Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Sub-Zero Cooling
Closed Thread

Old 02-11-04, 12:11 AM

An AT is an old standard for power supplies. Any power supply you buy now in stores is ATX.

The solution offered has the drawback though of 1) having to turn everything on and off manually and 2) prometia won't shutdown the pc if it goes past its heat threshold. Not that big of a deal I guess as long as the motherboards own internal sensors shut down the cpu fast enough in case of failure.

What motherboards do we know work by holding reset? I have tried asus P4C800 and abit ic7-max3 and neither do. Does the Mach2 have the same problem or did they do something different?

Old 02-11-04, 03:53 PM
OC3D Elite

The Mach II doesn't hold reset mate, the power switch actually turns the Mach unit on and then the mach unit turns the mobo on when it's at temp.

Boardy

Benching - CPU's = E6600 & Q6600 G0 SLACR / Mobo's = P5B "Vanilla" (stock) & P5WDH-D (fully vModded) / RAM = 1Gb PC5300 Crucial Ballistix Tracers & 1Gb Team Xtreem PC6400 custom / HDD = 160Gb IDE Cudda

(highest rank ever: 25th at 05 Nov 2006 12:30, most hwboints ever: 127.6 points at 05 Nov 2006 12:30)
Old 03-11-04, 10:20 PM

That must be on a circuit board or something? Can you buy just that component and rewire the mach1 compressor to use it?

How does the mach2 draw power if the power to motherboard is suspended? Does it have its own powersupply?
Old 03-11-04, 10:40 PM
OC3D Elite

1) Unfortunately the Mach I isn't compatible with the Mach II circuit boards, and there not available anymore since nVentiv went bust.

2) The Mach II has some sort of power supply yes. Basically its control board is its motherboard if you can picture that, which has high power relays on. When the power switch is pushed the board sees this and switches the relays over to supply power to the compressor. Thats the simple working of it, it's much more complicated than that but I havn't figured much more out yet.

The Mach I does the same only using the main mobo in the system as it's realy if you will, and uses simple technology to simulate the reset button being held down until the right temps are met, and releases reset. This is where problems arrise with boards that don't hold reset and why nVentiv came up with a new design for the controllers.

The plug that goes into the Mach unit is the power for the compressor and Mach unit. Nothing is actually powered by the PSU in the PC on the Mach units unlike Vapo PE, and XE's, the molex is only used to let the control board know that the PC is powering up and not to shut down again. Uses some sort of PIC Microcontroller in it, with a built in program running enabling all of this in the Mach II systems. The Mach I was the same sort of idea only much simpler.

Cheers

Boardy

Benching - CPU's = E6600 & Q6600 G0 SLACR / Mobo's = P5B "Vanilla" (stock) & P5WDH-D (fully vModded) / RAM = 1Gb PC5300 Crucial Ballistix Tracers & 1Gb Team Xtreem PC6400 custom / HDD = 160Gb IDE Cudda

(highest rank ever: 25th at 05 Nov 2006 12:30, most hwboints ever: 127.6 points at 05 Nov 2006 12:30)
Old 03-11-04, 10:54 PM

That's kind of what I thought.

Depressing.
Old 08-11-04, 11:38 PM

Vaopchill's older units seems to have some problems with these boards that don't hold reset as well.

http://forum.vapochill.com/showthrea...1397#post21397

They seem to be using the reset out of their unit and splicing into the PWR_OK of the mainboard PSU.

Couldn't same thing be used on the Prometia mach1? The case power switch would close PWR_ON turning on both the prometia and the mainboard power.

I'm assuming the reset out from the mach1 is closed at this point until operating temp is reached? If you spliced the reset out from the mach1 into PWR_OK and ground wouldn't this close the circuit on PWR_OK out from the psu to the mainboard preventing normal POST from happening until which time the mach1 came up to temp and opened the PWR_OK?
Closed Thread