Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat > Serious Discussion

Old 04-08-08, 08:24 PM
OC3D Elite

Got a job, now...jobs?

right, as you may, or may not know, i got my job at mcdonalds

i have some lousy shifts...

tomorow, 10 - 4

wednesday 5:30am - 2pm

thursday same ^

friday 4pm - 3am

saterday 2pm - 7pm

and i get sunday off

and thats money for me, which is good

but i started thinking, thats 170 quid a week, or 340 quid bi-weekly, when its paid, thats 680 a month, or 8160 a year..

ish

thats a hell of a lot of money..

more than i've ever seen

my bank statement usually goes 30 in, 30 in, 30 in, 30 in, 80 in, 160 out..

160 being my phone bill..

30 being my ema, and 80 being my saved up spending money that my gran still gives me (20 quid a week, even tho i'm 18 (i'm spoilt ))

is working at mcdonalds really that bad

i aint been for my first day yet

but still..

maybe i should just pack in college, and work there full time

it would save a lot of time, hastle, effort...etc..

atm i'm between my first and second years on the Btec national ICT practitioners software development course

i wanna work in computer hardware if anything, but that was the only course that even touched on computer hardware..

at uni, it looks like its just software software, and more software

networking is good, but i mean proper hardware, like amd, intel, nvidia, ati, hardware design...

like electronics..

i dont think i have the brain for it

but..

what does anyone think?

mcdonalds, or a proper career?

Old 04-08-08, 08:31 PM
OC3D Crew

I know one thing...........next time I am in Brid, I'm coming for a freebie burger
Old 04-08-08, 08:32 PM
OC3D Elite

LOL

cant do that, i'd get fired..

if i so much as nicked a fry i'd get fired...

they're rather tight bout those things lol

where do you live anyway?
Old 04-08-08, 08:35 PM
OC3D Crew

aww, nowt better than a freebie Big Mac, they taste better when they are free

I'm from Donny mate, go to Brid quite a bit.
Old 04-08-08, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mate use mcdonalds as a stepping stone by all means, but don't let it be your actual career. I think you should stick to your college- it will be useful in the long run.

Sure £8k seems like a lot now, but believe me you would not last a couple of weeks in the real world on that amount of money- try getting your own flat, paying for food, leccy, petrol etc with that money and you would not be able to do it.

If you become an IT support technician etc you can expect very reliable work, as we all know computers always break, and you will have a rewarding job which you will enjoy and find challenging. Stick it out for now and you will look back on mcdonalds as a summer job, not a serious career choice

Old 04-08-08, 09:02 PM
OC3D Elite

ahh cool, last time i went to donny i was on the train, heading to sheffield for a day out....last summer methinks lol

and mcdonalds seems good for the moment, but...hmmm......
Old 04-08-08, 09:18 PM
OC3D Crew

Kerotan's right mate. The way to go is education. McDonalds is an OK job if you use it as a stop gap, it's better than doing nothing. The money may seem like a fortune now, but when you start thinking about getting your own pad, it wouldn't leave you with much to spare at the end of every month after the bills were paid.

Apart from lower management, there isn't really much chance of career progression with McD's either. IT is the way to go nowadays, and if you have the chance of gaining some valuable qualifications and skills go for em!!
Old 04-08-08, 09:54 PM
OC3D Elite

hmmm...

but i'm not as good at ICT tbh..

i'm okay with the building, overhauling, and rebuilding, and reinstalling and upgrading of physical systems, then basic software stuff...but thats it...
Old 04-08-08, 10:19 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via AIM to WC Annihilus Send a message via MSN to WC Annihilus
Can always learn, hmm? But what is it that you enjoy? I personally think that for a job it would be better to do something you enjoy rather than make tons of money. A lot of hobbies can be turned into careers

MSI P55-GD65

3x Kingston X25-V RAID0

2x Evga 9600GT SSC SLI

G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3-1600

Corsair VX550w, Ghettoed Antec Super Lanboy

Old 04-08-08, 10:36 PM
OC3D Elite

I can vouch for what's been said.

I left school at the start of year 8... About 12 I think that made me. I had a year and a half of doing nothing with no learning what so ever. I then started doing some tuition in Maths and English and only took 1 GCSE and at roughly the same time I did the ECDL course at about 15 - 16. I knew barely anything about computers at that point. Hardly used them.

Did a couple of Pitman expert courses in Word and Excel and did an NVQ in Admin while earning about £80 a week and then a Modern Apprenticeship in IT while doing Admin work on about 12k a year. Got made redundant from that job at about 19 I think and then 2 weeks later got Mumps and then Glandular Fever so was out of commission for about a year with no job.

Was hard to get a job with a year long gap on the CV at such a young age but got a chance working in HR with Hounslow Council as a temp on about 14k.. I was temping there for about 18 months and finally got offered a contract with the Council, albeit a year long contract as there was a recruitment freeze on. Bang up to 19k and all was good until recently when about 400 people got made redundant including my supervisor. I'm not overworked but earning more on around 23k. In two years gone up 9k but I'm not that happy there as it's such stress now.

Saw an IT Support Officer job advertised on the Council Intranet and decided to apply. I have no experience in IT and it wasn't exactly a junior role. While I hadn't done exactly what they asked for in the job specification, I just applied things I've done in other jobs and in my spare time that show I can do those things. 153 people applied and some a hell of a lot more qualified than me and to my surprise the offered me an interview a couple of Fridays ago. Went there not expecting too much so was nice and relaxed. I felt the interview went well but again wasn't expecting to get the job over so many people. On the very next Monday morning, I received a call at work offering me the job. This was only about 2 weeks ago now.

Sorry to go on but I just wanted to say that while it can seem impossible or you may feel you couldn't get a certain job, it's always worth putting in the time and effort on a good application and just trying your luck.

I was running out of time to get into IT as I wouldn't have gone to College to get the qualifications and IT Junior roles pay very little. Saw the right opportunity and went for it. I mean I left schooling with 1 GCSE...

If you show your enthusiastic and capable and come across well then even if you haven't got the experience, you'll still be in with a shot.

/life story...
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4700mhz - 47 x 100MHz Mobo: MSI P67A GD65 GPU: EVGA GTX 570 RAM: 2 x 4GB Mushkin LV 1.35v 1600MHz DDR3 HDD: 3 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3's Case: CoolerMaster ATCS 840 - Custom House of Kolor paint job. PSU: Corsair HX750 Cooling: Custom WC - XSPC Delta V3, PA120.3, DDC Ultra with XSPC Res Top, 3/8" XSPC UV Green Tubing over 1/2" Barbs OS: Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64-Bit