Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat > Serious Discussion

Old 02-10-07, 12:05 PM
OC3D Elite

Good luck Hyper. Look smart, tell the truth, be confident and show them your eagerness to learn.

Old 02-10-07, 12:33 PM
OC3D Elite

There are three levels of minimum wage, and the rates from 1st October 2007 are:

£5.52 per hour for workers aged 22 years and older

A development rate of £4.60 per hour for workers aged 18-21 inclusive

£3.40 per hour for all workers under the age of 18, who are no longer of compulsory school age.

Source

Sorry I'm late on this mate, a suit is a must imo. Polish your shoes, wear a belt, cut your nails, smarten yourself up to the max.

When you enter the room smile, say hello, shake hands, make eye contact when doing so and smile again. Sit down if there is a seat. Keep your body language open, take your time and relax. You don't have to answer every question and don't be afraid to ask to come back to that one.

Most interviews are competancy based these days - so have a few eg's of common ones - team player, solving a problem, dealing with confrontation, etc etc.

Good luck
Old 02-10-07, 01:40 PM
OC3D Crew

didnt know they had a toys r us in the uk, hope all goes well. do you guys have a best buy too?
Old 02-10-07, 03:53 PM
OC3D Elite

Just to keep you all informed the interview went well this morning.

I arrived a little bit early so had a scout around the store before going to the front desk and finding out where to go. The interview began with 6 of us and we were paired into groups and had to find out as much as possible about your partner and then deliver this back to the group. My partner was rather shy which was an invite for me to dominate this part of the interview where I began to ask all the questions and hopefully made a good impression to the interviewer than I was confident and not too shy. After this we had to design a poster for Toys R Us at Christmas and then choose parts of everyones poster to make one final big poster. My posted was basically a Toys R Us banner at the top, a xmas tree all decorated and all the other things you would relate to xmas but no presents under the tree which was surrounded by children with sad faces. I then wrote underneath "Dont dissapoints your kids this xmas, shop at Toys R Us". Which went down well and ended up on the final poster. After this we were given a basic skills test which I found rather easy and then were called into a room and asked the usual questions of why I wanted to work at Toys R Us, etc etc. I feel I handled these all quite well and they said they couldnt tell me if I had the job or not but I would hear back from them in a couple of days.

I will keep you all updated.

8GB DDR3 - M4 64GB SSD - Corsair HX520W - Dell 24"

Logitech G5 - Logitech Z-5500 - Sennheisser HD555

Macbook Pro 13" 2011, 4GB DDR3, M4 128GB SSD
Old 02-10-07, 04:14 PM
OC3D Elite

It's in the bag by the sounds of it
Old 02-10-07, 04:25 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Hyper'
Just to keep you all informed the interview went well this morning.

I arrived a little bit early so had a scout around the store before going to the front desk and finding out where to go. The interview began with 6 of us and we were paired into groups and had to find out as much as possible about your partner and then deliver this back to the group. My partner was rather shy which was an invite for me to dominate this part of the interview where I began to ask all the questions and hopefully made a good impression to the interviewer than I was confident and not too shy. After this we had to design a poster for Toys R Us at Christmas and then choose parts of everyones poster to make one final big poster. My posted was basically a Toys R Us banner at the top, a xmas tree all decorated and all the other things you would relate to xmas but no presents under the tree which was surrounded by children with sad faces. I then wrote underneath "Dont dissapoints your kids this xmas, shop at Toys R Us". Which went down well and ended up on the final poster. After this we were given a basic skills test which I found rather easy and then were called into a room and asked the usual questions of why I wanted to work at Toys R Us, etc etc. I feel I handled these all quite well and they said they couldnt tell me if I had the job or not but I would hear back from them in a couple of days.

I will keep you all updated.
What sort of work does this involve ? Seems a bit more than "stacking shelves" in the evening.

Only interviews I had in that area took a matter of minutes chat, walk around the premesis and `can u start on monday ?`.

Looks pretty much more detailed than I thought it`d be. They`ll probably round up all the efforts and come forward with a new official poster they`ll actually use at christmas - US employers do that with students.

(that was for Boots btw.)

Old 02-10-07, 06:51 PM

I had a similar interview with M&S for part time work, involving walking round and spotting people in need of help and doing all sorts of stuff. They should really just check to see you can talk basic English and still have a fairly strong pulse imo
Old 02-10-07, 08:22 PM

Sounds like it went OK, my first interview was the dogs b*****s tbh... So many pointless random questions that have NOTHING to do with a 16yo who just wants a job for money, jesus. JD Sports is lame anyway, don't even like physical activities... :P

But good going, my fingers are crossed for you.
Old 04-10-07, 09:27 PM
OC3D Elite

Got a phone call of Toys R Us today while I was on the bus.

They offered me a job in the warehouse part, where people give you tickets and you fetch things through. Sounded good until she said would you be willing to do 24 hours a week, 6pm till 10pm on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and 2pm till 10pm on a Saturday. I was on the bus so didnt have much of a chance to think about it and just said yes ofcourse on the phone. Now that I have thought it over if I did those hours I would have no social life and no time to study for college. Tried ringing back tonight but the person who called wasnt around. Going to ask for either 16 hours or more hours on a Sunday & Monday (i am off college on a monday) and less through the week and Saturday.

Hope we come to some agreement as the job sounds good and the pay is £4.40 per hour.

8GB DDR3 - M4 64GB SSD - Corsair HX520W - Dell 24"

Logitech G5 - Logitech Z-5500 - Sennheisser HD555

Macbook Pro 13" 2011, 4GB DDR3, M4 128GB SSD
Old 04-10-07, 10:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Ermm.. slave labour? lol.. wouldnt be too bad but 24hours is WAY to much with college aswell.. i do about 10 and i find it hard to do my work and have a social life..