Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 15-04-08, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

LAN-ability of Watercooling?

Hi guys, I lan on a weekly basis and want to push the envelope as far as my q6600 (B3 rev.) goes, I currently run a scythe andy samurai master with a delta fan whacked on it for the banter (31 degrees idle/38 degrees load @ 2.66 ghz) but I fear the delta+600grm cooler on intel push pins is about the limit that my p5n-e sli can take (need new mobo to overclock the q6600 further).

What i want to ask is, with a well assembled Water cooling loop (cpu and maybe the NB/S stable and strong enough to regularly LAN with? I generally keep the case upright for transport. I dont want to go with a full E-ATX tower either, and I am considering the Lian LI pc-7 plus 2 or Coolermaster cm690 for my next case. I am leaning toward the lian li as it looks nicer and is aluminium (easy cutting)

I also have no experience of what is required to cool a q6600 well enough to hit 3.2ghz or so. I was thinking the XSPC with a 240mm rad and 2x scythe juni's @ 1900rpm. Also, is it worth buying a dedicated resevoir? or will the pump/res combo work ok?

Thanks.

Old 15-04-08, 05:33 PM
OC3D Crew

I would assume that LAN-ability is realted to the outside connections of the WC setup. If the pipes are only from inside to rad (eg 1" staright) then I personally cannot see why it would matter. If your really worried a draining point would mean no water present so no worries.

I think the pump-res option is for those with limited space (me) but i'm not sure of the upside to the separate option. Aside from more choices that seems to be it but then again choices gives you scope for more bits.

As for cases my Centurion seems to be large enough and I intend to LAN actively still once fully fitted. BTW I am Q6600 and SLi and am limited space wise by components not really by case. Its also not ugly.
Old 15-04-08, 06:43 PM
OC3D Elite

Erm, whats the case and loop budget?

So long as you dont have liquid in the loop when transporting it should be fine. The PC-7 is a small case mind, not the best for water cooling, however i think you could fit it in if your prepared to do alot of cutting. To cool the Q6600 a thermochill 120mm could handle it with a decent water block such as the D-TEK fusion or EK supreme.
Old 15-04-08, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

hmm no liquid when transporting? surely i'd need to bleed the bubbles out of the loop after the journey, sounds like a PITA to me... maybe I'll just stay with air cooling....

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 15-04-08, 11:01 PM
OC3D Crew

I would think careful transport and careful building would be enough to not worry. Draining is simply an extra precaution. You could build a bubble jar (possibly a DIY job) at the tops of the loop and just release it within a few minutes.
Old 16-04-08, 09:20 AM
OC3D Elite

Well, i say it has to be drained, it dosent HAVE to be.. Its just safer imo. It just the bubbles and possibilty of a leak.

Bubbles are easy enough to get out just move the case around abit..
Old 16-04-08, 09:29 AM

i tryed lanning at a friends with my dual loop stacker 101 it was hell, my back felt like it was snapping in 2, never again with a stacker, the thing weighs 20kg before u even get started
Old 16-04-08, 01:36 PM
OC3D Elite

h20 for lans is fine, use compression fittings for extra security. no need to drain either.

seperate pump and res gives better perf.

get an apogee gt if you are on a budget or the ek/fuzion for best perf. Radiators are much of a muchness, if you are tight for space get the BI stealths ~25mm iirc, double 120 and you are away.
Old 16-04-08, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Cool, I am maybe going to look at getting a new motherboard first however (EVGA 750i FTW or a x38 chip one), only thing i face is that Watercooling is going to be EPICALLY expensive and I am not sure that I will be able to justify the expense for a few extra degrees (I am currently clocking my q6600 @ 2.66 and 36 degrees idle/44 load) and that is with cheap TIM and a poor cpu/hsf seating (gonna get me a backplate xD). I will order a backplate and some new TIM and see if that makes much of a difference.

I am currently looking at getting (if i go for a watercooled rig :P)

CPU (probably buy individual parts)

Chipset (NB+S

This is probablys all i would want to WC for my overclocking as I am undecided as to what I am going to get mobo/gpu wise.
Old 17-04-08, 02:04 PM
OC3D Crew

Your Q6600 seem to hardly be stressed at those temperatures. Mine runs 54 idle and 69 load at 3.0GHz stock voltages. You can crank that up a bit more before you watercool and so that means you don't need to watercool just yet.

If at first you don't succeed, buy a new part