Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 17-09-08, 08:07 AM
OC3D Elite

Do 2 4870X2 out perform a pair of 280s in SLI? I heard that it scaled poorly in Xfire. Is the cooling on this xxx the same as normal, because I had very little difficulty on getting higher clocks, I was just worrying about the heat (2 cards = viable alternative to a heater)

I wonder when forceware 180 comes out and see whether the cards are better optimised then?

i7 3930K 4.5GHz -EK Supreme HF- Rampage IV Extreme EK Blocks - 32GB 1600MHz RAM - 680GTX SLI Koolance Blocks - Creative Titanium Pro - TJ07B-W - TCubed BigNG - 240GB SSD - 3TB HD - Dual Loop
Old 17-09-08, 08:52 AM

All the 280's have the same cooling as std apart from the 2 w/c ones from BFG and EVGA afaik.
Case: Silverstone TJ07B-W, Psu: Tagan BZ-1300, Mobo: EVGA 790i Ultra, Cpu: QX9650, Ram: 4GB OCZ EB DDR3/1600, Gpu: EVGA 2xGTX 280, HD: 4x500gb Sata-300 Barracuda, DVD: Pioneer 215BK, Sound: Asus D2X/XDT, O/S: Vista Home Premium x64, Monitor: Dell 2408WFP

Loop 1: CPU/NB/SB/M.F : Rad: PA120.3, Fans: Xilence Blue Led, Res: XSPC 5.25, Pump: Ultra+EK Top, CPU: D-Tek V2, NB/SB/MF: EK

Loop 2: GPUx2 : Rad: Stealth 360, Fans: Xilence Red Wing, Res: XSPC 5.25, Pump: Ultra+EK Top, GPU: EK GPU+RAM
Old 17-09-08, 09:01 AM
OC3D Elite

Get your quotes on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='webbo'
No offence intended m8 but did you actually read the review or just skim over it? The review was aimed more towards PhysX, something I don't feel has had enough exposure. /snip
No offence taken, I appreciate you put a lot of work into the review and it was an interesting spin to look at physx but I remember the big fuss 2 years ago about the physx card on this site, for it then to be revisited again a year later here and then for nvidia to take it on and add it in the 9800 series and now to see it again... It just isn't innovative if it has been done before on nvidia gpu's and there isn't anything innovative about this particular 280 which was my point. I don't want any animosity between a fellow member so in future I'll explain my points fully...

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Rastalovich'
Think Mr. Smith may be leaning at with the PhysX aspect is.. well.. the 9800GTX will do the PhysX too, and so on.

%age of "good" games that come out and those games that utilize PhysX isn`t that big a margin. /snip
Bingo.

Quote:
If there is one thing NVidia are good at it's marketting. NVidia are invariably bigger than ATI and so will no doubt push the physX onto game developers. I honestly don't expect PhysX to fade like it did with AGEIA.
I'd like that to be true but my gut feeling is that if after 2 years physx isn't getting off the ground, will it ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Kempez'
I'm with Mr.Smith on thisone.

THIS I agree with, the review was excellent and it's great to see something different., nicely done.

BUT the actual product is no more innovative than anything else currently on the market - where's the XFX 280GTX XXX Edition's unique innovative feature above the all the rest of the GPU's out there?
QFT and I did say it was a decent review in the first place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='PV5150'
Nice review mate and I do appreciate the PhysX angle, however I have to agree with what has been said previously about the 'Innovation Award'. If you give it to this card, then you really ought to award it to all GTX 280's in order to be fair across the board.
QFT.

It was an interesting read and it has sparked debate and interest so I'dsay the review was a hit
Old 17-09-08, 09:09 AM
OC3D Elite

I thought all cards had the same cooling solution, just wanted to make sure before putting the clocks sky and and suddenly smelling burning silicon

i7 3930K 4.5GHz -EK Supreme HF- Rampage IV Extreme EK Blocks - 32GB 1600MHz RAM - 680GTX SLI Koolance Blocks - Creative Titanium Pro - TJ07B-W - TCubed BigNG - 240GB SSD - 3TB HD - Dual Loop
Old 17-09-08, 09:31 AM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via MSN to w3bbo
Ok fair one - maybe this card alone does not deserve the innovation award. But somewhere along the line NVidia should have been commended for incorporating PhysX into their cards no? Surely it would be unfair not to give any of the cards the award, much the same as it wouldn't be right to give them all the award as by now the 'innovation' should no longer be innovative. As you all rightly say, the 280 is at the end of a long line of cards capable, so it should really have been the very first review of a card by NV that was capable of PhysX.

Sadly, this is the first time PhysX has been explored on a GPU at OC3D due to it being missed in previous reviews and as such, the first time we have really become aware of the innovation, so it only seems right, that this is where the innovation award is awarded. It is no good burying our heads in the sand, denying that it isn't innovative as it has been done before. It may well have been done before but when did it get recognised? When was the award handed out previously?

Sorry guys, but the innovation, albeit delayed in being awarded, is here to stay.

They don't still stone people for handing out awards do they?
Old 17-09-08, 09:41 AM
OC3D Elite

I think its a good card but doesn't add anything new because even a vanilla card can be OCed. It is a great review for exploring Physx, something of which I hope we see more of in the future.

With forceware 180, will we be able to use any 8,9 or 200 series for physics processing? If does it have to be SLIed because an albatron 8600GT PCI card looks good for that?

Old 17-09-08, 09:45 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:

They don't still stone people for handing out awards do they?

Old 17-09-08, 09:49 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Mr. Smith'

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Diablo'
I think its a good card but doesn't add anything new because even a vanilla card can be OCed. It is a great review for exploring Physx, something of which I hope we see more of in the future.

With forceware 180, will we be able to use any 8,9 or 200 series for physics processing? If does it have to be SLIed because an albatron 8600GT PCI card looks good for that?
The 'Big Bang 2' drivers are said to include the following :

* Multimonitor support for SLI

* Display Port support

* OpenGL 3.0

* Hardware video transcoding

* GPU PhysX support

* Performance optimizations

Whether the physX support is aimed at using, say, a low end card for PhysX only and a high end card for other GPU calculations I couldn't say but it would certainly be a neat way of utilising your old NV GPU's.

For those who want to give PhysX a try out, here is the latest driver:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_8.09.04_whql.html
Old 17-09-08, 09:54 AM
OC3D Elite

I'm in the rather annoying position of having a really nice sound card and not wanting to get rid of that in order to stick a third x16 card in. Hence the pure power of a PCI bus card (try saying that while eating)

Old 17-09-08, 09:56 AM
OC3D Elite

I'm fairly confident SLI 280GTX's will be able to handle PhysX m8.