Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > Introductions

Old 12-09-07, 02:49 PM

Newbie all over! Oh no....

Hey, i am a newb all around to overclocking. I have done the AI overclocking before but never manual. But I think I am ready to venture out into the world of overclocking. We'll see. Hopefully all of you can help me get my feet wet so to speak. So, in advance forgive me for any ignorant questions I might ask.

So, for my first questions.

Is it worth it for me to overclock it, a simple "hell yeah!" will do since I am already convinced myself I'd just like to hear someone else say it. And, can the system I have run games like Quake4 and QW:ET or is it ET:QW anyway (Quake Wars). I have tried the demo for both and it is jumpy. I think my computer should be able to handle it. I would like to fix it. So let me know if my system just can't handle it. Because I would hate to be wasting my time trying to tweak it for that.

I am running:

Mobo: ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel

Proc: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775

Vid: EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB

RAM: 2x Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

PS: HEY EVERYONE!

Old 12-09-07, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

According to this you meet the minimum requirements... but I suspect you want to run it at full detail right?

I have a similar system and am not overclocking, yet. I'll start overclocking once I find a game that wont run at full detail. I don't have Quake 4.

I suspect you're gonna get the "hell yeah" response from most of the rest of the peeps here.
Old 12-09-07, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Welcome to the forums

"Hell Yeah", i tried the demo the other day and didnt notice any jumpyness, got the same graphics card.. but the 320mb model... =/, and everything was on max, and even one option i turned even higher then highest settigns :S.

But i am running a Quad, oc'd to 3Ghz.

Hate to ask but have you updated all your drivers etc?
Old 12-09-07, 03:17 PM
OC3D Elite

Can we give this boy a hell yeah???

HELL YEAH!
Old 12-09-07, 03:45 PM

You know, I would like to say I have updated all my drivers. But, I'll double check when I get home from work today. Just to be safe. It really bothers me though. Because I am pretty sure my system should be able to handle it no problem. But I mean I was having issues at resolutions of 640x480 and bad ones at 800x600. That just kinda freaks me out. I think my old system could have handled that.
Old 12-09-07, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Mr. Smith'
Can we give this boy a hell yeah???

HELL YEAH!
Old 12-09-07, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='rkshelton21'
You know, I would like to say I have updated all my drivers. But, I'll double check when I get home from work today. Just to be safe. It really bothers me though. Because I am pretty sure my system should be able to handle it no problem. But I mean I was having issues at resolutions of 640x480 and bad ones at 800x600. That just kinda freaks me out. I think my old system could have handled that.
i forgot to mention im running 1680x1050.... there deffinatly is somthing wrong with that, if it persists after driver update, maybe format (what i do if i come across a problem lol :P) and start afresh?

But even if your system cant (which it should) OCing is still worth it.
Old 12-09-07, 04:28 PM
OC3D Elite

Welcome to the forums matey!

And HELL YEAH!
Old 12-09-07, 05:16 PM

Hey mate welcome to the forums

Deffo worth overclocking, it's like saying

"Shall I buy this medium speed processor, or this more expensive faster one for the same price?"
Old 12-09-07, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Azreil_2'
... there deffinatly is somthing wrong with that, if it persists after driver update, maybe format (what i do if i come across a problem lol :P) and start afresh?
*Sigh, it appears my drivers are up to date. At least my driver for the video card itself. I didn't update the drivers for the on board video though. Could that do it? I thought it would just pass it off to the other card. I hate to re-format though, such a pain! That's an all niter for sure.

( Forceware 162.18 And BIOS 0608[6/11/07] )