Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 12-06-08, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

I know what you mean about sports etc, but there reaction get better within that field of sports for example track running, waiting for the pistol, reaction times are just part of the benefits that could be experienced with the NIA, but reaction times are just part of gaming, ive taken plenty of people out inplenty of FPS that have better reaction times by using my cunning you might have the fastest reactions on the planet but running into a battlefield with a pair of your mums knickers on your head shouting "I am the wafflemaster" won't get you anywhere it does help having a good reaction time, but its not the be all and end all,

Old 13-06-08, 07:22 AM

I didn't claim it was the end-all did I? Reaction accuracy > reaction speed, and positioning and wits can help beat better aiming players.

I just want to map some buttons to it and hope they work FAST In CoD4 I've got knife mapped to the keyboard atm, I often press it in a twitch when running into someone. If I could map it to my mind it'd save me buttons + it might be faster. That's what I'm hoping to see in this thread, whether or not it made you guys faster or even if it's just a decent replacement for the keyboard, keeping my fingers on the strafe keys.

What you say about sports isn't true btw, I've competed on a european level in martial arts for a decade and the reactions & coordination just carry over to mousing (ultra low sense mousing is similair to the lower arm motions in sporting). I've read plenty of examples online of athlethes picking up FPS games easily for similair reasons. Funny thing is that some of my other team members have something similair, their hand-eye coordination somehow carries over from guitar play, making their wrist-aim style really smooth =D

Edit: just read in Chris Buer's report that he is faster still with the mouse than with NIA. Any numbers available?

The eating while playing thing sounds difficult, I grab a small bite or a drink occasionaly while playing...
Old 13-06-08, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

I agree....theres loads of real world applications that can be transferred into gaming....we supply some military tech companies that use simulations in training....wether its sports,military, guitar playing anything that increases reaction time and hand eye co-ordination is beneficial....I think you'll just have to have a go on an NIA and see what its like...coz it is quite a weird experience....and very difficult to explain the feeling of it....
Old 13-06-08, 10:37 AM
OC3D Elite

A lot of people don't look at their hands when they play guitar... That wouldn't improve hand eye coordination.

I spose for the people that do though it could help.
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4700mhz - 47 x 100MHz Mobo: MSI P67A GD65 GPU: EVGA GTX 570 RAM: 2 x 4GB Mushkin LV 1.35v 1600MHz DDR3 HDD: 3 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3's Case: CoolerMaster ATCS 840 - Custom House of Kolor paint job. PSU: Corsair HX750 Cooling: Custom WC - XSPC Delta V3, PA120.3, DDC Ultra with XSPC Res Top, 3/8" XSPC UV Green Tubing over 1/2" Barbs OS: Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64-Bit
Old 13-06-08, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

I dont get your point Bengral, hand eye coordination does not require you to look at your hands, it requires you to synchronize what you are seeing with what your hands need to do...
Old 13-06-08, 02:17 PM

Yeah, if you can finetune your wrist movements to that extent, high-sens mousing isnt hard either. It's just general muscle control.
Old 13-06-08, 02:58 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jaster'
I dont get your point Bengral, hand eye coordination does not require you to look at your hands, it requires you to synchronize what you are seeing with what your hands need to do...
Bengral?

The guitar players I know don't look at anything?? They just play? That's my point. So that wouldn't help their hand eye coordination one little bit. It would improve their dexterity though.
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4700mhz - 47 x 100MHz Mobo: MSI P67A GD65 GPU: EVGA GTX 570 RAM: 2 x 4GB Mushkin LV 1.35v 1600MHz DDR3 HDD: 3 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3's Case: CoolerMaster ATCS 840 - Custom House of Kolor paint job. PSU: Corsair HX750 Cooling: Custom WC - XSPC Delta V3, PA120.3, DDC Ultra with XSPC Res Top, 3/8" XSPC UV Green Tubing over 1/2" Barbs OS: Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64-Bit
Old 13-06-08, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

right gotcha...but if you were reading music or tabs...then it would...or playing guitar hero ... but yeah if your doing it from memory it doesn't count....
Old 13-06-08, 03:16 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jaster'
right gotcha...but if you were reading music or tabs...then it would...or playing guitar hero ... but yeah if your doing it from memory it doesn't count....
Well that one there possibly does it the most.... Games like guitar hero where it is intensive hand eye coordination. I find myself seriously needing to blink sometimes as my eyes feel as dry as nun's gusset
Old 13-06-08, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

defo on hard and above..