Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Software Section > OS & Apps

Old 19-08-07, 08:08 AM
OC3D Elite

Need HD encoder or something?

I want to encode some movies to HD but idk what program i can use to do that. Any help would be much obliged

Old 19-08-07, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Looks like Virtualdub and the HC encoder should do what you want.

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archi...p-t333951.html

This link is actually about turning single frame images into HD video but the software should be the same for you I suspect.
Old 20-08-07, 07:16 AM
OC3D Elite

Will it turn regular movies into HD movies? Cause thats what i wanna do. Make like a regular .AVI and turn it into a high quality movie.
Old 20-08-07, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='PP Mguire'
Will it turn regular movies into HD movies? Cause thats what i wanna do. Make like a regular .AVI and turn it into a high quality movie.
You cant do that - you wont ever be able to increase the quality of a .avi or anything like that as its already been encoded.

Its like trying to increase a 64kbps MP3 to a 320kbps one - it aint going to happen.

You can "SCALE" DVD's to HD Resolution but they still wont look any where as good as HD Content.
Old 20-08-07, 10:39 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Its like trying to increase a 64kbps MP3 to a 320kbps one - it aint going to happen.
Umm you sure? Because i turn my normal CD trakcs and rip them into Windows Lossless Audio. It sounds ALOT better. And ive seen MANY people talk about how they encode on the fly while watching movies in HD.
Old 20-08-07, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
i turn my normal CD trakcs and rip them into Windows Lossless Audio.
Cos your taking it from the Source you cant make a 64kbps into a Lossless audio file as it has already been encoded and lossed parts of the sound.

Quote:
And ive seen MANY people talk about how they encode on the fly while watching movies in HD.
That make no sense with what you are asking - you can not make a .avi file equal the same quality as HD, you can increase the resolution but that does not make it HD Quality.
Old 20-08-07, 11:06 AM
OC3D Elite

It`s a similar arguement to alot of the movies they show on the HD channels. Many of them don`t exist in HD, but they`re encoded better than the standard mpg u get through a regular digital signal. Doesn`t mean it looks any better than the standard dvd version of the film.

Old 20-08-07, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

You can upscale DVD very well to 1080i and the image will look VERY decent for DVD but will be nothing compared to a true 1080i source.

http://projecthtpc.co.uk/software3results.html

Check the above page for images showing the differnce of well scalled DVDs
Old 20-08-07, 11:14 AM
OC3D Elite

Yeah cos which ever way u look at it, u`r making 1 pixel = 4 pixels (as a bad example).

Old 20-08-07, 11:24 AM
OC3D Elite

As on the fly thing its hard to explain. They kept on saying how while watching the movie they where making it HD on the fly and how they needed such a great processor to do it or else their sound and all would be off. Idk, it was over my head. But i figured since i can encode audio files i should be able to encode movies as well.