Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Screens and Displays

Old 23-07-08, 10:59 AM
OC3D Elite

Looks the same as one of my Acers, and a HP I`ve seen apart. Wouldn`t supprize me if the lcd connectors are standard per size.

Just searching "laptop lcd monitor hack", I came up with this guide:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Lapt...o-2nd-Monitor/

I haven`t read it fully, but the links that led to it seem to suggest people do it quite alot.

Old 23-07-08, 11:03 AM
OC3D Elite

Hey mate...its FAR from being easy.

Firstly you need an inventor for powering the screen/backlight. This is something that will probably be built into the laptop's mobo, so you'd need to find out if there is a separate one that you can buy which will take a 12v in from your PC's PSU and change it to whatever power req's the screen has.

Then you'll be needing another board that can accept VGA input and convert it into a usable output for that screen. The screen you've got there is nothing more than a plate of pixels - It has no idea what DVI or VGA is.

The screen i used for my project was actually taken from a HTPC case. The screen had all of the above contained within a unit behind the screen. It wasn't cheap either - ~£300
Old 23-07-08, 11:24 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jim'
Hey mate...its FAR from being easy.

Firstly you need an inventor for powering the screen/backlight. This is something that will probably be built into the laptop's mobo, so you'd need to find out if there is a separate one that you can buy which will take a 12v in from your PC's PSU and change it to whatever power req's the screen has.

Then you'll be needing another board that can accept VGA input and convert it into a usable output for that screen. The screen you've got there is nothing more than a plate of pixels - It has no idea what DVI or VGA is.

The screen i used for my project was actually taken from a HTPC case. The screen had all of the above contained within a unit behind the screen. It wasn't cheap either - ~£300
I've got the inverter and that is connected on the back of the lcd using sticky tape. Good thing it wasn't built onto the motherboard.

Only thing I think I need would be a suitable controller that can acheive 1280x800 resolution
Old 23-07-08, 11:27 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Hassan'
I've got the inverter and that is connected on the back of the lcd using sticky tape. Good thing it wasn't built onto the motherboard.

Only thing I think I need would be a suitable controller that can acheive 1280x800 resolution
Ahh good stuff. Any idea what input power the inverter has? I doubt it would be 12v, so you'd also need to sort that side of things out.

As for the controller, www.rswww.com has some iirc, but getting one that works would be a bit hit and miss.
Old 23-07-08, 11:46 AM
OC3D Crew

I do not know what the input power of the inverter is. Do not know where to look. Will check Google though

If anyone can help me, the laptop was a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo 1705
Old 23-07-08, 12:08 PM
OC3D Crew

OK

Searched everywhere on Google, but no info found for what the power intake is.

So I took a photo of the inverter which has some info which I think maybe the power intake.

So what do you think?
Old 23-07-08, 01:14 PM
OC3D Elite

You're right, absolutely nothing online about it. A few of the other inverters I came across were 12-15v, but they look a fair bit more beefy than urs:

I suppose the main thing would be to get the controller sorted first. Worst case scenario you could try running the inverter at different voltages (starting low) with a variable mains adapter or sommit.

EDIT:

This is the kind of controller ur after:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=6204135
Old 23-07-08, 02:24 PM
OC3D Crew

What if its 10v

All I see is the number 10 on my inverter
Old 23-07-08, 02:32 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Hassan'
What if its 10v

All I see is the number 10 on my inverter
If it turns out to be 10v there's a number of easy ways we can get the 12v line dropped down to that level. The voltage is the least of your worries
Old 23-07-08, 03:22 PM
OC3D Elite

Maybe get the pin-out for the lcd plugs, against a vga 15 pin, the lcd connectors look very much the same to me.

I can`t see it being anything over 12v for the sake of sensibility, and to be fair anything up to 12v u can make a little circuit for, maybe not even requiring a pcb.

Don`t think u necessarily need an inverter.