Originally Posted by name='Mr. Smith'
Seems like you could have a sata/pcie frequency problem...
Also with the sound, uninstall/reinstall your drivers. I has a crackling issue and I can't remember what I did to fix it!
I'll mull this over and get back to you, if someone else doesn't beat me to it!
I had crackling sound once and it was caused by IRQ conflict. My sound crackled as I moved the mouse! It was somewhat obvious where the conflict was
I'd suggest trying all these one at a time:
1. Toggling the PnP OS/Resources controlled by/etc setting in the bios
2. Resetting the configuration data (ESCD)
3. Checking the IRQ assignment for the sound card, and comparing it to other hardware, disable the other hardware and see if it solves the sound issue.
It's possible the sound card is sharing an IRQ with the video card and you obviously cannot disable the video card so, if the sound card is in a PCI slot, move it. Each PCI slot typically has a limited selection of IRQ's and moving it may allow it to select a new one.
4. Update to the latest sound drivers (I assume from your earlier comment you've already done this)
5. Lower the hardware acceleration for the sound card, turn it off entirely.
I assume you cannot put the old PSU back in as Mr S suggested?