a CPU in case of the 4870x2. So if you enable that PhysX button expect a drop in FPS, not an increase. Vantage on the other hand gets an increase becasue the calculations are done on the GPU ratehr than the CPU so obviously youll get more FPS. Games though, are the opposite.

Also, saying lack of PhysX games is actualy quite untruthful. There are alot more PhysX enabled games than you might think. Devs just dont make a big stink about it like they did with UT3....which imo was a flop.
Old 24-09-08, 05:58 PM
The Webmaster

afaik physx was implementable because of the unified shader unit things.

Because the 8 series were the first to use these they are the first to be able to use physx, i think its the same in the 280's they have SO MANY unified shaders they have more spare for doing physics calculations. thats my view on it anyway? i don't think there is any EXTRA hardware per-se its just the way the code was adapted, and the shaders adapted to be able to calculate complex physics?

I got a physx card when i got my 8800gts before the ownership change and can compare the performance between the 2 and honestly (oddly) the 8800 kicks its ass :| which is shocking.

but then those 'unlock a 100% performance gain' drivers never appeared for the physx cards that they were on about on release.
Asus x79 Deluxe | Intel 3930k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3 | 2 x 3GB Gigabyte Windforce 780GTX - SLi | Xonar Essence STX | 2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros | 2TB Samsung F4 | NZXT Hale 90 v2 1000w | Caselabs SM8 - White | 2 x Alphacool 360x60 | Bitspower 400mm Res Top | Dual Laing D5 Pumps | Bitspower C47 Fittings | XSPC Raystorm | Roccat Kone Pure - White | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702 Reference Headphones | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm Headphones | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
Notice: Don't feed the trolls!