Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 01-10-07, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

If you read the article I linked it basically says that unless you're going to overclock the AMD and Intel mid-range chips come out about the same.

So, the choice of which chip basically comes down to the question "are you going to overclock?".

I think if you're going to use this for recording then you want it to be fairly quiet? In which case you perhaps want an air cooler with a large slow moving fan. This probably limits the extent to which you can overclock.

I'm not sure what sort of noise watercooling makes, but I suspect it's going to be too expensive in comparison to air cooling.

So, all in all AMD might be a good choice. In which case I would look at socket AM2 hardare (instead of socket 939 .. what do the rest of you think?)

I would use http://computers.pricegrabber.co.uk/ to find something that has the features you need.

The AMD AM2 chips range from £40 upwards.

The AM2 compatible motherboards range from £35 upwards, the cheaper ones are mostly Micro ATX which basically just means they take up less room and generally have less PCI slots, usb and firewire ports. I don't expect you will need a large number of PCI slots perhaps see if you can get:

1x PCI-E 16x (for future graphics upgrades)

3x PCI slots

4-6 USB

1-2 firewire

As for RAM well it depends on what the motherboard supports but I would expect you to need DDR2 800mhz AKA PC-6400, you can get 1gb from as little as £26 but I would look at getting a 2gb dual channel kit for something like £45+

We didn't figure out exactly what component in your current system is causing the blue screens so we're not sure if the motherboard (disk controllers), the ram, or the disk drive itself is at fault, or it could simply be a driver issue.

Old 01-10-07, 08:32 PM

Hey,

Well no i probably wont overclock it seeing as i dont have the knowledge !

I found this on price grabber http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...roductID=23289

and this CPU http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(16094)...00-Retail.aspx

Is it worth me getting a dual core though ? or would i better just sticking to something like http://computers.pricegrabber.co.uk/...02583/details/ and i found this RAM http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(11779)...R2-PC5400.aspx

Soo, what does everyone think and what could be better value ?
Old 01-10-07, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

The motherboard looks fine, it has the onboard graphics mentioned in the article as being the best performing and it has PCI-E 16x so you can upgrade in the future.

I would go for dual core, it's only £10 more and should perform a lot better.

That ram is labelled as being "PC-5400" which is .. just wrong .. I think they mean "PC-5300". The motherboard will take PC-6400 and you should be able to find some of that for a similar price, if you can find some with CL4 aka 4-4-4-12 timings that would be best too but if that's too pricey then CL5 aka 5-5-5-15 timings will have to do.

Like Hodgstar said have a look in the for sale section, you can often pick up something better 2nd hand than you can retail.
Old 02-10-07, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Did you see the komplett offers this week:

http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthr...140#post168140

Specifically:

"OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC6400 2GB KIT, w/two 1024MB PC6400 XTC,CL4-4-4-15, Rev2 running in this weeks weekly offers... only £50 this week!!!"
Old 15-10-07, 03:39 PM

Hey,

I have attached a list of parts that i am thinking of ordering for the rebuild. Is it a good choice or have i made any silly mistakes ?

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pc parts.jpg (75.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 15-10-07, 04:27 PM
OC3D Elite

What`s an Aureon Soundcard ? and more importantly is it better than onboard sound ?

And I don`t know about having the harddrive cooler if it`s positioned near a case fan.

Old 15-10-07, 04:33 PM

Yeh, im not sure too get that sound card or not.

Especially if i want to use it for recording, i might be better off skimming ebay or something.

The nearest fan to the hardrive is at the back of the case, its only an idea.

Anyway, i will see if theres any better sound cards about. Does the rest of it look any good though or are there better bits i could get for the money ?

Cheers
Old 15-10-07, 11:03 PM
OC3D Crew

Take a peek http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/cpu...md/am2/k9agn2/for a review on that motherboard.

It looks like you can save yourself a few quid, the board's i/o ports feature firewire so no need for the pci Firewire card.

Old 16-10-07, 03:34 PM

Ok, thats a really good point, thanks for pointing that out. Also, does that motherboard seem ok, will it last and is it a reasonable price ?

Anyway, back to the saga of a sound card. What do you reckon ?

Should i use the onboard sound or buy a seperate one or hunt around ebay for a second hand one ?

Finally, something i forgot to ask was about the PSU. It is 300W. Is that substantial for the new bits or would i be better getting a higher power one ?

Cheers
Old 16-10-07, 04:03 PM
OC3D Elite

My personal thought is that a £12 or so soundcard is ~probably~ not going to be much of an improvement on the onboard sound.

That mobo above `looks` similar in layout to the Abit AN-M2HD, which is a great little card in itself.

So if the firewire, gfx and sound are covered by the mobo, you can run with that and be able to add to it in the future.

The 300w psu u got there is from the case ? If so it may not be a good thing to stick with moving forward. A quality 300w-400w would do u ok. Thing is with psus, especially generic ones given with cases, they`re badged at something like 300w - but that can sometimes be the maximum they got them to do in a lab.

If I were u, u haven`t got loads of harddrives, u haven`t got loads of pci cards, I would go for a solid 400/450w - which would give u some head-room for some expansion in the future. A quality psu is a nice foundation.

(noticed the ASROCK board u got in that case is one I have a 2600+ in here )