Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 02-11-07, 10:05 PM

New build SATA / VISTA help needed.

Hmmm ok, before I smash this thing up, I'm obviously making some glaring mistake here... I thought Vista would recognise a SATA drive but apparently not...

Got a P35 DS3R board

Maxtor DiamondMax 21 250Gb Sata 2 drive

160 WD Caviar on IDE as master

20x Samsung IDE DVD drive on same channel as slave.

now, when I boot with the vista dvd in, it takes ages to get anywhere. usually it takes a click of the dvd eject button and i can proceed.

it asks for a driver, which i presume is the maxtor sata driver (???) but... i cant find a driver.

I've found some SATA drivers on the gigabyte cd that came with the mobo, but Vista installation doesnt recognise ANY of them (x32 or x64) as the correct.

I've already corrected a schoolboy error (had the sata2 drive connected in a yellow socket, not the purple one).

what drivers do i need and where do i get em?

Old 02-11-07, 10:38 PM
OC3D Elite

Firstly the HDD and ODD shouldn't be on the same PATA channel. They work, but don't get on.

Next you'll need your SATA drives in the orange slots (according to this) as you'll need the drivers to run off the 'Gigabyte ic'. I suspect its a j-micron controller like every other manuf uses. Whereas they should work straight off the ICH9R chip.

Lastly head over here and grab the sata drivers from the bottom, whack them on a floppy/pen drive and hit F6 as the installer loads off the disk.
Old 02-11-07, 10:40 PM

You might want to try here, you'll have to load them on a floppy (Windows XP) or CD or Flash Drive (Vista) to get them to load. But there are some instructions on the Gigabyte site as well.

http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Support/...ProductID=2580

You'll also need to check which MoBo version you have as well (version 1 or 2) as I think they might be different drivers.
Mountain Mods U2-UFO, Gigabyte EP45T Extreme, Intel C2Q Q6600 @ 3.6, Patroit DDR3 4x1024, Sapphire 4870 Toxic, Seagate 7200.10 250 Gig, Lite-On DVD & DL DVDRW, OCZ Gamer X Stream 700w, Soyo 24" LCD & 19" LCD.
Old 02-11-07, 11:02 PM

thanks guys... im new to this sata stuff...

woth regards to the 2 drives on one IDE channel.... so if I have jus tthe ODD drive.... i it's not worth having my one of my other drives on there too? i have a 160gig wd caviar with 8meg and a 250g maxtor with 16meg. both have stuff on i need. i it worth getting an external caddy y'think and running them via usb2??

gotta shut this machine down to retry the other one. i'll be back - one way or another!
Old 03-11-07, 10:03 AM

Still no joy.

Gets past the driver thing now, but then says something about the volume not being validated or something.

Have removed the jumper on the HDD so it's not forced to 1.5Gb and connected to a yellow socket. Left all the settings in the BIOS at factory.

Even tried a copy of XP but after copying the files over and the first reboot, it said it couldnt find the hard drive.

Hmnnn.
Old 03-11-07, 10:50 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='aphex2k'
thanks guys... im new to this sata stuff...

woth regards to the 2 drives on one IDE channel.... so if I have jus tthe ODD drive.... i it's not worth having my one of my other drives on there too? i have a 160gig wd caviar with 8meg and a 250g maxtor with 16meg. both have stuff on i need. i it worth getting an external caddy y'think and running them via usb2??

gotta shut this machine down to retry the other one. i'll be back - one way or another!
I can`t offer any info in regards to the mobo and it`s settings.

But just to put u in the picture with the IDE channel:

Obviously there are 3 connections on the IDE ribbon cable. One end, often blue, goes into the mobo. The opposite end of the cable, often black, is the MASTER connection, the remaining middle connector is the SLAVE.

With drives connected like this, and with us being in the 21st century now, both of the drives can be set to CableSelect(CS) with their jumpers.

Whatever drives, optical or hard, the speed the IDE connection as a whole opperates at is determined by the slowest of the 2.

The only reason to set the jumpers to Master/Slave on the drives is if u`r using either older drives or ones u know don`t get along with each other - in both of these cases tho, u r inherently trying to force them to get along and this will lead to problems somewhere down the line. Performance or reliability.