Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 27-07-08, 04:07 PM
OC3D Elite

Strange how PC graphics cards drop in price rapidly but consoles seldom do. Obviously manufacturers are placing the prices artificially high ti milk gamers of their money.

Old 27-07-08, 04:51 PM

thats might be a good point it is quite weird how the prices come from 400 to like half the price in no time
Old 27-07-08, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='chefinal'
thats might be a good point it is quite weird how the prices come from 400 to like half the price in no time
Recouping R^D and initial distribution costs, getting yields up to a respectable level and of course knowing that people will buy it cause it's 'new'.

Then something comes out that people might see as 'better value' so the price gets dropped along with the profit margin, although this is oft recouped by a different manufacturing process or just higher chip yields.
Old 28-07-08, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Poor R&D on both hardware and software are to fault. However its not all doom and gloom for PC gaming, alright FPS players are converting to consoles in there droves, but RTS and mmorpg players will always prefer pc. At the end of the day you might slate it but the success of WoW has kept pc gaming profitable. 11 Million at nearly £10 a month, you work out the numbers, and there only just releasing it in Russia and South America. Theres great expectation for Warhammer Online as well, I have always preferred PC's but I have always like Role Playing (ask my GF ) I think you chose your platform dependent on what game types you prefer, and were hitting this mark where consoles have hi jacked some of the more traditional PC genres, I think though with Digital Distribution and the mod squaders that PC gaming is a chore, and its not for everyone, but I love my PC, I love the fact that I built it with my own hands, using nothing but my cunning wit and use of fire and brimstone to give me my personal gaming machine ...I will now go put on my night elf costume and go shopping in morrisons...see if I can get frisked by the security guard (again) !!
Old 28-07-08, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='ionicle'
infact, when you turn on a pc, you should be given an option of like "dvd/film/video watching, operating system, gaming" you pick the one you want to do, and only key bits of the operating system are loaded, optimised for what it is you want to do, asus had a good idea with their express gate..

This made me smile, I used to have this kinda thing in my autoexec on my old 386 years ago. Games used to use to different memory protocals and you had to choice this at start up (think one version was Himem.sys and I cant remember the other)
Old 28-07-08, 03:47 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Kempez'
Recouping R^D and initial distribution costs, getting yields up to a respectable level and of course knowing that people will buy it cause it's 'new'.

Then something comes out that people might see as 'better value' so the price gets dropped along with the profit margin, although this is oft recouped by a different manufacturing process or just higher chip yields.
Pricing, esp. in the uk, is dependent on their feeling on how much people will pay for the product. In excess of sourcing, production, r&d, competition considerations.

Prime example is US prices vS UK.

Old 28-07-08, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

hahahaha....I found an old boot disk labelled "games" during a cleanout from my 386 the old autoexec.bat and config.sys....and then this gets posted....theres strange forces at work here ...maybe its just coincidence...
Old 28-07-08, 04:12 PM
OC3D Elite

Does ASUS`s "boot within X seconds and ur on the net!" linux thing do dvd stuff ?

Old 28-07-08, 04:32 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Duecut'

This made me smile, I used to have this kinda thing in my autoexec on my old 386 years ago. Games used to use to different memory protocals and you had to choice this at start up (think one version was Himem.sys and I cant remember the other)
Ahh those were the days. Don't forget smartdisk. Without that you're hard disk would run slower than a floppy drive lol
Old 28-07-08, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Rastalovich'
Pricing, esp. in the uk, is dependent on their feeling on how much people will pay for the product. In excess of sourcing, production, r&d, competition considerations.

Prime example is US prices vS UK.
Oh agree totally, was just talking about pricing in general. Of course UK prices are inflated, but there's always a link initially to R&D and stuff